Sig P220 Spring help

Discussion of handguns

Sig P220 Spring help

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:58 pm

I replaced my spring this year with at the factory recomended interval of 5000 rounds. The problem is I am not entirely satisfied with the fatory spring. The reviews on Midway did not seem to favor the springs available. Has anyone replaced a 220 spring with an aftermarket with good luck? I like to shoot lighter target loads but am very limited with the stiff factory spring. Any suggestions??

While I'm on the subject - buffers as well. I was very dissapointed with the buffer I picked up. The guide rod was so small it allowed the spring to bind and made a terrable sound when you racked the slide back.
Sigfan220

Re: Sig P220 Spring help

Postby jac714 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:07 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:I replaced my spring this year with at the factory recomended interval of 5000 rounds. The problem is I am not entirely satisfied with the fatory spring. The reviews on Midway did not seem to favor the springs available. Has anyone replaced a 220 spring with an aftermarket with good luck? I like to shoot lighter target loads but am very limited with the stiff factory spring. Any suggestions??

While I'm on the subject - buffers as well. I was very dissapointed with the buffer I picked up. The guide rod was so small it allowed the spring to bind and made a terrable sound when you racked the slide back.

I have had really good luck with Wolff Springs http://www.gunsprings.com they have a variety of spring rates for most guns.

Good Luck.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:21 pm

I'll have to try them out. It just kind of made me wonder why one review says they work great and another says they don't even fit. Maybe one had an early model that has a differant guide rod. I hate to put to much faith in the reviews to begin with since anyone can post one.
Sigfan220

Postby Widge on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:28 pm

Buy the Wolf calibration pack of recoil springs, and the calibration pack of mainsprings. You can mess around til you get the best combination. With my 226 I went up 1lb on the recoil spring, and down 1lb on the mainspring, I tried more but started getting light strikes. Even that amount makes a discernible difference in the weight of the trigger. Another tip is to polish the hammer strut and the inside of the mainspring before you re-install it, this smooths up a lot of the double action pull.

Dump the recoil buffer, it's a waste of time and not necessary in a combat handgun. It (as you've found) either binds the recoil spring or slows the slide velocity so much you'll start getting FTEs and whatnot. If Sig thought they were required they'd ship pistols with them installed as OEM already.
I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
Widge

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks for the advise. I have been shopping around a bit but love not made a purchase. Sounds like Wolff is the way to go.
Sigfan220

Postby Belgiboy on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:58 pm

I'll be very interested in how you fare with those Wolff springs, my P220 is not due for a spring change just yet but that would be a very helpful piece of info for me. So by all means share
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Wolff are the way to go, always!
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby Joat on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm going back to factory springs for my CZ 75 compact, the wolf recoil springs are simple round wire the factory springs are rectangular wire and have a longer free length. The problem with round wire springs in a compact gun are in order to get the compressed force right the tension in the wire is very close to the yield point the spring will work but it will not last many cycles. The rectangular wire allows for more steel the pitch can be less to achieve the same force and the stress in the wire is less when compressed. The other way to make a longer lasting spring in a compact space is to use braided wire (really just multiple pieces twisted together). The CZ 75 compacts used braided wire originally also the Sig 225/P^ uses a braided wire recoil spring, the other one that comes to mind is the SKS op rod spring. the Detonics Combat Master used a triple recoil spring for the same reason. If the gun came with a shaped or braided wire spring I'd be leery replacing it with a Wollf and if you do watch it for wear it probably will not last as long as the factory spring did.
"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret" Breda
Joat

Postby Widge on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:07 am

If I use Sig OEM springs I change them at 5K rounds, with Wolff springs I change at 3K. So far, so good.
I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
Widge

Postby Pat on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:20 am

Springs are cheap and easy to replace.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Sigfan220 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:54 pm

Pat wrote:Springs are cheap and easy to replace.

Frames and slides are not... The new factory spring seems to be working well so far. I want to pay down the credit card a bit further before logging onto Midway again. I know a $7 spring will turn into a $200 order just like every other time.
Sigfan220

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Get the springs at Brownells....less temptation............well may be no............. :lol:
Einthoven's Triangle

Return to Handguns