XDs in .45

Discussion of handguns

XDs in .45

Postby hopkins on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:08 pm

Well I picked up a new, for me, toy, it is a used pistol, and with the extended mag, it is quite controllable. However it is similar to grabbing a Tiger by the nads. When you squeeze off a round, the little Tiger sure roars. It is the original not the Mod.2
Once the weather clears a bit I will be putting in a lot of range time to get familiar enough to feel comfortable using it as my EDC.

Anyone have experience with this pistol?
hopkins

Re: XDs in .45

Postby jschroeder on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:17 pm

I had one when they first came out. I liked it fine, except for the trigger. It ran everything I put through it (even Freedom Munitions remans :oops: ). I ended up selling it.

ETA One of the guys on my church security team carries one
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
Sabre Personal Safety Academy (Pepper Spray) Instructor
jschroeder

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:03 pm

I rented a 45 when they first came out. I only shot a half box of 50. I really wanted to like it. I didn’t like the grip of the gun at all or the feel of the trigger. That and getting hit in the palm with a 2x4 made for a short trial.
Sorcerer

Postby armedwalleye on Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:29 pm

I've got one, both the 45 and the 9mm. Both are the 1st generation. I tend to carry with the standard (short) magazines in the 45, and I've added the tails to the mags. Makes it a lot more controllable. They are a handful, and not comfortable to shoot, but for the size, they're compact enough for carry, so I guess you have to give up something.
I've found the only problems I have is when I try to go "+1" in the magazine, I get stovepipes. Drop the slide on the magazine to load, don't slingshot it.

Someone told me when I got my first XDs, which was the .45, "Shoot that thing like it owes you money". It's been working so far. It gets range time every time I go. It likes to get run hard.
The weaponized fish.....
armedwalleye

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:11 am

I still have an original model 9mm. Only time I have ever had a malfunction was with Inceptor ARX poly ammo. I can't stand the extended mags, they just feel wrong. I used to have the finger tails on the short ones but when I started carrying it in my cargo pants pocket they had to go. I rarely carry it these days but it's not worth enough for me to sell so I hold onto it. Nothing wrong with it just that for me my pocket 380 is sufficient and more comfortable.
grimbeaver

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:12 pm

I have a 4.5 inch XDm in 40 S&W. Love the pistol. Hated the sites. fixed that.
Bearcatrp

Return to Handguns