MKIII or P22 or Mosquito??

Discussion of handguns

MKIII or P22 or Mosquito??

Postby hrt jr on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:29 pm

Would like recommandations about which for general inexpensive range fun??
hrt jr

Re: MKIII or P22 or Mosquito??

Postby 1911fan on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:33 pm

FInd a Mk 2, I think its a better set up. Or a buckmark or the S&W .22.

Mosquito's have been hit or miss in reliability, and while I really really like my P22's, they are not target quality at all, more suited for a walk in the woods gun, tiny and disappearing in your pocket. but not a lets shoot a few hundred at the range kinda gun.. MY OPINION only.
1911fan

Postby nyffman on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:37 pm

I'll head in the direction of what 1911fan's saying. I have the S&W. It's fun, reliable(except for .22 Thunderbolt ammo) and less $$ than the Ruger.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby infidel on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:48 pm

I love my MKIII. 22/45. It loves the Federal 550 packs. You said you wanted inexpensive range fun. If so, do not follow this link: http://www.mcfaden.com/Clip_Loader.htm
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby FirearmFan on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:00 pm

For a good range gun the MKII or MKIII is prob the best option. They are reliable and accurate making them a great target gun. However, I like that the overall feel of the P22 or Mosquito is more like your standard pistol. For instance you can train with your Mosquito for cheap and it will still feel and operate much like your Sig P-series.
FirearmFan

Postby lenny7 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:03 pm

infidel wrote: If so, do not follow this link: http://www.mcfaden.com/Clip_Loader.htm

Those are slick. I have one for my MKI, which also uses the MKII magazines.
lenny7

Postby hrt jr on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:08 am

Also the only reason I listed those three is they are in the new Cabela's flyer.
I'm open to any recommandation new or used. Thanks
hrt jr

Postby 1911fan on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:23 am

I don't think you can wear out a good .22. I have a 1950's colt and a early mk1 which may have close to a half million rounds thru it between myself and the previous owner.

Usually a used buck mark or Mk1 or 2 can be found for fifty to a hundred less than new. That's a lot of ammo. I find that very rarely does outside appearance on a .22 pistol matter unless it rust then care must be taken to ensure that the bore is not damaged.
1911fan

Postby 40KING on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:07 am

Anybody have one of the P22's with the extended barrel? I would think with a longer barrel it would be a better choice for a target gun.

You might need the comp for the really hot loads. :lol:
40KING

Postby DeanC on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:11 am

The comp on the P22's is fake. It's just a barrel weight. The extended barrel has no cuts in it at all.

It might help with shooting, but it makes maintenance a pain.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby mnglocker on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:19 am

The buckmarks have some uber nice ergos and they're easy peazey to take appart for detailed cleaings or mods.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby plblark on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:35 am

I've owned a P-22, I own a Mosquito, and My dad has the S&W Bullseye 22 (model escapes me at the moment)

I was looking for something in 22 that would closely approximate a carry gun for training and practice purposes.

P-22: Fun little pocket plinker. Cheap way to shoot so so simulated IDPA courses of fire on private land. if that's your thing.
Con: For my purposes, it had a couple features I'd rather it didn't:
1) Mag disconnect safety. The safety that isn't. You unload and show clear but to do that you have to put a mag in and drop the hammer ... anyone see a problem with that? I do
2) The manual safety is just a hammer block. Everything else on the gun works. Pull the trigger, the hammer falls, just can't hit the firing pin. This caused some confusion for students in Classes when they pulled the trigger and nothing happened.
3) Mag release. The funky under trigger guard kind.

Mosquito:
Has the SIG controls down. Smaller version of similar Sig guns. HAs all the knobs / buttons where they would be on a SIG (only problem is decocker and slide stop are backwards from what I expect coming from a 911)
Con: extractor doesn't always grab hold.

I like the Sig better.

That said, I'd love to own the MkIII, the 22/45. or the S&W ;-)
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Vlad on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:40 am

I have a Ruger MarkII with the big bull barrel and it will never be sold. Accurate and fun. I also have the Walther SP22 Mark II with the 6 in barrel. It is a good gun for the cool factor but has the mag safety and the trigger is really hard to get used to. Very long and gritty. Accuracy is good if you can get past the tigger. Disassembly / reassembly makes the Ruger look simple... :shock:
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:43 am

I love my MK III. It has eated everything I have through through it just fine so far. Accurate, fun to shoot. A bit on the pricier side comparitivly but the thing just goes and goes.
Holland&Holland

Postby Grandpa Rex on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:49 am

I have several plinkin' .22s. You can't go wrong spending <$200 each on a variety of range toys. I buy used and find they retain value well if you find you don't like one.

The S&W 22A is a fun one, and you can put optics on it if you like. (The grandson's favorite) I would even buy this one new-good fun to cost ratio.

I also have a SA revolver and a DA/SA revolver for playing. Under $125 each and a lot of fun on the cheap. Sights are poor so don't expect accuracy unless you are a savant.

I have a Bernadelli model 80 which is a great little shooter.

I am still watching for something along the lines of the Mosquito on the inexpensive side to add to the arsenal.

If the focus is on cheap fun, a variety of used items is the way to go so you can choose for the mood you are in.
If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.
Grandpa Rex

Next

Return to Handguns