Pawn shop revolvers?

Discussion of handguns

Pawn shop revolvers?

Postby Lumpy on Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:43 pm

Anyone opinions on whether it's worth looking at what revolvers one might find in area pawnshops?
Lumpy

Re: Pawn shop revolvers?

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:18 pm

Sure always worth looking at. Just know what you are looking at and don't over pay. Not many pawn shops in the metro I am aware of that carry guns anymore though but maybe other know of more.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:03 pm

Function and lock up would be on my list of things to check. Wheel guns are pretty simple and generally reliable. Here is a resource...
https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/a-revolver-buyers-checklist/
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:45 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Function and lock up would be on my list of things to check. Wheel guns are pretty simple and generally reliable. Here is a resource...
https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/a-revolver-buyers-checklist/

Nice write up.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:55 pm

Thank you. I think it would be a good :
"sticky" reference piece.....
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Drizzle on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:33 pm

I bought a two inch Model 10 from Metro Pawn and Gun in Richfield some time ago. It's been a good revolver, locks up tight and not rusty.

I probably overpaid for it at the time, but not compared to what the sticker might be today. They have had a decent selection there, however being closed weekends is a detriment to my revisiting it anytime soon.
Drizzle

Postby cobb on Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:44 pm

If the price is right and overall condition looks serviceable, then maybe yes, but I think there are 2 simple things that should be check. Verifying the revolver is empty, cock the hammer, finger off the trigger, then push forward on the hammer, hard with your thumb and I mean hard. If the hammer drops, this is a safety issue, maybe someone had done some home gunsmithing on it and the innards will require replacement parts fitted correctly. The second check is to again verify the revolver is empty, cock it, pull the trigger and keep the trigger depressed to the rear. Use the other hand to rock the cylinder back and forth, like trying to rotate. A very small amount of is acceptable, if it is excessive, the cylinder may not align with the forcing cone correctly during a normal firing. The result may be lead splatter back to your face and of course poor accuracy, or maybe worse.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Return to Handguns