Larger bore Wheelgun

Discussion of handguns

Re: Larger bore Wheelgun

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:08 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:The 44mag is a great round and plenty for deer. It is about as much gun as I car to shoot without a ported barrel or muzzle break. Unless you are going to bear or elk hunt more gun is just a waste. If you are going big to just have a big gun then it's pretty much the 460 or 500 for double action. If you don't mind single action Magnum research make a 45-70 which is cool. You can hand load 45-70 pretty hot but you'd want to check with Magnum Research on how hot you can go. Ruger No1 loads are pretty nasty.

BFR in .45-70 is a nice shooter. Heavy gun so while you know you are shooting it, it is quite pleasant if you are shooting factory loads. If you load them up then it is much more like a .500 for an experience.

I would not go past the marlin lever data in the BFR.
Holland&Holland

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:00 pm

My 444Marlin in a 14" T/C Contender is a hand full with factory loads, with 320 grain cast with gas-check and a full loading it has a tendency to open the action upon recoil.
First time it happened, the Range Officer was laughing as I opened the action to find no casing. If and when I looked behind me, the case would be laying about 4 feet behind me. This was before a Recall that specified a twin-bar locking mechanism be used to replace the single bar locking lug on heavy recoiling handguns.

a couple of members here have shot it, only to give it back to me after one shot. I shot Unlimited Class IHMSA Silhouette with it using cast bullets at a highly reduced loading to enable 40 shots for the day.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Erud on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:35 am

Am I the only guy who doesn’t like reloading? As cheap as factory ammo is these days, unless you are planning to shoot a ton, I’d just keep an eye out for sales and stock up on the cartridges you shoot. I don’t think many people actually save money by reloading, and if your primary goal is to save money on ammo for a big bore revolver, it’s very unlikely that you actually will. As mentioned earlier in the thread, people generally don’t put a lot of rounds through them because they are not a lot of fun to shoot, and can be downright unpleasant. Ammo loaded at home will typically have a lower cost per round, but after you factor your equipment and time costs, is it actually worth it? If I didnt have a need to load ammo, I’d sell all of the crap I’ve accumulated over the last 15 years and spend my free time doing something a lot more fun than standing in front of a press.
Erud

Postby Rodentman on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 am

I enjoy reloading and didn't get into it to save money. I like controlling the loads, and it's a fun hobby, suitable for me due to limited mobility. I always learn something new. My enjoyment of the shooting hobby would be severely reduced if I didn't reload.
Rodentman

Postby Erud on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:03 am

Rodentman wrote:I enjoy reloading and didn't get into it to save money. I like controlling the loads, and it's a fun hobby, suitable for me due to limited mobility. I always learn something new. My enjoyment of the shooting hobby would be severely reduced if I didn't reload.

Hey, I think I see a way for both of us to enjoy our lives more - how would you like to start loading all of my ammo for me? I think we live pretty near each other.
Erud

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:10 pm

I started reloading because I was totally bored. When I started, my disabilities had me far more mobility challenged and all I did was sit and watch tv. After my house fire nearly killed me, I decided I was given a 2nd chance at life, and I did not intend to waste it, in front of a tv. I have nothing, but lot's of free time since I'm no longer able to fix airplanes.

I wanted a hobby that challenged my mind, and allowed this old mechanic to work with my hands again, but wasn't taxing on my body. I love too shoot, as does my wife, soooo, Reloading was my choice. I love turning on some classic rock, and making ammo. The only part I'm not particularly fond of, is turning brass necks. I do, like being able to tune my loads to each gun, especially my 50 Cal.

I still remember the first round I ever loaded and fired. It was a 30 Carbine round, and was shot at Bill's in Robbinsdale. It went Bang, didn't kill anyone (including me) and it actually hit the bullseye (I still have that piece of brass). I was hooked, from that very moment.

It has also afforded me the opportunity to meet some really fine people, and make friends (hard to do when sitting at home) that share my same interests. I also made a new best friend, which is totally, the best part. :cheers:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby ex-LT on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:14 am

Randygmn wrote:The indoor ranges are looking for steel cased ammo or other such exotics, specifically tracers. This started in earnest after the Burnsville fire. Yes, they ask for factory boxes, but not to the exclusion of everything else. Loose rounds in ammo cans is ok. If they are suspicious, they’ll use a magnet looking for steel cases or AP cores. I’ve never heard that they are looking for handloads, or if they even care.

Actually, I think they're looking for aluminum cases more so than steel cases. Steel cases can be picked up by a magnet, aluminum cannot. The rest of your statement is correct. Steel core/AP and tracers are verboten at indoor ranges.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:32 pm

Ran across this informative article

Defense Against Bears with Pistols: 97% Success rate, 37 incidents by Caliber

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/amp/
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:16 am

Ghost wrote:Ran across this informative article

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/amp/

So, what are the odds of having to deal with a lion and bear at the same time? That story just sounds crazy.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:17 am

Holland&Holland wrote:

So, what are the odds of having to deal with a lion and bear at the same time? That story just sounds crazy.

1 badass in 6 million, just guessing

Needs a Tiger for some serious oh my
Ghost

Larger bore Wheelgun

Postby INOR on Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:13 am

Good read. Makes me wonder...better off carrying a big revolver or a much higher capacity glock 20 or 40 in 10mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
INOR

Postby DanM on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:36 pm

That article is interesting but when I worked in Nome, Alaska for a summer the locals carried a 12 gauge with slugs when they were in the bush. They should know what works.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:10 pm

DanM wrote:

That article is interesting but when I worked in Nome, Alaska for a summer the locals carried a 12 gauge with slugs when they were in the bush. They should know what works.

Surprised they didn't have 45-70's. Had a neighbor where I grew up that raised buffalo and one got loose. It made it to the next county about 15-20 miles away before it got put down. People were shooting it with slugs and from what I was told they were bouncing slugs off it's head until someone with a rifle killed it (no idea where they shot it). I always thought brown bear skulls were really difficult to penetrate.

I only saw the carcass dead in the back of a truck with it's head hanging out the back, in the middle of town with a whole bunch of people looking at it so I can't verify any of that story except it was dead.
Ghost

Larger bore Wheelgun

Postby INOR on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:15 pm

Ghost wrote:
Had a neighbor where I grew up that raised buffalo and one got loose. It made it to the next county about 15-20 miles away before it got put down. People were shooting it with slugs and from what I was told they were bouncing slugs off it's head until someone with a rifle killed it (no idea where they shot it).

Bow and arrow takes American bison right down with one shot. Didn’t you see “Dances with Wolves?”

INOR

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:46 pm

INOR wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Had a neighbor where I grew up that raised buffalo and one got loose. It made it to the next county about 15-20 miles away before it got put down. People were shooting it with slugs and from what I was told they were bouncing slugs off it's head until someone with a rifle killed it (no idea where they shot it).

Bow and arrow takes American bison right down with one shot. Didn’t you see “Dances with Wolves?”

You can also drop one with a .44 rimfire but you have to flip up the ladder sight on your trusty old Henry.
Holland&Holland

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns