Friend looking for a HD gun/first gun

Discussion of handguns

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:14 pm

I have a good friend who lives in South Minneapolis who wants to purchase a nightstand gun. He has never owned a gun and I'm not sure whether he has shot one. He has come to me for guidance. Flattering, but I'm no expert. My advice was to come to the gun range to shoot some of my collection to see what he likes. I plan to spend some time with him before we go to talk range safety and gun handling. He seems adamant about a handgun, but I'm also going to encourage him to try a shot gun.

Should I urge him to take an NRA first time shooter class somewhere? I am fairly confident in my ability to be safe but it's different to assume someone else will be. Should I inform the RO so he can take extra time to do his spiel?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Friend looking for a HD gun/first gun

Postby crbutler on Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:00 pm

An NRA class isn’t a bad idea, nor is the MN hunter safety course.

Taking the CC course also isn’t a bad idea if he’s getting this for home defense- non gun people have a lot of strange ideas as to what is legal for self defense- just because you take the class doesn’t mean you have to get the permit.
crbutler

Postby goalie on Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:00 pm

I take new shooters to the range all the time. I prefer outdoors, but Stock and Barrel is a great atmosphere if you have to pay and go inside.

Had a friend's son go from a .22lr SP101 to an AR pistol and golf ball grenade launcher today. 1 on 1 time, and space, so they're comfortable and not embarrassed is a good idea.

Maybe a dumb question, but where is he going to get a handgun or shotgun? He missed the salad days by less than six months.....

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:11 pm

I agree, he picked a bad time to decide to shop for his first.. panic time. This is all as a result of the recent unrest. He wasn't interested until the riots broke out 10 blocks from his house.....he has a 16 yo daughter to protect.

I belong to stock and barrel in eagan, so that was my plan. Time at the house to handle unloaded and decide what he wants to try. Was hoping to have my SAR K2 45 back from Ahlmans, we'll see. I do wish I had a full size Glockto try, but thought he could rent one at the range.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:46 pm

Sounds like you have a good plan.

If I take a new shooter out, I will not let them load and unload on their own at the range. And they are instructed to put the gun down facing the target if they have a question to ask or think they have an issue.

I also think it helps to keep it simple on the first trip. One .22 to make sure they understand the mechanics and one striker fired 9mm (in their price range if possible) to give them good hands on experience.

I also make sure they are wearing electronic ear protection, they need to be able to hear you well.
gun_fan111v2

Postby 870TC on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:18 am

MN DNR hunter ed is all online because of Covid-19. Not a fan of online but it's a decent program and with your commitment to let your friend actually handle some firearms, it becomes a good option.
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/index.html
870TC

Postby gman1868 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:08 pm

Even though he already bought one, my course "Informed Choices Before You Buy" is an ideal starting point for first time gun owners.

https://www.onedefense.net/courses/informed-choices-before-you-buy/
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:47 pm

gman1868 wrote:Even though he already bought one, my course "Informed Choices Before You Buy" is an ideal starting point for first time gun owners.

Really like that Idea Gman, now extend it to holsters and we won't have safes full of guns we no longer shoot or drawers full of holster that didn't work out.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:01 pm

LarryFlew wrote:
gman1868 wrote:Even though he already bought one, my course "Informed Choices Before You Buy" is an ideal starting point for first time gun owners.

Really like that Idea Gman, now extend it to holsters and we won't have safes full of guns we no longer shoot or drawers full of holster that didn't work out.

I get the holsters thing but why aren’t you shooting your guns? You need more time and ammo my friend.
Holland&Holland

Postby goalie on Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:04 pm

I usually bring a decent selection.

Invariably, what the shooter likes to shoot isn't what the shooter liked BEFORE he/she shot them.

The PPS M2, GP100, SR9c, and VP9sk have been favorites among new shooters.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby gman1868 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:30 pm

LarryFlew wrote:

I case anyone is interested, there's a whole lot more than a discussion of firearms. The seminar has 16 sections (including a discussion about holsters) and takes about 90 minutes or so for the classroom. I use realistic gas blow-back airsoft guns to both determine the appropriate grip size and to learn the techniques without having to deal with the noise and recoil. The second half is joining them at the range to try several different handguns to see which one works best for them.

In the past month or so there has been a record number of new guns purchased with a dramatic increase in the new gun owners. It's imperative that we, as the gun community, do what is necessary to welcome them and provide the help they need to be safe, responsible gun owners. Right now I have a couple specials going on. Women can attend Informed Choices Before You Buy or Handgun Fundamentals for free. I also offer group discounts. If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to PM me.
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:23 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:I get the holsters thing but why aren’t you shooting your guns? You need more time and ammo my friend.

About every time I heal up from something another setback happen. Cracked ribs for instance. So because of those same setbacks have plenty ammo but have gone to shoot 1 time in 2.5 years.

in the past 3 years new hip, new shoulder, thoracic aorta rupture...............
LarryFlew

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:49 am

Is that a useless holster drawer or a nice holster collection? ;)

I get the idea of trying to help other people avoid the same mistakes but I find that with holsters it takes using them for couple of weeks to figure out if that specific holster really works for my needs and body type. As an example, I tried a Milt Sparks Criterion last month and was real happy with it for a few days until I noticed some mild back pains and they were increasing every day. Going back to my cheapo kydex had the pains reducing and going away in few days. Coincidence? Maybe. Will I try that holster again? Not sure. But for now its a part of the holster collection.
gun_fan111v2

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:39 am

Mostly useless and one new one of the one I settled on many years ago. Slight change of design I thought would look better but it's an IWB so who's gonna see it?
LarryFlew

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:17 pm

I seem to remember an attempt on this board to establish a holster exchange. Interesting concept, but it never got any legs.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Next

Return to Handguns