Glock 35 (in a .40) 'stings' the hand- That normal?

Discussion of handguns

Postby Bergie on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:14 am

I've never owned a Glock (never liked the squared slide for some reason). But I broke down and picked up a 35 in a .40 last summer to see if there's something people love about these that I'm just not getting. Been to the range a number of times with it: I hate it! Maybe it's just a common .40 thing, or the grip, but it feels like a small shark is biting my hand between thumb and forefinger every time she goes off. A buddy at the range said that's just how a .40 feels, regardless of what it's being fired from. Because of that statement, I haven't tried swapping out the back strap yet. (I'm not being a puss..... I next shot my DW 2" .357 just to get relief!) Is it the gun, grip, or nature of the round?
Bergie

Re: Glock 35 (in a .40) 'stings' the hand- That normal?

Postby linksep on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:43 am

.40 in a poly gun is a "snappy" combo according to many people, but it shouldn't be that bad for someone that otherwise shoots a 2" .357.

If you're in the far east metro you could meet me at my range some time and put a couple rounds through my metal .40 to see if you think it's the round or the gun.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:01 am

It sure as hell isn't the nature of the round. They don't call it the 40 Short and Weak for nothing, and putting a 180 grain bullet downrange at 985 FPS is downright uninspiring compared to putting a 10mm 200 grain bullet downrange at 1200 FPS!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Due to the fact that it's plastic and light weight, Tupperware does have less mass to soak up the recoil than a steel gun, so the recoil should be sharper for the same caliber, but it's nothing to write home about. You definitely want to try the other grip inserts, and see if that helps. Based on being able to shoot hot loads through a 2" snubbie revolver kinda disqualifies you from being "a great Nancy boy" so I'm not sure WTF the problem is, but it is NOT the power of the 40 Short & Weak.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby usnret on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Just for grins try shooting it with a glove on and see if you have the same result. The back strap may not be setting flush with the grip causing a ledge.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Bergie on Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:52 pm

linksep wrote:.40 in a poly gun is a "snappy" combo according to many people, but it shouldn't be that bad for someone that otherwise shoots a 2" .357.

If you're in the far east metro you could meet me at my range some time and put a couple rounds through my metal .40 to see if you think it's the round or the gun.

I may take you up on that. (I'm in Eagan); I'll throw in a couple different back straps and try it ungloved' first at my range (Post 435 Legion). Worse case scenario, is I put it on the block and replace it with a 1911.
Bergie

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:53 pm

I have a Glock 27 in 40 S&W. Reloaded 180 gr for my SA XDM but changed to 155 grain for the glock. Allot better. Try changing the back straps. Shouldn't be biting unless your shooting +P ammo.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:29 am

Seismic Sam wrote:It sure as hell isn't the nature of the round. They don't call it the 40 Short and Weak for nothing, and putting a 180 grain bullet downrange at 985 FPS is downright uninspiring compared to putting a 10mm 200 grain bullet downrange at 1200 FPS!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Due to the fact that it's plastic and light weight, Tupperware does have less mass to soak up the recoil than a steel gun, so the recoil should be sharper for the same caliber, but it's nothing to write home about. You definitely want to try the other grip inserts, and see if that helps. Based on being able to shoot hot loads through a 2" snubbie revolver kinda disqualifies you from being "a great Nancy boy" so I'm not sure WTF the problem is, but it is NOT the power of the 40 Short & Weak.

Actually Sam I find my 10mms longslide with 200 gr buffalo bore hard cast quite pleasurable to shoot. :D I have shot .40 glocks though that have been less so. In the lightweight plastic guns it does tend to be snappy.

If one wants some hand pain I do have a bond arms derringer in .357. With .38s it is a fun range toy, with .357s. Not so much. Between the rounded grip that will rotate in your hand to the hammer spur that will stop that rotation...
Holland&Holland

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:56 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:It sure as hell isn't the nature of the round. They don't call it the 40 Short and Weak for nothing, and putting a 180 grain bullet downrange at 985 FPS is downright uninspiring compared to putting a 10mm 200 grain bullet downrange at 1200 FPS!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Due to the fact that it's plastic and light weight, Tupperware does have less mass to soak up the recoil than a steel gun, so the recoil should be sharper for the same caliber, but it's nothing to write home about. You definitely want to try the other grip inserts, and see if that helps. Based on being able to shoot hot loads through a 2" snubbie revolver kinda disqualifies you from being "a great Nancy boy" so I'm not sure WTF the problem is, but it is NOT the power of the 40 Short & Weak.

Actually Sam I find my 10mms longslide with 200 gr buffalo bore hard cast quite pleasurable to shoot. :D I have shot .40 glocks though that have been less so. In the lightweight plastic guns it does tend to be snappy.

If one wants some hand pain I do have a bond arms derringer in .357. With .38s it is a fun range toy, with .357s. Not so much. Between the rounded grip that will rotate in your hand to the hammer spur that will stop that rotation...

NAAAAAH!!! That ain't hand pain! At some point in the past, they made one of those two shot derringers, and it was chambered in

are you sitting down? Please sit down!!

45 LC and 45-70!! :( :o :shock: :? Somewhere out there in the great Youtube universe, I think there is a video of a guy shooting one. Yes, his name is Cletus.... :roll:
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby crbutler on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:59 am

Hand pain is a Thompson center encore in .300 mag with no muzzle break. I thought my .30-06 was bad, this is a bit worse, but not much.

A .45-70 is a pussycat compared to the .300 win mag.

With the .30 rifle round you feel ligaments move in your wrist that are not supposed to!

The G35 is the bigger competition version. I don't think the G22 is that bad, the 35 is less so. The bore on a glock sits a little higher than on a 1911 style gun and the grip geometry is a bit different, it also has more surface area on the grip. For me it feels a bit springy, but not sharp. The 10mm glock is a bit bigger frame than the .40, and not objectionable either, but definitely more recoil! If you are someone used to 9mm in a steel gun, the light .40 guns are a bit lively, but if it hurts, something is wrong. Usually technique.
crbutler

Postby atomic41 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:18 am

How is your grip? That gun will have a lot of recoil but from your description of feeling like a biting pain, it sounds as if there is movement somewhere that there should not be. It sounds like the grip is able to move and impact your hand in a way that is causing the pain. Even on heavy recoil, there should be no free movement in there between your hand and the grip.

So you might want to go over your grip method and make sure you are solid on in. Make sure your hand is high on the gun and the little beaver tail is pressed firmly into the webbing of your hand. That will help because if there is slop in that spot, the gun will move in your hand. Getting your support hand high on the gun with your support hand thumb pressed forward along side your strong hand thumb and putting some pressure on the frame will help too. If you are "tea cupping" your grip you won't have as much recoil management.

That gun has a lot of recoil so if your grip is a little bit off, that gun will exploit it where you might not have had that problem with other calibers or guns. I've shot Glocks of many calibers and sizes including the .40. I'm pretty confident that you can fix your problem if you really go over your grip, it should not "bite" like that.
atomic41

Postby Bergie on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:37 pm

Atomic- thanks for the advice- I'll take her out to the range again and really focus on any slop in my grip. My paws are pretty big, so maybe I should go to the widest back-strap for the gun. (?)
Bergie

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:48 am

Bergie wrote:Atomic- thanks for the advice- I'll take her out to the range again and really focus on any slop in my grip. My paws are pretty big, so maybe I should go to the widest back-strap for the gun. (?)

Distributing the same force over a wider area is always a good plan....
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby atomic41 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:48 pm

Bergie wrote:Atomic- thanks for the advice- I'll take her out to the range again and really focus on any slop in my grip. My paws are pretty big, so maybe I should go to the widest back-strap for the gun. (?)

Cool, yeah try that and remember to get a high grip. As soon as you grip it with your firing hand, grip it as high on the gun as possible get that beaver tail area tight into the webbing of your hand. Let us know how it goes.
atomic41

Postby Amazi on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:03 am

Iv owned a couple 40s and still own one in a sub compact Springfield.
You definitely know you're shooting a gun. Never hurt my hand even with hot rounds, the glock 22 hurt my trigger finger but that's cause of the trigger lock. If a little micro 357 doesn't I don't see how a glock would unless the 4th gen texture is what's doing it. Could try putting some tape on it.
Amazi

Postby unit44justin on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:40 pm

It sounds like the slide is rubbing on your hand when it cycles. Get a normal grip with an empty gun and cycle the slide manually to see if you are getting slide bite. If you have a high grip, your skin may be rolling over the frame causing it to to get in the way of the slide. The beaver tail back straps would alleviate the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
unit44justin

Next

Return to Handguns