Appraisal of Mauser C96 "Broomhandle"

Discussion of handguns

Appraisal of Mauser C96 "Broomhandle"

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:11 pm

I own a 1932-1934 vintage Mauser Red 9 c96 Broomhandle that I'd like to get appraised. I've asked this question before, here on this site, and Gunbroker isn't helping me and the websites I've been able to find aren't helping much either. There appear to be enough variables and points that drive value that I would only be guessing if I tried to pick a value based on what I read. I know the approximate manufacture date from a serial number check on a site- who knows how accurate that is as I've seen multiple references that seem to be in conflict.

Anyone know of a reputable resource for getting a straight up value on this firearm?

Thank you in advance.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: Appraisal of Mauser C96 "Broomhandle"

Postby crbutler on Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:47 pm

With something like that, condition is very important.

One option would be to take it to a few of the more upscale gun stores and either ask for an appraisal or see what they would offer for sale.

The C96 I have I brought so long ago, I paid like $500 for, but it’s a .30, not a 9.
crbutler

Postby smurfman on Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:00 pm

In the Twin Cities I would try Al's Gun Shop in White Bear Lake or whatever town contains the intersection of Co Rd E and Hwy 61. He prefers Old West firearms but is pretty knowledgeable on other old guns.

Outside the Cities, Puglisi's on Hwy 23 on the south side of Duluth would be my first choice. Boone's in Isle would be a possibility too. I can't think of his name right now but there is a guy from Wisconsin that is a regular at the military and gun shows at the State Fairgrounds that could probably be of assistance. I'll come up with the name sometime when I'm unable to post but if when I'm able to and if I remember I'll post it here.
smurfman

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:38 pm

yukonjasper wrote:I own a 1932-1934 vintage Mauser Red 9 c96 Broomhandle that I'd like to get appraised. I've asked this question before, here on this site, and Gunbroker isn't helping me and the websites I've been able to find aren't helping much either. There appear to be enough variables and points that drive value that I would only be guessing if I tried to pick a value based on what I read. I know the approximate manufacture date from a serial number check on a site- who knows how accurate that is as I've seen multiple references that seem to be in conflict.

Anyone know of a reputable resource for getting a straight up value on this firearm?

Thank you in advance.

Have you written to Garry James?
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:15 pm

No. Who is Gary James?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:32 pm

yukonjasper wrote:No. Who is Gary James?

If you are a gun guy, you should know Garry James. I don’t know his full bio but he does the what is this and what is it worth column for American Rifleman and is considered one of the predominant authorities on historical firearms.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:56 pm

I guess I'm not a gun guy then because I never heard of him. From what I found out, he is pretty old and I wonder how a letter to him would work out.....would he do an appraisal through mail correspondence? It doesn't appear that he outright offers that service. Has he provided you with an appraisal? How would I get in touch with him?

Any other suggestions for someone sort of local that I could take the gun to for an inspection and appraisal?
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:56 pm

yukonjasper wrote:I guess I'm not a gun guy then because I never heard of him. From what I found out, he is pretty old and I wonder how a letter to him would work out.....would he do an appraisal through mail correspondence? It doesn't appear that he outright offers that service. Has he provided you with an appraisal? How would I get in touch with him?

Any other suggestions for someone sort of local that I could take the gun to for an inspection and appraisal?

Just write him. My understanding is that he answers a fair number of letters and the coolest ones get in the mag. No guarantee of course. Worth a shot though. Yes he is old but so is your Mauser so. There are online resources that come up in a google search. I think you are just going to have to start making calls and see where it leads. I have seen quite a few get appraised on TV at the Wanenmacher Gun show in Tulsa. Worth a trip? I dunno, supposed to be a heck of a show.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:14 pm

Where would I find the address?
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:10 am

yukonjasper wrote:Where would I find the address?

mailto:Publications@nrahq.org
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:39 pm

Correction, just got his column. His direct email is Garry.james@outdoorsg.com

His column is I. Guns and ammo not American rifleman.

Though I coulda sworn he was in there too. Will know when that next issue arrives for sure.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:47 pm

The American Rifleman has their "I have this old gun" feature regularly. I don't think they offer any appraisal service per se, and your odds are low of getting them to choose yours.

I have seen Gary James' column a few times (I gave up on buying gun rags after a few things hit me that ALL the articles are paid shills.) but the expectation that you could get a free appraisal out of him seems unlikely.

The post WWI C96 pistols, while collectable are on the relative lower end of value based on provenance unless you can find that it was owned by some historic figure (I can only imagine what Churchill's C96 from Omdurman would be worth...) Without significant historic provenance, its extremely condition dependent and if there is any minor detail that would indicate its been messed with, it gets a lowball price.

I still think the best way for cheap would be to take it to a upscale collector friendly dealer and just ask what he would pay for it and double that. You could also go to an insurance guy and find out who they use for appraisals for collectable guns. The gun insurance I have on some of the higher end ones that I use for hunting usually gives a "mutually agreed value" rather than an overt appraisal- and uses new value when its something still being made.

Doesn't help much.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:10 am

I have heard he answers more letters than they print. Probably a long shot but I doubt there is a better resource.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:54 pm

crbutler wrote:The American Rifleman has their "I have this old gun" feature regularly. I don't think they offer any appraisal service per se, and your odds are low of getting them to choose yours.

I have seen Gary James' column a few times (I gave up on buying gun rags after a few things hit me that ALL the articles are paid shills.) but the expectation that you could get a free appraisal out of him seems unlikely.

The post WWI C96 pistols, while collectable are on the relative lower end of value based on provenance unless you can find that it was owned by some historic figure (I can only imagine what Churchill's C96 from Omdurman would be worth...) Without significant historic provenance, its extremely condition dependent and if there is any minor detail that would indicate its been messed with, it gets a lowball price.

I still think the best way for cheap would be to take it to a upscale collector friendly dealer and just ask what he would pay for it and double that. You could also go to an insurance guy and find out who they use for appraisals for collectable guns. The gun insurance I have on some of the higher end ones that I use for hunting usually gives a "mutually agreed value" rather than an overt appraisal- and uses new value when its something still being made.

Doesn't help much.

I appreciate the thoughts and the time spent answering.

Any suggestions on an "upscale collector friendly dealer " I could contact?

Thanks in advance.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby crbutler on Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:23 pm

The ones I have dealt with in the past-

Ahlman’s
Cabelas (Owatonna, but I’m sure the metro one can… but since Bass pro got involved, not so much so)

I’m more a buyer, not a seller, but those along with Bill’s were where I have brought collectable guns.

Bill’s I had bad experiences with, so no longer on the list.
crbutler

Next

Return to Handguns