Glock 17 mos co witness

Discussion of handguns

Glock 17 mos co witness

Postby NinjaMonkey on Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:34 am

Hi looking on amazon for some suppressor night sight for my glock 17 mos, different answer for the same products "yes it will and no it wont". Do anybody own a glock mos and have a supressor night sight that actually cowitness with a red dot.(havent bought a red dot yet). So when i say red dot i mean not a specific one at the moment.
NinjaMonkey

Re: Glock 17 mos co witness

Postby Prepared4Survival on Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:30 pm

I've got three two that are factory MOS and one that is aftermarket. The factory MOS with plate needs higher sites to co-witness, one because of the plate and two because the cut is not as deep as others. With that said two things you need to ask yourself before ordering 1) what specific sight are you buying- a deltapoint (or vortex) sits higher than a trijicon RMR, the rmr sits higher than a Shield RMS.

From someone that has all three. My deltapoint is my favorite for shooting and the shield RMS for carry. I like the trijicon too- however I like the big clear sight picure of the deltapoint and the shield RMS because it's so low you don't have to adjust how you shoot.

Next you'll need to figure out if you want a true co-witness where it runs into the dot or do you want the 1/3 co-witness (that most of us do) so it sits lower and doesnt hit the dot.

I end up ordering from Dawson Precision and with 1/3 co-witness you can still have tritium. Ive never had any issues with their product or service.
Last edited by Prepared4Survival on Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prepared4Survival

Glock 17 mos co witness

Postby Prepared4Survival on Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:40 pm

Sorry for the cellphone pics. My wife's not home or I'd have her take nice pics. Here is the Shield RMS. The sights are regular height Trijicon that co-witness perfectly at 1/3. My next I won't go with an orange front site, but i can easily tell the difference between the Red dot and the front sight. Others shoot this gun thought it was confusing.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Prepared4Survival

Glock 17 mos co witness

Postby Prepared4Survival on Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:47 pm

This is the deltapoint.. it's huge and the sights are very tall. I couldn't imagine carrying. It's very crisp and big which is awesome to look through and is a great range run.
this.ImageImageImage

Prepared4Survival

Glock 17 mos co witness

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:30 pm

I saw a video on JP making a mount that is low enough to cowitness with standard height sights and JPoint.
gun_fan111v2

Postby NinjaMonkey on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:14 pm

ok thanks. That help with one answer. I bought the trijicon green front/yellow rear (gl201-c-600651). what sight would you recommend? 1/3 co witness?
NinjaMonkey

Glock 17 mos co witness

Postby Prepared4Survival on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:58 pm

Rear Blade Height:0.361
Front Blade Height:0.365

So it's either a Trijicon RMR or a Vortex Viper both with batteries on the bottom of the sight. Buy a premium battery and use a flicker plate if you get a 1st generation RMR.

Prepared4Survival

Postby NinjaMonkey on Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Thanks ill go with the viper then
NinjaMonkey

Postby UnaStamus on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:37 am

I’ve seen multiple failures with the Vortex miniature red dot sights. This includes the Viper and Venom . It’s not a reliable optic yet. Numberous MRDS have a pattern of failures on pistol, and that includes the Vortex, Shield RMS and a couple other MRDS. As it stands, the Trijicon RMR and Leupold DeltaPoint Pro are the two most reliable sights by a long shot. Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics put out a technical paper last year about it, and he is still doing ongoing testing.

My LE agency is currently testing pistol RDS systems and I am one of the testers. I have a 17 MOS with RMR Type 2 RM06 and I use the Trijicon sealing plate (which also includes the proper length screws). Sealing plate is a must. I have been using it for a year now, and thus far it’s been a tank. We have a couple Leupold DPPs on various guns like a Glock 34 MOS and Sig P320 X-Five, and the DPP has also been going strong with no reported issues. The first DPP was put into service about 7 months ago for our T&E process. A couple Sig Romeo1s are mounted on Sig P320 RX pistols that have been on the street for about 5-6 months now, and thus far we haven’t had any reported issues yet.

We had a very early failure with a Shield RMS, and in long term testing, the optic has shown that it’s total garbage and poorly constructed.

I run Trijicon suppressor height night sights (all black sights) on my duty pistol. The sights are in the lower-1/3 cowitness, and they work exceptionally well. Our guy is running them through is Leupold DPP, and the sights are visible but near the bottom. Another couple officers are using the Leupold and aftermarket rear sight attachments for the DPP.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby NinjaMonkey on Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:19 am

Very interesting. I seen alot of YouTube vids, none of them stated any failures. I will look in to it. I do know ppl have said thr rmr would fail on pistol so that why they came out with the type 2 rmr. It very surprising to me that vortex viper snd venom would fail even on pistol. I heard good thing about it.
NinjaMonkey

Postby NinjaMonkey on Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:20 pm

Work good
NinjaMonkey

Postby UnaStamus on Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:37 am

NinjaMonkey wrote:Very interesting. I seen alot of YouTube vids, none of them stated any failures. I will look in to it. I do know ppl have said thr rmr would fail on pistol so that why they came out with the type 2 rmr. It very surprising to me that vortex viper snd venom would fail even on pistol. I heard good thing about it.

Any MRDS failing on a pistol is not news. Pistol recoil is extremely violent and concussive. No MRDS yet has been 100% reliable on a pistol. Thus far, the Aimpoint Micro is the only optic right now that I have not seen a documented pistol failure from. Unfortunately, the Micro doesn’t fit in a lot of holsters and it’s an unwieldy setup, and it’s not an MRDS. The technology is still in development for a fully reliable pistol MRDS. The upcoming Aimpoint ACRO is promising to be the first MRDS to be fully reliable since it’s been built from the ground-up to go on a pistol, and the design is different from a conventional MRDS by being a sealed/fully housed optic.

The main problem with the Type 1 wasn’t with the optic itself but rather with the battery contact and the type of battery used. There are fixes on the internet to explain it. The Type 2 fixed the issues with the Type 1. Aaron Cowan has put out documents, along with other major names in the shooting world like Dr Gary Roberts, Scott Jedlinski, Steve Fisher, etc. The Trijicon RMR and Leupold Delta Point Pro are consistently ranked as the most reliable and durable optics.

With regard to the Vortex optics, remember that a vast majority of their optics are made on contract in China, Philippines and Japan. I always caution people to be careful about what they read and where they read it; especially with relation to Vortex. Vortex is a good company, but there is a rabid fanboy base that will sing their praises no matter what. It’s the worst I’ve seen for any optics company. I’ve seen more optics failures from Vortex than from any other one singular major optics company (excluding junk companies like Barska and BSA).
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Return to Handguns