J frames

Discussion of handguns

Re: J frames

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:06 pm

Now you get to think about carrying spare ammo. I use the (so-called) Speed Strips in the summer, and Safariland speedloaders whenever I'm wearing a vest or coat, or just don't care how lumpy my pants pockets are. One thing about the Safariland speedloaders is that, for reasons I've never understood, they're never in stores, unlike the HKS which are everywhere. I got most of mine from Midway.

Also I find this guy entertaining.

Pat Cannon

J frames

Postby LumberZach on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:23 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:Now you get to think about carrying spare ammo. I use the (so-called) Speed Strips in the summer, and Safariland speedloaders whenever I'm wearing a vest or coat, or just don't care how lumpy my pants pockets are. One thing about the Safariland speedloaders is that, for reasons I've never understood, they're never in stores, unlike the HKS which are everywhere. I got most of mine from Midway.

Also I find this guy entertaining.

On the topic of speed loaders, do the safariland loaders work with the factory grips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby smurfman on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:45 pm

All the various brands of speed loaders tend to work with the standard factory grips, it is the aftermarket and/or custom order stocks where on can have problems. At least that was my observations of the various service revolvers of all makes and models I have been exposed to since the early 1980's. Most of the aftermarket grips worked fine but I did have a set of rubber Pachmyer target stocks that were a little too big but a minute with a sharp knife removed the offending material. If one stays with the typical duty models of both revolver and grips it is unlikely a problem will arise.
smurfman

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:05 pm

LumberZach wrote:On the topic of speed loaders, do the safariland loaders work with the factory grips?

They work with the factory grips on my Ruger GP100 and SP101, both the older style Lett grip, and the Hogue the GP comes with nowadays.

I don't have an HKS for the GP100 to compare, but the Safarilands I have for the SP101 are the same body diameter as the HKS, actually a hair smaller.

(That's an Imperial hair, or "something under a hundredth of an inch")
Pat Cannon

Postby INOR on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:42 pm

Thanks. I already ordered a pocket holster and a couple of speedloaders via Amazon.

I've been watching a lot of Yankee Marshall vids lately. He's kind of a dork but amusing and funny if you can appreciate someone with a dry sense of humor who makes fun of himself and others equally.
INOR

J frames

Postby LumberZach on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:47 pm

It's entirely possible that I'm attempting to push the hks speedloader further than it's supposed to go, but when using with my j frame 442, the speed loader seems to get a little stuck against the grip with the rounds both in the cylinder and speed loader. It's more than likely user error though.

LumberZach

Postby INOR on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:02 pm

In choosing a gun, I briefly considered the Taurus M85 just because it's really cheap right now because of the rebate. Think PSA is selling it for $199 and after the $40 rebate, it's $159. But, that was a fleeting thought. Taurus still feels like a mid-80s Hyundai to me. (Sorry if that offends any Taurus folks here.) Plus, the M85 has a hammer. And I was leaning toward the 642 to begin with. It was really between trying out that or a LCR, but I just like the looks of the 642 better. I'm looking forward to receiving it. I don't think the trigger will be a problem for me. I have an older LCP and that thing has the worst DA trigger pretty much ever invented.
INOR

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:49 pm

As long as we are on the topic, what are peoples recommendations on grips? I see that DeSantis makes a "Clip Grip" that has a notch to catch the waistband of your trousers or the top of a boot without having to have a holster.
While I am usually a strong proponent of having a holster that covers the trigger area for daily carry, the heavy trigger pull on my 642 tells me that an AD would be very difficult, even with an exposed trigger.

Thoughts?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

J frames

Postby INOR on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:19 pm

I put a clip on my LCP recently and while I usually have the gun in a pocket holster, I have carried it a few times with just he clip in IWB. I'm comfortable that no AD is likely. The LCP trigger is really long, heavy, and grainy feeling. I'd similarly be ok clipping it on the inside of a boot. The clip holds pretty tight.

INOR

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:20 pm

When I want to carry a wheel gun, I borrow my wife's S&W 638. It isn't fun at the range, but it makes a great pocket gun. I also have HKS Speedloader and the strips like Pat uses. For pocket carry, I prefer the strips, simply because they aren't as bulky.

My regular CCW is a Glock 30 (11 rounds of .45 ACP). I like having the extra rounds and a spare mag with 10 more rounds, because I'm not able to run, should a fight occur.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby usnret on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:26 am

You should carry a Glock 21 magazine for back up. It holds 13 rounds of 45ACP.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:45 pm

usnret wrote:You should carry a Glock 21 magazine for back up. It holds 13 rounds of 45ACP.

On occasion I do carry one of the G21 mags. Sometimes the extra weight isn't conducive with my carry options
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Drizzle on Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:45 am

642 was my primary carry gun for several years. Now I switch off with a G42, depending on whether I want to pocket carry or not.

I had one of those that had flaking finish, and sent it back to Smith some years ago. They fixed it, plus free shipping both ways, at no charge.

There's a way to shoot a 642 where you can stage the trigger with a quick pull for 3/4 of the travel, then a short pull for the last bit to fire. Takes a bit of practice (and a well broken in gun-do a lot of dry fire with snap caps if yours is brand new), but it almost replicates cocking a hammered j-frame. Bennie helped me improve my technique.

I have six or seven snubbies; hammer, hammerless, shrouded, round butt, square butt, blued, stainless. All great for pocket carry, but if you don't care how big the butt is, find some bigger rubber grips, and you'l like shooting it a lot more. I've got some big old Herretts on my Colt Agent, and it's fun to shoot. The boot grips that came from the factory are what's on my 642, and they work well. Not much protection for your hand with the exposed backstop, however.

I have a couple I would part with for a reasonable price. PM me if you have any interest.
Drizzle

Postby Hmac on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:48 am

INOR wrote:In choosing a gun, I briefly considered the Taurus M85 just because it's really cheap right now because of the rebate. Think PSA is selling it for $199 and after the $40 rebate, it's $159. But, that was a fleeting thought. Taurus still feels like a mid-80s Hyundai to me. (Sorry if that offends any Taurus folks here.) Plus, the M85 has a hammer. And I was leaning toward the 642 to begin with. It was really between trying out that or a LCR, but I just like the looks of the 642 better. I'm looking forward to receiving it. I don't think the trigger will be a problem for me. I have an older LCP and that thing has the worst DA trigger pretty much ever invented.

My son bought one because it was cheap, returned it for indexing defect, they gave him another one but it had the same problem. The third one had such a crappy trigger that he took it back and finally bought the J-frame.
Hmac

Postby Rodentman on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:35 am

I had a J frame 38 spl but found it so unpleasant to shoot that I traded it. Don't recall what the trade was for, but I'm sure it was ugly.
Rodentman

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns