Korth Ranger...

Discussion of handguns

Korth Ranger...

Postby Rodentman on Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:28 am

Worked a partial trade and used stimulus $ to good use last week acquiring this Korth Ranger....the learning about money part is still pending.
The first photo shows the optional 9mm cylinder. I could have lived without it, but it came with the gun, at extra cost of course.

Rodentman

Re: Korth Ranger...

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:40 am

Nice. You finally got your Korth. Congratulations!

Do the gold colored extractors in the cam mean you don't need moon clips with 9mm?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:02 pm

That is some beautiful machining.
grimbeaver

Postby crbutler on Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:22 pm

So, the big question...

Does it shoot better than more pedestrian guns?

Different strokes for different folks re the machining, as I think old school colts and smiths look like what a revolver should- but if this shoots better, I could be convinced to buy one.
crbutler

Postby Rodentman on Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:49 pm

No moon clips needed for 9mm.

I have not been able to get to the range yet due to a death in the family.

Will it shoot better? I don't know. A Rolex doesn't keep better time than a $5 quartz watch, but they command 2x MSRP for some models on the grey market. I like stuff that has exemplary build quality.
Rodentman

Postby crbutler on Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:19 pm

I understand that it will cost more for better quality... once you get to a certain point the cost for minor improvements is exponentially greater.

I’ve never seen a Korth in person, but my one uncle was trying to find one back in the day... but they just were not available here then.

I’m not above paying more, just not personally interested in only fit and finish. The rails and all dont turn my crank, it if it is a 1” gun at 50 yards, it becomes interesting.

My brother has a Rolex... I am not interested in one- rather pay for a hunting safari than buy a Rolex myself... but lots of folks would rather have the watch- and they have something that holds value... my lion isn’t worth 20% of the cost for taxidermy, let alone what the trip cost.... so no criticism intended of you.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:54 pm

crbutler wrote:I understand that it will cost more for better quality... once you get to a certain point the cost for minor improvements is exponentially greater.

I’ve never seen a Korth in person, but my one uncle was trying to find one back in the day... but they just were not available here then.

I’m not above paying more, just not personally interested in only fit and finish. The rails and all dont turn my crank, it if it is a 1” gun at 50 yards, it becomes interesting.

My brother has a Rolex... I am not interested in one- rather pay for a hunting safari than buy a Rolex myself... but lots of folks would rather have the watch- and they have something that holds value... my lion isn’t worth 20% of the cost for taxidermy, let alone what the trip cost.... so no criticism intended of you.

But the memory of that lion is probably worth much more...
Holland&Holland

Postby Rodentman on Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:37 pm

Yeah, I am anxious to get it out to the range to see how it performs.
Rodentman

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:11 pm

RM, I'm sorry to hear of your family's loss.

That Korth is One Sweet Revolver. I've never seen on in person, but your photo is superb. Please let us know how it shoots, once you are able to take it to the range.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Return to Handguns