Point of impact pt92

Discussion of handguns

Point of impact pt92

Postby NinjaMonkey on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:13 am

Hello when I shot the Taurus pt92 my point of impact is down about 3inch at 5 yards and 8 yards in 3inch down and to the left far, and more so when at 15yard.
I have shot Springfield xd9, glocks ( 9mm,40 and 45), ruger guns never had this happen. ( striker fire).
I have also shot my ruger p95dc hk9mm hkp30 all hammer fired the point of impact is great the bullet goes where i wanted.
This is the first Taurus I own and I never had this problem I was wonder if anybody also have this problem.
The review on YouTube have nothing but good thing to say about the pt92.
I hope it not me. Any tip and criticism is appreciated.
NinjaMonkey

Re: Point of impact pt92

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:53 am

You sound like me = a piss-poor pistol shooter.
You're anticipating the firing and pulling the nose down before the trigger breaks.
I put an adjustable rear sight on my Beretta 92, but I'm still most effective if I just throw it at you.

But give me my Ruger GP100 6" Heavy in 357 and you're in trouble.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Ghost on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:11 am

Ghost

Postby 870TC on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:06 am

The 92 has a pretty different trigger break and over travel then striker fired guns. It can take awhile to learn to shoot it well.
Also some guns are now sighted at the factory for a 12 o'clock hold....sometimes called "shooting the dot", "floating the dot", "combat sight picture".
870TC

Postby smurfman on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:37 am

In addition to the above, try heavier bullets as they tend to shoot higher. Higher velocity may have the same effect too as my Beretta 92 shoots to point of aim when using +P 115 and 124 gr bullets at 50+ feet when figure 8ing the white dots on the sights. It shoots a little low with standard velocity.
smurfman

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:54 am

I might have to dust off my 99 to see if that one has the same tendencies.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby crbutler on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 am

First thing I would try is have an experienced shooter you know shoot it.

You didn’t mention if there was a difference between the DA shot and the SA shots, which would indicate trigger issues. The 92 type guns are big and heavy and if you shoot other pistols well, I would tend to discount trigger jerk.

I have only shot a couple Taurus guns, and frankly, the QC was spotty. Having the sights not align with the barrel wouldn’t surprise me.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:54 am

crbutler wrote:First thing I would try is have an experienced shooter you know shoot it.

You didn’t mention if there was a difference between the DA shot and the SA shots, which would indicate trigger issues. The 92 type guns are big and heavy and if you shoot other pistols well, I would tend to discount trigger jerk.

I have only shot a couple Taurus guns, and frankly, the QC was spotty. Having the sights not align with the barrel wouldn’t surprise me.

This is good advice. The last time I heard a guy complain that his guns sights were off (sig I believe), he was a fairly new shooter and we were at the range with a group of work colleagues. A guy there who was a fairly accomplished shooter and has a range built in his basement for handguns asked to try it and proceeded to dump the entire mag into the bull. He handed it back asking "describe for me again what is wrong with it?".

It is usually the Indian, not the arrow ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby UnaStamus on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:18 pm

I can also confirm the spotty nature of Taurus QC. Having said that, they’ve copied that gun enough times that they should still be able to be relatively accurate. As such, have another shooter shoot the gun, preferably from a rest/bag. The shooter is far more often the cause of issues and poor accuracy for a pistol than the pistol itself.

I would also be careful about the shooting charts that you see online. While they are a general guideline, they are not universally accurate to each shooter. There are numerous reasons why shots will miss that aren’t consistent with the diagnostic shooting charts. They are basically a starting point for what problems to look for, and beyond that, you need to have an individual assessment of your shooting by someone who is well-versed in diagnostics to determine what the final cause is for each issue. One major issue you will see is that different pistols have different control dynamics, and you can have good fundamentals with one pistol, but you will have problems with another because something that could be as simple as grip angle or trigger geometry. Food for thought.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:40 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:I put an adjustable rear sight on my Beretta 92, but I'm still most effective if I just throw it at you.

If you still miss when throwing it, we will have to have the Twins pitching staff weigh in.
Holland&Holland

Return to Handguns