IDPA SSP Rules Question

Discussion of handguns

IDPA SSP Rules Question

Postby TeeBee on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:49 pm

I'm looking for some other's opinions (and possibly IDPA rules expert's) on my interpretation of the allowable modification section of the stock service pistol (SSP) division. I own a CZ75B Omega suppressor-ready. Based on the IDPA size requirements, it is too large in height, and the barrel is too long.

If I change out the +2 magazine, with a factory 75B magazine, the height is within the 6" maximum. I believe that is permissible within the rules. The barrel length is where I would like some input. If I purchased a factory 75B barrel, it would bring the handgun within the 5" maximum length. However, would this be a violation of stock service pistol rules? Since the suppressor-ready 75B comes stock with the barrel that exceeds rules, would this put my choice out of SSP classification, as I have then changed the handgun's stock configuration?

I would like to throw out for consideration that the rules allow changing of sights to other notch/post styles. If I had purchased a standard 75B Omega, and changed out the sights, with suppressor height versions, it would be in compliance of the rules. Under this hypothetical, the only difference between my suppressor-ready 75B (fitted with the 75B factory length barrel) and a factory 75B Omega, would be the urban grey coloration.

Maybe this could be an opportunity to purchase a SSP class handgun that I know would be within the rules of that division. ;) I would just prefer putting the money saved, with a barrel purchase, into ammunition and match fees.
Member GOCRA
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" -TJ
TeeBee

Re: IDPA SSP Rules Question

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:39 pm

The way I read the rule book, it would not be allowed in SSP.

The book says same barrel must be the same caliber and configuration as factory original. The configuration part is what would burn you, a local match might let it pass given their inexperience with the models but at a sanctioned event I don't think you'll get away with it.

You would be better off getting the standard, changing the sights and shooting it. Then if you wanted a suppressor, buy the threaded barrel and swap it out.

Sounds crazy, I know, but IPDA rules are crazy at times.
mmcnx2

Postby crbutler on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:06 pm

I not as up on the IDPA rules as I used to be, but contrary to the above, I think you would be ok.

The suppressor height sights are ok.

The gun is available with the standard barrel from the manufacturer. Basically, unless there is something else different with your version and the standard version other than the sights and the finish, it is the same firearm.

In uspsa I know you are fine. Idpa sometimes gets an so who interprets things a bit differently. If you really want a definitive answer you can email IDPA directly and ask... then keep that email printed out and give it to the SO if you get questioned... IDPA is much more centralized in its decision process, but is generally pretty responsive.
crbutler

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:00 pm

Under USPSA I would agree, you'd be fine. However IPDA can be much pickier, the major issue I foresee is the urban grey color is specific to the suppressor models and that may make it deemed a unique model, which would exclude a barrel length swap for SSP. I have a 75 SA, but wanted a stainless. So initially I was going to buy a stainless DA and convert it to SA but was told it would excluded because the SA does not come in stainless. IPDA's theory, from what I've been told, is this prevents people from assembling components from different models from the same manufacture and creating an advantage by creating the best of the best form a single manufacturer. Agree best to contact IPDA, and get it in writing!
mmcnx2

Return to Handguns