My Quest for a VP40

Discussion of handguns

Re: My Quest for a VP40

Postby Ghost on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Since when?

So many cheaper places to order online. Davidson’s and budsgunshop are a couple I prefer.

Never said their weren't, he wants to buy from Cabela's at Cabela's price and wants to be able to inspect before taking possession. Just telling a way to do that without running all over MN 1st.

In general your statement is true, however you have to factor in transfer fee and shipping. Depending on the source 3% credit card fee. Then there is the whole sales tax issue.

I do the math and check several sources. Most sources will be the best option at one point in time. With Cabela's their might be coupons or credit card points that also factor into the value analysis.

Many times it’s free shipping and significantly cheaper than the transfer fee difference. Send it back if it’s not up to par, you don’t have to accept the gun.

If you like to support local places then Davidson’s gives a competitive option list.

I’ve got the cabelas black card so I will go in for a free gun every so often.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:45 am

I don't disagree, however for every purchase it is prudent to check several sources and while rare, Cabela's does come up the winner sometimes.

I typically pick up a free gun about every year on points so their is that.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:57 pm

Didnt think anyone bought H&K anymore. There handguns still heavy or did they change? Wife has a USP in 40 S&W I'm getting ready to sell. She moved to a ruger 9mm.
Bearcatrp

Postby Vlad on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:40 pm

WOW, I am used to being told Rugers being heavy for caliber. Or is that only on the revolvers?
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:32 pm

Vlad wrote:WOW, I am used to being told Rugers being heavy for caliber. Or is that only on the revolvers?

Heavy for caliber or built for a handloaders dream ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby dleong on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Got back from the Cabela's in Rogers about an hour ago. 110 miles round trip, so it was a bit of a haul.

Got to the firearms counter and was helped almost immediately. Told the salesperson what I wanted and he retrieved the only "new" VP40 they had in stock from the back room (I didn't even bother looking at the one they had in the display case).

Would the third time be the charm? Apparently not, as the "new" VP40 had scuffs/scratches on the left front of the slide extending from just behind the muzzle to abeam the ejection port on the other side. Bare metal could be seen through parts of the scratches. So for the third time, no sale.

It's almost as if Cabela's got a killer deal on a batch of "scratch and dent" VP9s and VP40s from its supplier and is trying to pass them off as new merchandise at their stores, with the just-ended "sale" making them all the more enticing.

In any event, I'm done with buying guns at Cabela's.
dleong

Postby BigBlue on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:02 pm

That's crazy. How are these damaged firearms leaving the factory? None of what you describe sounds like things that would happen from the occasional showing of a new-in-box gun to a serious buyer. Even display models don't get that type of damage.

Have you looked at this brand and these models in other gun stores? Same issues?
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:10 pm

This sounds extremely odd.
Holland&Holland

Postby dleong on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:35 pm

BigBlue wrote:Have you looked at this brand and these models in other gun stores? Same issues?

Nope. I've only ever ogled and fondled the VPs at Cabela's. Wasn't even interested in that particular line of guns until I shot a colleague's VP9 last year.

FWIW, the only firearm I've ever purchased at Cabela's is my current carry gun, a Ruger LCP. That was just a couple of years ago, when they had it marked down during a sale. That LCP was cosmetically perfect at the time of purchase.
dleong

Postby Ghost on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:51 pm

dleong wrote:Got back from the Cabela's in Rogers about an hour ago. 110 miles round trip, so it was a bit of a haul.

Got to the firearms counter and was helped almost immediately. Told the salesperson what I wanted and he retrieved the only "new" VP40 they had in stock from the back room (I didn't even bother looking at the one they had in the display case).

Would the third time be the charm? Apparently not, as the "new" VP40 had scuffs/scratches on the left front of the slide extending from just behind the muzzle to abeam the ejection port on the other side. Bare metal could be seen through parts of the scratches. So for the third time, no sale.

It's almost as if Cabela's got a killer deal on a batch of "scratch and dent" VP9s and VP40s from its supplier and is trying to pass them off as new merchandise at their stores, with the just-ended "sale" making them all the more enticing.

In any event, I'm done with buying guns at Cabela's.

That really sucks
Ghost

My Quest for a VP40

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:40 pm

I don't think Cabela's is at fault here, although they should check for these things when accepting the delivery and ship back to distributor before customers ever see the guns.

Sounds like somebody at HK or at their distributor warehouse dropped a "tray" of these and did not own up to it...
gun_fan111v2

Postby linksep on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:24 pm

dleong wrote:It's almost as if Cabela's got a killer deal on a batch of "scratch and dent" VP9s and VP40s from its supplier and is trying to pass them off as new merchandise at their stores, with the just-ended "sale" making them all the more enticing.

I have seen this before with a different retailer... Advertising a nearly unbelievable price and not advertising that fact that it is a batch of blems which is why they are able to sell them tens of dollars cheaper than ANYONE else.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:22 pm

linksep wrote:
dleong wrote:It's almost as if Cabela's got a killer deal on a batch of "scratch and dent" VP9s and VP40s from its supplier and is trying to pass them off as new merchandise at their stores, with the just-ended "sale" making them all the more enticing.

I have seen this before with a different retailer... Advertising a nearly unbelievable price and not advertising that fact that it is a batch of blems which is why they are able to sell them tens of dollars cheaper than ANYONE else.

:picsneeded:
Holland&Holland

Previous

Return to Handguns