Larger bore Wheelgun

Discussion of handguns

Re: Larger bore Wheelgun

Postby Ghost on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:18 pm

INOR wrote:Thanks. I'll look around a bit. Any advice on a noob to reloading book that I could pick up and check out? To date, I've mostly been shooting basic pistol calibers (.45, .40, .38, 9mm, 380, and .22) and have been buying off the shelf ammo. But do agree based on the cost and availability of some of this larger revolver ammo, need to look at reloading. When at fleet last night, looked through ammo. Plenty of .44 mag on the shelf. And some .45 colt. No 454 Cassull. And no 460 or 480. No 500. So none of the really big stuff.

I think may look for a .44 mag first and then start cutting my teeth on reloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buying in decent quantities online will be your best pricing. I like to order factory ammo to break in the gun/get used to it and also to build a good supply of brass.

You’ll likely put more rounds through the smaller calibers, not many people will put 1000 rounds (100 is probably a lot for many) through an x-frame in its lifetime so you need to determine if reloading for that purpose makes sense. This also makes for decent condition large frame revolvers on the used market.

If you go .44 mag, you’ll likely shoot it more.

When I started buying revolvers, the first 3 I bought were a 9mm/357mag/38 special, a 45ACP/45 Colt and my 45Colt/454 casull/460. This left me with lots of caliber options, cheap ammo options and some fun guns. 7 options in 3 guns, none require moon clips.
Ghost

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Try looking at the instructional video's by AmmoSmith on Youtube. He has some of the best I have seen. It will give you a visual idea of what is involved. As ex-LT suggested, the ABC's of Reloading is one of the best I found. I would loan it to you, but someone I loaned it too never returned my copy, and I can't remember who I loaned it too :hammer:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby aprilian on Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:12 pm

INOR wrote:Thanks. I'll look around a bit. Any advice on a noob to reloading book that I could pick up and check out? To date, I've mostly been shooting basic pistol calibers (.45, .40, .38, 9mm, 380, and .22) and have been buying off the shelf ammo. But do agree based on the cost and availability of some of this larger revolver ammo, need to look at reloading. When at fleet last night, looked through ammo. Plenty of .44 mag on the shelf. And some .45 colt. No 454 Cassull. And no 460 or 480. No 500. So none of the really big stuff.

I think may look for a .44 mag first and then start cutting my teeth on reloading.

Since Doug helped me out getting started, I'll pay it forward. PM me your address and I'll send you a Lyman Pistol reloading book which I started with.
Ian
aprilian

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Make an appointment with doug (Oldman). He taught me when I needed to learn 50BMG. You won't find anyone better. Very patient. Expects you to pay attention. You will walk out with more knowledge than ou thought you would learn. He is the jedi of reloading! All he asks is for a donation. A book will get you only so far. You need hands on experience. Read your book, then take a couple a classes with oldman. Helps to have a basic understanding. Your welcome to come see me if you don't want to drive to wisconsin. I don't charge. Or someone you know that reloads and you feel comfortable.
Bearcatrp

Postby mmcnx2 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:59 pm

I just picked up a S&W 41 Mag. I like unusual rounds so I went with the 41 over a 44. I also have a Coonan in 357 just to be different.
mmcnx2

Larger bore Wheelgun

Postby INOR on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:05 am

Ok, so this has evolved into a reloading discussion. Most of the indoor ranges I've been to seem to ask about what ammo you're shooting and want to see the boxes. I've always assumed this is because they don't want people shooting handloads for fear that someone is going to have an accident with a really hot load. So, kind of a dumb question, but is everyone just putting their handloads in a factory box when they go to the range so they don't get turned away due to having handloads?

INOR

Larger bore Wheelgun

Postby INOR on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:13 am

Ghost wrote:When I started buying revolvers, the first 3 I bought were a 9mm/357mag/38 special, a 45ACP/45 Colt and my 45Colt/454 casull/460. This left me with lots of caliber options, cheap ammo options and some fun guns. 7 options in 3 guns, none require moon clips.

Wasn't aware you could shoot rimless auto loads in a revolver without moon clips. Now I need to go check that out.

INOR

Postby Ghost on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:38 am

INOR wrote:
Ghost wrote:When I started buying revolvers, the first 3 I bought were a 9mm/357mag/38 special, a 45ACP/45 Colt and my 45Colt/454 casull/460. This left me with lots of caliber options, cheap ammo options and some fun guns. 7 options in 3 guns, none require moon clips.

Wasn't aware you could shoot rimless auto loads in a revolver without moon clips. Now I need to go check that out.

I’ve got the lipseys versions
http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:54 am

INOR wrote:Ok, so this has evolved into a reloading discussion. Most of the indoor ranges I've been to seem to ask about what ammo you're shooting and want to see the boxes. I've always assumed this is because they don't want people shooting handloads for fear that someone is going to have an accident with a really hot load. So, kind of a dumb question, but is everyone just putting their handloads in a factory box when they go to the range so they don't get turned away due to having handloads?

Have never been asked. Which one's asked? I do keep boxes to fill them when I reload. Easier for storage. For my AR's, I fill ammo cans but for my bolt rifles, I still use the boxes I have accumulated.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:50 am

Bearcatrp wrote:
INOR wrote:Ok, so this has evolved into a reloading discussion. Most of the indoor ranges I've been to seem to ask about what ammo you're shooting and want to see the boxes. I've always assumed this is because they don't want people shooting handloads for fear that someone is going to have an accident with a really hot load. So, kind of a dumb question, but is everyone just putting their handloads in a factory box when they go to the range so they don't get turned away due to having handloads?

Have never been asked. Which one's asked? I do keep boxes to fill them when I reload. Easier for storage. For my AR's, I fill ammo cans but for my bolt rifles, I still use the boxes I have accumulated.

Indoor ranges normally ask
Ghost

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:19 am

Have only been to 4 indoor ranges here but none have asked. Burnsville, Sealed Mindset, Stock and Barrel and Bud's Robinsdale
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Randygmn on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:29 am

The indoor ranges are looking for steel cased ammo or other such exotics, specifically tracers. This started in earnest after the Burnsville fire. Yes, they ask for factory boxes, but not to the exclusion of everything else. Loose rounds in ammo cans is ok. If they are suspicious, they’ll use a magnet looking for steel cases or AP cores. I’ve never heard that they are looking for handloads, or if they even care.
Randygmn

Postby Ghost on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:11 am

LarryFlew wrote:Have only been to 4 indoor ranges here but none have asked. Burnsville, Sealed Mindset, Stock and Barrel and Bud's Robinsdale

BPR asks, one guy about lost his stuff on me when I said I had factory Hornady factory Grendel Amax once. Thought grendel was all steel core. Roger had to explain it to him because he wasn't listening to me.

Gander used to inspect ammo and ask if it was factory.

Can't remember last time I went to Bills.

Everything goes in factory boxes anyway.
Ghost

Postby Sigfan220 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:34 pm

The 44mag is a great round and plenty for deer. It is about as much gun as I car to shoot without a ported barrel or muzzle break. Unless you are going to bear or elk hunt more gun is just a waste. If you are going big to just have a big gun then it's pretty much the 460 or 500 for double action. If you don't mind single action Magnum research make a 45-70 which is cool. You can hand load 45-70 pretty hot but you'd want to check with Magnum Research on how hot you can go. Ruger No1 loads are pretty nasty.
Sigfan220

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:05 pm

Several times to BPR and never been asked. Good thing as i typically would have one or more CZs and have a dozen+ 18 and 19 round mags already loaded. Along with that is at least 1 45acp which are the only reloads i put in Winchester white boxes.
Last edited by LarryFlew on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns