Larger bore Wheelgun

Discussion of handguns

Larger bore Wheelgun

Postby INOR on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:03 am

Now that I have my first revolver, feeling like I want another, but something full size and DA/SA action, probably Ruger, S&W, or maybe Taurus. No specific purpose in mind other than target shooting and potentially carrying as a sidearm in bear country.

I'm not a reloader. Truth is I'm intimidated by all that goes into that and don't feel like I have time to properly study and learn that craft.

So whatever I buy for a next revolver needs to be in a caliber that is reasonably available off the shelf. Guessing that steers me just to .44 mag and perhaps not some of the larger bores like 454C, 460, or 500?

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Re: Larger bore Wheelgun

Postby Ghost on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:22 am

<—— 460V

When I bought it I did it because you can shoot 45 colt, 454 and 460. I hardly shoot anything other than 460. One of the most fun guns I have. I have carried it in a diamond d chest rig while hiking in Alaska several times. Great gun.
Ghost

Postby crbutler on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:34 am

Depends on how much you are willing to spend.

The .44 mag will be the least expensive to buy, and to shoot.

If initial price isn’t an issue, the .460 would be more versatile in that you can shoot .45 colt, .454 casual, and .460 ammo in it.

The .500 is better as a hunting gun, but is more cash all around.

The s&w “X” frames are substantially bigger... they weigh more than some long arms.

To fill a “desire” I would get the .44 mag.

The next choice is single action vs double action revolver. Personally I dont care for the single action plowshare grips in heavy recoil guns... the rolling with recoil is touted as being a recoil reducing by many...I just feel like I lose control of the piece in recoil. It’s an individual thing.

The rugers have a reputation of being solid guns... but overweight.

The smiths seem to be more ergonomic, lighter, but tend to need more gunsmith level maintenance than the rugers do.

Taurus is cheaper, less ergonomic, and break more often than the smiths. That said, if you are a box a year man, they will probably work fine for light duty.

Two you didn’t mention...

Freedom Arms... these are stout, ergonomic, and are probably the best American made revolvers... better than korth even, but single action only and very expensive.

The BFR (magnum research) some few like, mine has been a POS, and the company didn’t stand behind it... avoid them. There is a reason they are cheap. IMO, avoid at all costs. (The desert eagle autoloaders are a different story)

That’s my experience with them.
crbutler

Postby BigBlue on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:55 am

Not sure what you have and what you consider 'larger'. If you don't already have a .357/.38 that is a great revolver to own. Easy to shoot, powerful enough to hunt with, and not super expensive. The .44 mag is also a wonderful, classic caliber to have. I'd strongly recommend having both of these. Beyond that, there are the 'gee whiz' things like .460 and .500 and other unique calibers. I own the .460 and like the fact that it can shoot three calibers in one gun. It's not exactly the most useful revolver I have though. Other interesting calibers may include semi-auto rimless rounds like .45ACP and 10mm. Little more hassle to use but I think they might be nice because the rounds themselves are solid choices.

I'm into guns that look good as well as being useful and capable. Nothing more beautiful than a S&W revolver with perfect finish and classic wood grips. I absolutely love the design of the S&W Magna Classic .44.

BB
BigBlue

Postby LarryFlew on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:06 pm

Pistol guy so very few revolvers but those I have I really like. Ruger single 6 Buntline, Taurus 44 magnum double action(very nice blueing) and Taurus 17HMR double action nickel and scoped very accurate. Also an old Durango 22 9 shooter that looks like single action but is actually double. Not accurate at all but fun double action blast away. While I like the Taurus 44 mag and it looks beautiful it is light and punishing with real magnum rounds. Shoot 20 rounds and you know it. Would be a good carry gun for bear country and is what my nephew that is a ranger in Alaska carries along with HEFTY bear pepper spray.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Larger bore Wheelgun

Postby INOR on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:15 pm

So is 460 proprietary to S&W? Nobody else makes a 460? That is an appealing option as I love the idea I'd being able to shoot 3 calibers but I think I'll need to look at ammo cost and availability.

INOR

Postby goalie on Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:14 pm

44mag works for me. I have a SuperBlackhawk with a 7.5" barrel and a Leupold 2x scope on it. It's fun and kills deer.

I can load it with powder puff loads or loads that will go through a deer like it's a squirrel.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Rodentman on Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:17 pm

If not reloading, I'd go with the 44 mag due to ammo costs. You can run 44 spl as well in it. Factory ammo in the larger calibers, with the possible exception of 45 colt, can be costly. You won't want to buy much factory ammo in 460 or 500.

Straight wall ammo is quite easy to reload though.
Rodentman

Larger bore Wheelgun

Postby INOR on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Ugh. Maybe I need to start reloading. Fleet farm has bulk boxes of Blazer brass on sale. Four boxes of various calibers hit the pocket pretty hard tonight.

INOR

Postby Ghost on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:02 pm

INOR wrote:Ugh. Maybe I need to start reloading. Fleet farm has bulk boxes of Blazer brass on sale. Four boxes of various calibers hit the pocket pretty hard tonight.

All depends on what you want. If you want to shoot a lot get a 9mm revolver. If you want a big grin, flames and a boom get an x-frame.
Ghost

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:41 pm

Learn to reload - its not all that scary if you follow a few rules.

I can teach you.
OldmanFCSA

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:55 am

If you are going to really enjoy a "Big Bore", and afford to shoot it, take a day or two, and go see OldmanFCSA and learn to reload. He will have you capable of loading safely in no time, and when you fire that first round that you made, you will have a "YUGE" Grin. It is not overly complicated (even I was able to learn it, with his guidance), and with the per round cost savings, you will enjoy shooting it, without breaking your wallet.

Now, until Christmas is the time to look at getting great deals on the equipment to reload. It is not that expensive (with these sales) and after loading your own rounds, you'll smile every time you pull the trigger. You can get into a Lee press and associated necessary equipment, for less than $275 (if you do a little shopping). I have nearly every press Lee makes, and you are always welcome to come over and I can show you the advantages/disadvantages of each type of their presses. OldmanFCSA has some Lee, and several other brands, which gives you the ability to see and test (between the two of us), most of what's available, and you can then decide which you like best.

Jump in, and you'll only regret you didn't start sooner.

Jim
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:09 am

44 mag is the way to go. shoots both 44 mag and 44 special. Ammo costs are a bit high but doubt you will shoot it allot. I had 2. Both Rugers. The Alaskan and a 4 1/2 inch redhawk. They are heavy but helps with recoil. The Alaskan with a 2 1/2 inch barrel blows one hell of a flame. Been asking Ruger to build a 3 inch barrel alaskan. I miss a good wheel gun. Will get another one some day.
Bearcatrp

Larger bore Wheelgun

Postby INOR on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks. I'll look around a bit. Any advice on a noob to reloading book that I could pick up and check out? To date, I've mostly been shooting basic pistol calibers (.45, .40, .38, 9mm, 380, and .22) and have been buying off the shelf ammo. But do agree based on the cost and availability of some of this larger revolver ammo, need to look at reloading. When at fleet last night, looked through ammo. Plenty of .44 mag on the shelf. And some .45 colt. No 454 Cassull. And no 460 or 480. No 500. So none of the really big stuff.

I think may look for a .44 mag first and then start cutting my teeth on reloading.

INOR

Postby ex-LT on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:13 pm

For a first book, I would recommend ABC's of Reloading or Lyman's Reloading Handbook. Either one of those should give you a good start on what you need to know.

RCBS has an Introduction to Handloading section on their website, and it has a downloadable guide. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't consider it a substitute for the Lyman or ABC's manuals.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Next

Return to Handguns