Taurus GX4

Discussion of handguns

Taurus GX4

Postby Scratch on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:00 pm

I've been carrying whenever I leave the house for a while now but about 5 or 6 years ago, I started carrying at home also and since sometimes I wear shorts without a belt in the summer, and sweats or joggers in the winter at home, I decided to get something smaller and lighter than my usual carry G17, so it wouldn't pull my pants to my knees. At the time I was looking at all the popular lighter weight, polymer framed, single stack nines, like the Sig 938, G26, LC9, etc... In the end, I ended up getting the Kahr CM9. I thoroughly tested it and felt comfortable with it, and all was right in the world as my PJ pants would not fall. It wasn't but a few months after that the G43 came out and although I am a big fan of Glock, I didn't feel the need to change what I got since I was very happy with the Kahr.

Then came the Sig P365 and I wanted more....

Capacity that is.

I started hearing the problems that Sig was having with their new offering and decided to hold off.

Then the Hellcat came out. I was team Hellcat for a while until I shot one. It was too snappy for me. Then everyone started coming out with a high capacity sub compact, and Sig fixed their problems with the P365.

So now there was Sig's P365, Springfield's Hellcat, S&W's Shield Plus, Ruger's Max-9, Kimber's Mako, Glock's 43X and Taurus's GX4. I was able to handle and shoot each of these over the past year or so, and many of them I actually got to compare against each other. While I was hoping that I would like the Glock or the Kimber the best, I quickly found that the Taurus GX4 was my favorite to shoot. It fit my hand the very best and I was the most accurate with it too. I was planning on putting a red dot sight on it though, and at the time there was no factory option for it, but I figured I'd wait as I thought Taurus would be coming out with one soon, plus it would give me more time to do more research on it and others.

It wasn't long before they came out with their T.O.R.O. version (Taurus Optic Ready Option) Not long after, a few came in to the shop and I got to get a closer look at it. It comes with one 11 round and one 13 round mag (plus 1) so that was a big bonus, and it comes with steel sights, front slide serrations, and a extra backstrap (I like the larger one by the way)

I've started watching a bunch of reviews on it and everyone seems to like this little gun as much as I do. I was never a big Taurus fan, and still aren't, but I am a big fan of their GX4.

I got one for me, put on the Holosun HS507KX2 and I love it. If I had one complaint about it, it's that you need some sort of tool for takedown although a piece of brass works fine so It's not that big of a deal.

I've only got a little over 250 rounds of FMJ and 50 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense through it so far, but it still feels great to shoot. I did have one failure to go into battery where the slide didn't quite go forward enough, but that was a reload that also hung up in my G17 so I'll chalk it up to bad ammo.

If you're looking for a higher capacity sub compact 9mm, definitely check out the GX4!

01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Taurus GX4

Postby smurfman on Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:56 pm

I picked one up last October and have been mostly satisfied with it. I have about 500 rounds through it so far. I picked it up as I wanted a little more capacity over the Kahr CW9 I carry when I can't carry a larger gun.

My only complaints are grip length and sights. In the store my whole hand fit on the grip though just barely. Once I put it in a holster and drew, my pinkie hangs over the end more often than not. I can still shoot it well but I just don't like not having all my fingers on the grip. Odds are that problem will fix itself when I find some 13 round mags I wish to afford.

The sight problem is more of an issue. At 20-25 feet, it shoots several inches low with 115 gr bulkets. If one aims at the throat of a standard B-27 target, the bullets land around the top of the X-ring. Switching to 147 gr bullets cuts that in half but it is still pretty low. At least they all are centered.

I've talked to Taurus but they want me to send the gun back. I sent in a P145 for the "safety update" but that took nearly 6 months pre-Chinese flu. I can only imagine how long it would take now. I will probably figure out an aftermarket sight to use as the factory is OK but I wouldn't mind something a little easier to see.
smurfman

Postby Scratch on Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:30 pm

smurfman wrote:I picked one up last October and have been mostly satisfied with it. I have about 500 rounds through it so far. I picked it up as I wanted a little more capacity over the Kahr CW9 I carry when I can't carry a larger gun.

My only complaints are grip length and sights. In the store my whole hand fit on the grip though just barely. Once I put it in a holster and drew, my pinkie hangs over the end more often than not. I can still shoot it well but I just don't like not having all my fingers on the grip. Odds are that problem will fix itself when I find some 13 round mags I wish to afford.

The sight problem is more of an issue. At 20-25 feet, it shoots several inches low with 115 gr bulkets. If one aims at the throat of a standard B-27 target, the bullets land around the top of the X-ring. Switching to 147 gr bullets cuts that in half but it is still pretty low. At least they all are centered.

I've talked to Taurus but they want me to send the gun back. I sent in a P145 for the "safety update" but that took nearly 6 months pre-Chinese flu. I can only imagine how long it would take now. I will probably figure out an aftermarket sight to use as the factory is OK but I wouldn't mind something a little easier to see.

You can get the plus 2 round extension and new spring from Taurus for 9 bucks each. Cheaper than buying new mags...
Scratch

Postby smurfman on Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:09 pm

Thanks for the tip. It sure beats $50+ for the mag - if one can be found.
smurfman

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:48 pm

Thanks for the review.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:34 pm

I have heard good things about them from 2 friends who have both switched to them from much more spendy arms.
Holland&Holland

Postby Scratch on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:01 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I have heard good things about them from 2 friends who have both switched to them from much more spendy arms.

OH yeah... I forgot to mention that the Taurus is the least expensive out of all the choices I listed. Bonus!
Scratch

Postby old guy on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:20 pm

Hey Steve, I've owned 6 or 8 Taurus, they've been good to me, I still have a pt145 and a couple snubby revolvers.
But my main carry these days is the Sig. P365, that little gun just works for Me.
old guy

Return to Handguns