Favorite 9mm suppressor host, and can we meet at a range

Discussion of handguns

Postby BoltActionAssault on Fri May 25, 2018 8:19 am

I have an Octane 9 I want to get a low blowback, accurate, full size 9mm pistol host for range use.

I'm looking for opinions from people with experience trying multiple hosts. It sounds like P226 and SP01 are commonly recommended hosts. I've tried it on a Glock 17 too and was impressed with the low blowback on it.

Additionally, If you're in the twin cities, I'd like to see if we can find time to meet up and test it out. I have some other interesting gear that I can bring with too.
BoltActionAssault

Re: Favorite 9mm suppressor host, and can we meet at a range

Postby Sigfan220 on Fri May 25, 2018 2:31 pm

I have a Gemtec GM9. It's pretty loud with supersonic. I just can't get excited about can's on pistols anymore. Rifles - I'm all about it, pistols not so much.
Sigfan220

Postby Bessy on Fri May 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:I have a Gemtec GM9. It's pretty loud with supersonic. I just can't get excited about can's on pistols anymore. Rifles - I'm all about it, pistols not so much.

Why would you shoot super 9mm through a suppressed host, when you can use subs.

Honestly suppressed rifles don't do it for me, because anything worth shooting is super sonic, and still loud. A suppressed 9mm pistol or pcc with subs is where it's at.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby xd ED on Fri May 25, 2018 4:29 pm

Bessy wrote:
Sigfan220 wrote:I have a Gemtec GM9. It's pretty loud with supersonic. I just can't get excited about can's on pistols anymore. Rifles - I'm all about it, pistols not so much.

Honestly suppressed rifles don't do it for me, because anything worth shooting is super sonic, and still loud. A suppressed 9mm pistol or pcc with subs is where it's at.

Yeah, there is still some noise from a rifle, they're not 'silent', but on the firing line a 308 sounds like a nail gun.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Bessy on Fri May 25, 2018 5:24 pm

xd ED wrote:
Bessy wrote:

Yeah, there is still some noise from a rifle, they're not 'silent', but on the firing line a 308 sounds like a nail gun.

You want catch me shooting a super sonic rifle without ears.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby Ghost on Fri May 25, 2018 5:58 pm

22LR pistol is best suppressed pistol
Ghost

Postby BoltActionAssault on Fri May 25, 2018 6:51 pm

I'm looking for feedback on 9mm handguns only. Thanks.
BoltActionAssault

Postby goalie on Sat May 26, 2018 5:41 am

I use a G17, G19, and a Ruger PC Carbine for 9mm.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Ghost on Sat May 26, 2018 5:59 am

BoltActionAssault wrote:I'm looking for feedback on 9mm handguns only. Thanks.

Fine

http://www.handgunsmag.com/reviews/semi-auto-handgun/review-hk-usp-9-tactical/

Ghost

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:58 am

Bessy wrote:

Sorry to dig this back up. I'm not on hear much. A good rifle can is quiet as hell, at least compared to not shooting with a can. Muzzle blast on magnum rifles can wear on you on a long day of shooting.
Even if you wear muffs the shooting experience is better. But yeah subs are the way to go for super quiet. Unfortunately there are a lot of bad rifle cans on the market. Most of mine are Dead Air. I swear it is quieter on a 300 than a 308. Also how a silencer sounds and how it meters can be two totally different things. Some companies go for the quietest meter reading while others go for the best sounding.
Sigfan220

Postby obremski on Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:25 pm

I've shot a bunch of 9mms with a can, and probably my favorite hosts/least face-blasty (to me) are my Browning Hi-Power, Sig P229, Walther P99, and a CZ P01 that I recently sold...my Glocks, and honestly most other 9mms that have a wide open top of the slide when cycling, tend to spatter a bit more. The Sig Classic P-series guns are generally pretty good about it, but nearly all the other guns that lock up the same way suffer to some extent with the same blowback problem. Metal framed CZs fortunately don't have an open top slide like the rest, so there's a far smaller window to get blowback from on them.

The type of can, and the type of baffles or core, also have a huge impact on how much blowback you get...

I don't have a USP in 9mm but my 45, with the correct recoil spring assembly (the Tactical/SD model guns have different recoil spring assemblies than non-Tactical USPs), my USP is really nice, as well as quiet, to shoot suppressed. Without the Tactical model specific recoil spring assembly it does have a bit more blowback and doesn't seem to be as quiet, but it's still not terrible.

I don't have a 1911 in 9mm either...but if the 9mm acts like a 45 1911, then it should be fine, too.

I honestly don't recall how my Beretta 92 was as a can host; I don't think it was bad, but I just don't shoot it much. I should probably take it out and remind myself...
obremski

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:33 pm

How long will it take the Frightened Ones to realize that suppressors don't turn gun fire into mouse farts and make them less hassle to own one and less expensive to buy?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:34 pm

yukonjasper wrote:How long will it take the Frightened Ones to realize that suppressors don't turn gun fire into mouse farts and make them less hassle to own one and less expensive to buy?

Forever. They want to ban all guns and gun related items, what makes you think they would ever give anything?
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:44 pm

yukonjasper wrote:How long will it take the Frightened Ones to realize that suppressors don't turn gun fire into mouse farts and make them less hassle to own one and less expensive to buy?

Gunfire reports/ noise is the most universally offensive and annoying aspect of firearms usage. It's about the only thing that puts gun-neutral people against firearms.
Why would the antis want to reduce that?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:02 pm

Don’t forget the shot spotters. They can’t hear a little popcorn fart.
Ghost

Next

Return to Handguns