Derringers

Discussion of handguns

Derringers

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:36 pm

Those who carry one, do you feel safe with it while carrying one? Debating to carry my Glock 27 or get a derringer. I transport folks and some are say not the best to trust while I am driving. Not driving a taxi. Private company. Need to reach left handed under my sweat shirt if needed (am right handed). Am thinking a derringer would be easier to handle . Appreciate any advice. Thanks
Bearcatrp

Re: Derringers

Postby ttousi on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:47 pm

very concealable but hard on the hands, do you need to cock it?.........try a glock 42

ETA..have them in 22 , 9 and 38 but default to the glock 42 for a number of reasons
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby westhope on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:45 pm

I do not know why anyone would choose a derringer over a small semi-auto or small revolver. Either of those would be easier to shoot, hold much more ammo, be safer to carry and probably smaller than a derringer.

There are may "mouse guns" much better. Seecamp being the old standard. Khar P380, Keltec P32 or 3AT, several others.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:09 pm

I feel real comfortable with my Glock 27 and shoot well with it. It's in 40S&W. Being double stack, may be a little to big to use under my sweat shirt if needed quickly. May go look at single stack pistols but want at least a 9mm. Wife has a ruger LC9s which is nice but want a little smaller if possible. Don't know anything on 380 calibers. After looking at derringers on cabelas web site, seem all big calibers, which I don't want. My scenario would be driving and the low life attacks me while driving. Want to be able to reach under my sweat shirt and fire 1st shot if needed. Go from there. Will have a belt/band that holds the weapon under my sweat shirt. Preferable pointing towards the passenger side (kind of). Am fairly proficient with a pistol. Just want a little protection in the event **** actually happens. Hope it doesn't but some of the rides frankly have my butt hairs raised. Thanks
Bearcatrp

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:12 pm

has to be a long list options that would make more sense than a Derringer. J-Frame, Glock 26/36, Bersa, LCR, Keltec.................
if the choice is nothing at all or a derringer, I guess, but I don't think I heard that from you..............
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby silvor on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 pm

I would think a .38 snub would be the best bet for your situation.

I have a .45/410 derringer. It's neat and all, but I think cocking it under stress would not work.

I think about selling it, but I tell myself it's useful to dispatch of small vermin. Which I haven't used it for at all the past 2 years I've owned it. :roll:
silvor

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Really didn't want to add another caliber but after looking at some of the recommendations online, could be a possibility. I used to despise glocks until I got a sweet deal on the 27. Sweet pistol. Shoot better with the 27 than I do with my SA XDm. Next trip to scheels, will check out some 380's and see some up front. Will also check out some ballistics too. Thanks again folks.
Bearcatrp

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:13 pm

Not knowing your price point, look at the Kahr pm9 or the less expensive CM9. Being that your right hand dominant think about cross draw for in vehicle carry unless the bad guy is in the front passenger seat and you need to point towards the right then cross draw with weak hand.
Sorcerer

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:21 am

Have a few 22, 32, 9mm and 38SP and would never carry one for protection. Either have to cock (PITA in a defense situation) or carry cocked and locked with really iffy safety system. Fun but not practical.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:06 am

I'd carry a hammerless 38 Special 5-shot stainless revolver instead of any derringer. But cylinder gap burn might get your attention if held close to the belly upon firing.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Randygmn on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:08 am

For small, back up, deep concealment- there’s some pretty small .380’s out there that are all quantifiable better than a derringer. The smallest of them, that are the most reliable are Rugers version 2 of the LCP2. Also, Kahr makes a reliably tiny mouse gun. A little larger and the Glock 42 is the king of that caliber (and with base pad extensions, can carry 8 + 1). Ballistics? The relatively new Lehigh Defense Extreme Penetrators are truly revolutionary for .380. And no, it’s not hype. 6/7 rounds are always better than 2. What if there’s 2 passengers?

Also- for driving, especially, you should consider a shoulder holster with a light cover garment, or, a belly band. As long as it’s not on the hip. Depending on the seat belt, and body size, drawing can be difficult while sitting in a car seat. . Fwiw.
Randygmn

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:07 am

Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:I'd carry a hammerless 38 Special 5-shot stainless revolver instead of any derringer. But cylinder gap burn might get your attention if held close to the belly upon firing.

If the cylinder gap is close enough to the belly to get a good burn from a .38, please make sure the bullet hose is not so close as to get some of that gut as well ;)

This is an interesting question. My initial reaction was a small auto but if it is not being drawn and potentially fired from a confined carry space, it might well be a single shot once the slide is interfered with.
Holland&Holland

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Cylinder gap burn occurs sideways at maximum cartridge pressure- end of muzzle burn occurs mainly forward with a cone of fire reducing pressure.

Either way the burn may hurt, but the bullet will cause more hurt for recipient.

Search for the phrase "belly gun".
OldmanFCSA

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:07 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:Cylinder gap burn occurs sideways at maximum cartridge pressure- end of muzzle burn occurs mainly forward with a cone of fire reducing pressure.

Either way the burn may hurt, but the bullet will cause more hurt for recipient.

Search for the phrase "belly gun".

I get that. I am just thinking of a snubbie presses sideways against my belly... not sure I can tell where the muzzle is for sure in relation to it. Especially while driving using a left hand across to a passenger....
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Handguns