My Quest for a VP40

Discussion of handguns

My Quest for a VP40

Postby dleong on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:50 am

I was bitten by the H&K bug after shooting a colleague's VP9 last year; the VP40 (the version chambered in .40 S&W) was promptly added to my list of guns to get in the near future.

Fast forward to last week, when I noticed that Cabela's was running a sale on the VP9 and VP40, with the standard version of both guns reduced to $530. A decent if not stellar price vis-à-vis buying online, where I've seen it go for under $500 at times, but to me, the additional $30 was worth the advantage of actually being able to examine and inspect the gun for flaws before committing to a purchase.

Last Saturday, I went to the Cabela's in Woodbury with the intent of purchasing a VP40. Aside from the one in the display case (which had obvious handling marks), they only had one new VP40 in stock. The salesperson brought this out from the back room for me, but upon a cursory inspection, I noticed it had a ding on the front left of the slide that went down to bare metal. So no sale, but the salesperson ascertained they had three new VP40s in stock at their Owatonna store.

On Sunday, I drove all the way down to the Owatonna Cabela's. Surprisingly, despite being crowded, there weren't many customers at the firearms counter and I was able to interact with a salesperson almost immediately. Of the three standard VP40s they had in stock, one was the display model which had the usual handling marks; of the two new ones that he brought out from the back room, one had a 1/4" gouge at the very rear of the frame's beavertail and the other sported a 1" scratch on the slide just below the ejection port. So again, no sale.

The salesperson at the Owatonna store indicated that his computer showed two "new" VP40s in stock at their Rogers location, but at this point, I've all but given up hoping to find one that isn't cosmetically buggered.

Is this the new norm for purchasing guns nowadays, or am I being too OCD about wanting the product to be in perfect mechanical and cosmetic condition before plunking down my hard-earned cash for it? Should I take the trouble to drive up to Rogers and hope that "the third time's the charm?" By the way, the sale ends this Wednesday (3/21).
dleong

Re: My Quest for a VP40

Postby Stugotz on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:10 am

At this point is sounds like you are all in on the VP9 - 40 S&W may as well make the trip. Not to further confuse things, (and it is a little more money) but have you handled an LEM version? I own 4 Hk P30's 2 of which are the light LEM version and I absolutely love 'em! Give Bill's in Robinsdale a shout to see if they have one you can fondle. I think you will be very impressed. 8-)
Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%
Stugotz

Postby BigBlue on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:39 am

How are these new-in-box guns getting dinged up?? Seems quite odd.
BigBlue

Postby dleong on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:06 am

Stugotz wrote:At this point is sounds like you are all in on the VP9 - 40 S&W may as well make the trip. Not to further confuse things, (and it is a little more money) but have you handled an LEM version? I own 4 Hk P30's 2 of which are the light LEM version and I absolutely love 'em! Give Bill's in Robinsdale a shout to see if they have one you can fondle. I think you will be very impressed. 8-)

Thanks for the suggestion. As far as I can tell, the VP9 and VP40 aren't available with the LEM trigger. There's an "LE" (law enforcement?) version of both guns, but that's simply the same gun with night sights and packaged with three instead of two magazines, sold at a significantly higher price.
dleong

Postby Stugotz on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:35 am

You are correct, the VP series is a striker fire (with a very good trigger right out of the box) and the P30 is hammer fire. Yes, the LEM version is only available in the P30 configuration, and as I had mentioned for more money. I think it's worth your time to at least to take a look at one before you make a decision on this though. My 1st 2 Hk's were V3's which I ended up doing a spring conversion to lighten up both the SA/DA trigger pull. Once I had the opportunity to handle/shoot an LEM, I new I had to own one. (Actually have 2, one in 9mm and the other is a .40 S&W).

Here is a video explaining the function of the LEM version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Go3bgtoj8
My motto is 'Buy once, Cry once'. 8-)
Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%
Stugotz

My Quest for a VP40

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:41 am

My VP9 was ordered online about a year ago and came without any scratches. I think it is not too much to ask for new guns to look new of you are paying full price for them.
gun_fan111v2

Postby MJY65 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:50 am

I think the current crop of $500(about) polymer pistols, regardless of brand, typically doesn't show the level of perfection we've come to expect. They are hitting a price point and that's the result.
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:58 am

MJY65 wrote:I think the current crop of $500(about) polymer pistols, regardless of brand, typically doesn't show the level of perfection we've come to expect. They are hitting a price point and that's the result.

I’d never buy a scratched gun for new price.

Did you offer to buy it for a 25% discount?
Ghost

Postby dleong on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:28 pm

Ghost wrote:I’d never buy a scratched gun for new price.

That thought did occur to me after the second disappointment at the Owatonna store, but I didn't think my fragile ego could have handled being laughed out of the store by the staff...
dleong

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:53 pm

dleong wrote:

That thought did occur to me after the second disappointment at the Owatonna store, but I didn't think my fragile ego could have handled being laughed out of the store by the staff...

With Cabela's you can now order online and have delivered to whichever store is most convenient. So you get new in box and it does not matter which location has what stock.
Holland&Holland

Postby ex-LT on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:33 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
dleong wrote:

With Cabela's you can now order online and have delivered to whichever store is most convenient. So you get new in box and it does not matter which location has what stock.

Caveat: They charge $25 for that service.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:51 am

Since when?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:22 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Since when?

So many cheaper places to order online. Davidson’s and budsgunshop are a couple I prefer.
Ghost

Postby dleong on Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:47 am

It's nice to be able to order online and perhaps save a few dollars, but there's still no guarantee that you'll get an unbuggered gun. The current sale at Cabela's brings the out-the-door price of the VP40 close enough to online pricing that I'm willing to pay the small difference to be able to actually inspect the product before buying it.
dleong

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 am

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Since when?

So many cheaper places to order online. Davidson’s and budsgunshop are a couple I prefer.

Never said their weren't, he wants to buy from Cabela's at Cabela's price and wants to be able to inspect before taking possession. Just telling a way to do that without running all over MN 1st.

In general your statement is true, however you have to factor in transfer fee and shipping. Depending on the source 3% credit card fee. Then there is the whole sales tax issue.

I do the math and check several sources. Most sources will be the best option at one point in time. With Cabela's their might be coupons or credit card points that also factor into the value analysis.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Handguns