Should I get a .41 Magnum?

Discussion of handguns

Should I get a .41 Magnum?

Postby Lumpy on Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:15 pm

They're rare but still out there. Is it worth it, or would I do better to get a 10mm, or maybe stick with a .44 only with a custom lighter load?
Lumpy

Re: Should I get a .41 Magnum?

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:17 pm

Lumpy wrote:They're rare but still out there. Is it worth it, or would I do better to get a 10mm, or maybe stick with a .44 only with a custom lighter load?

Get all 3. :twisted:
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:47 pm

If you want a .41 Magnum, get a .41 Magnum. If you want a reliever that can do everything the .41 can do and more get the .44.

Plus, I have to think it's easier to find 44 vs 41 ammo these days.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby crbutler on Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:12 pm

Why not?

A .41 will do anything a .44 will do here.

It won’t handle as big of bullets, but really with the .460 and .500 out there it’s not necessary to overstress the .44, either.

The .44 is a better big bear stopper or really big game hunting gun.

The .41 will kill deer and black bear fine.

I’ve got both. The .41 seems the more accurate to me.
crbutler

Postby hard h2o on Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:19 am

If you do not reload look into ammo availability.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:09 pm

hard h2o wrote:If you do not reload look into ammo availability.

Right now that would eliminate most chamberings including .44 mag.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:24 am

Go 10mm. You won't regret it. In a 1911 of course.
Bearcatrp

Postby crbutler on Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:28 pm

Ok, let’s reset the discussion-

Why are you asking this?

It sounds like you already have a .44 mag revolver.

If you want a different range toy, then a 10mm auto would be a less powerful choice that is quite different than the.44, but still falls into the “magnum” power range.

For hunting big game, the .41 is a bit less capable at the top end than the .44, but more capable than the 10mm on the cartridge level. The .41 is typically made on the same size handgun as the .44, so roughly the same weight, and in a hunting package is usually heavier than the usual 10mm auto.

Both the 10mm and .41 have admirable reputations for accuracy and controllable power.

At this point in time, the 10mm is on an upswing in popularity. The .41 is either holding on or losing a bit.

If you are trying to be a bit more “exclusive” or eclectic, (think collecting) the .41 is the better choice.

If you are thinking a backup self defense/animal defense handgun, the .41 has the plus of being workable with birdshot (snakes), allowing lighter and heavier loads to be carried in the cylinder at the same time, and revolvers tend to be less maintenance intensive than autos. The 10mm has the advantage of being a bit lighter and faster on follow up (in semiauto format - remember that there are 10mm revolvers out there, but they are rare.)

So, really the answer is depending on what you want it for.

If it’s for practical purposes, you are better off with specialized loads for what you have (.44) and practicing/getting formal training.

If it’s a combination of reasons or desire, then whatever you want once you decide which is more important. The good news is there is no wrong answer.
crbutler

Postby Lumpy on Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:01 pm

I currently don't own any revolvers, and I don't hunt so that's not a consideration. I've shot the .44 magnum and concluded that while it's a credible round it's overpowered for any kind of self-defense scenario. I guess really I've been infatuated with the idea of the overlooked .41 being "the little magnum that could"; I just didn't know if time has passed it by as other alternatives came along. So investing in a .41 wouldn't be too silly?
Lumpy

Postby IvanTheTerribleShot on Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:30 pm

Lumpy wrote:I currently don't own any revolvers, and I don't hunt so that's not a consideration. I've shot the .44 magnum and concluded that while it's a credible round it's overpowered for any kind of self-defense scenario. I guess really I've been infatuated with the idea of the overlooked .41 being "the little magnum that could"; I just didn't know if time has passed it by as other alternatives came along. So investing in a .41 wouldn't be too silly?

Are you averted to .357 which I think is a much more practical Magnum?
IvanTheTerribleShot

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:09 am

Once again, there is nothing “wrong” with it. Are there better mousetraps? Yes, but that doesn’t mean one has to limit oneself to just plain vanilla ice cream. Live life, have fun, and yes go buy yourself a .41.

Then get a .44, a 10mm, and sure throw in a .357 too!
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:43 am

Are you planning on carrying this weapon your looking for or home defense? Any pistol fired in a house will wipe out your hearing for awhile. I still stand by my suggestion of go 10mm but another possibility is get a 44 magnum and shoot 44 special. Less recoil. Have shot 44 special out of my 44 mags I used to own and found it better for follow up shots. A 10mm with hollow points will drop just about anything with good shot placement.
Bearcatrp

Postby xd ED on Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:25 am

If, in some dystopia, I could only own one handgun, it would it would be a SA/DA revolver in 357 Mag/38 Spl with a 4" barrel...maybe even opting for an 8-shooter.
There are no real world, significant compromises in that platform.
It's a full size handgun, reasonably concealable, reliable, accurate as you want to be.

357 is a robust SD/HD round, adequate for MN critter protection and most in-state handgun hunting, and 'good enough' for most recoil junkies
38 Spl ammo is good SD/ HD round; cheaper, less recoil. less noise; makes for a nice range gun, as well and introducing shooters to the sounds and recoil of something above a 22lr handgun.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby crbutler on Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:25 pm

The answer is no, it’s not too silly.

An infatuation with the cartridge is as good a reason as any.

With ammo where it is now, your options to buy varying power rounds are pretty limited, but with reloading it’s a bit easier.

Of course, components are tight now as well.

From a defensive standard, the .41s are bigger than most self defense guns currently, and the usual ammo is more geared at hunting/large animal defense than the idealized police load was for it, but that’s not the lack of capability.

I’ve got a few .41’s and I really like the round.

In fact, since the advent of the .454 Casull, I’ve had less thought of the general utility of the .44, as the .41 has so much upside in the less heavy load options.
crbutler

Postby hard h2o on Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:04 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
hard h2o wrote:If you do not reload look into ammo availability.

Right now that would eliminate most chamberings including .44 mag.

We have intermittent availability of .44 Magnum at the store I work at. I am not sure if I have ever seen .41 Magnum.
hard h2o

Next

Return to Handguns