The girlfriend finally decided what she wants to carry

Discussion of handguns

Postby tommy25000 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:20 pm

A keltec P3AT .380 :x or something similar in size and weight... I have shot these... They are junk. I don't think she could hit a human size target at 10feet with it. But I know it is the only way she will carry so here I am. I will buy a new or used one if anyone knows where to get them at a decent price that would help. The main reasons I posted this is to get some ideas of possible better alternatives. Please give me a few options that are atleast a little better. I know she needs to like it, but the only thing she likes about it is the size and wight so I am hoping there are a few options.

Edit: just remembered the Ruger LCP... I read a few reviews. So far that is in the lead. Any others?
tommy25000

Re: The girlfriend finally decided what she wants to carry

Postby tt3 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Don't knock it, I like mine. We shot a stage at one of the Last Chance Tacticals with it. I've put ~500 rounds flawless through it. Its in my back pocket right now in fact. Get a Hogue jr wrap around grip for it and it's almost a pleasure to shoot. It is what it is, though... Can't expect it to shoot like a full size.
tt3

Postby tommy25000 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:46 pm

tt3 wrote:Don't knock it, I like mine. We shot a stage at one of the Last Chance Tacticals with it. I've put ~500 rounds flawless through it. Its in my back pocket right now in fact. Get a Hogue jr wrap around grip for it and it's almost a pleasure to shoot. It is what it is, though... Can't expect it to shoot like a full size.

Have you shot an LCP? Same? better? worse?
tommy25000

Postby Shipyard on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:35 pm

i have to recommend the LCP myself - owned both the kel-tec and the LCP, same bite and recoil out of the lightweight pocket pistol but the ruger is a much more solid gun in my opinion.

look into the holsters that are the "leather box" - they make the pistol look like a square box in your pocket and have two holes for your fingers on the grip and the trigger finger. i bought one of these at Bills Robbinsdale for $50 and it actually made the pistol much easier to shoot. i believe it would work with a Kel-tec too since they are essentially the same pistol. it's a great carry accessory.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:36 pm

So you think you can TELL her what to shoot? That's why it's still girlfriend :lol:

I make all the major decisions in my house. All my wife does is decide which decisions are major
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby tommy25000 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:38 pm

LarryFlew wrote:So you think you can TELL her what to shoot? That's why it's still girlfriend :lol:

I make all the major decisions in my house. All my wife does is decide which decisions are major

LOL
tommy25000

Postby ComradeBurg on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:45 pm

LarryFlew wrote:So you think you can TELL her what to shoot? That's why it's still girlfriend :lol:

More true words have not been spoken. :lol:
Check out my Truth About Guns podcast at http://truthaboutguns.com/

Also check out my blog at http://blog.christopherburg.com/
ComradeBurg

Postby ttousi on Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:09 am

I have a p3AT and a ruger LCP that she is welcome to try ...........also a Bersa thunder in 380. Some small 9mm's as well. Whatever shoots well for her should be the criteria.

If you want to meet at Oakdale Gun Club and try them let me know. There are other folks who will offer the same. Depending on your location pick one and go for it. Anytime you can shoot before buying..... do it
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby monschman on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:07 am

AHHH tootsie and the wimmins.........Anyhow all that aside, I wouldn't go so far as to say that the p3A-T is junk but I do like the little copy pistol a bit better than it. i would look into having her try a bersa they are a tiny bit bigger but much more pleasant to shoot. One thing to note, as of the current, 380ACP is more valuable than weapons grade plutonium and almost as difficult to find, just a little something to keep in mind. You could also heave her look into some of the airweight revolvers from smith and wesson, There is a reason the series is probably one of the most commonly concealed firearms in the world, actually I believe their is one on the board right now for sale.
The Tyrannosaurus Bitch that I was married to was fond of kahrs to carry, and she had no problem concealing her pm-40, nice to shoot it was not though IMO, wicked little thing to get a good grip on

And the gun wasn't much easier
monschman

Postby plblark on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:11 am

Advice on the LCP: put a box through it before you decide. I've had a few friends try mine and it does take some work and practice to get used to. Thin grip, not too deep either, and a long trigger pull. But all in all, with time, patience, and practice it can put 3 touching at 21 feet. The gun CAN shoot if the shooter does their part.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Joecool on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:22 am

tommy25000 wrote:They are junk. I don't think she could hit a human size target at 10feet with it.

I dare you to stand 10 feet in front of her and let her take a shot? :)
Joecool

Postby KA0OLD on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:54 am

Women also think about style and status. For functionality the Bersa is a good low cost choice, Rugged and dependable. basically a "Walther PPK/S".
If you want to sell her on the Walther, point out that James Bond carried one in all but the last couple (and maybe the first)? Also Adolph Hitler put one in his head after taking the Suicide pill in the bunker. My wife started with a 642 S&W revolver, Bersa, Walther, Springfield Armory EMP, and now a Ruger 22/45. the first 3 are the carry, with the Bersa and Walther being the favorites.
I guess now it's time for the Fashion Concious women to Chime in.
What is "Smart" in womens Fashion this season . . . .

I also have a Kel-Tec PF-9, also very light and 9MM . The action of the PF-9 seems to allow for a lighter recoil than the very light weight 380's, but I'm guessing that the women would perfer the lighter weight (total Weight) guns.

REMEMBER IT'S HER CHOICE!

Good luck
DE KA0OLD
KA0OLD

Postby inspyrd on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:24 am

My wife carries the Sig P232 in .380 We both enjoy shooting it and it is very reliable.

She tried out the LCP at the shooters show last year and did not enjoy shooting it.
Guns are dangerous. The only thing more dangerous is not having them. - G. Edward Griffin
inspyrd

Postby goalie on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:17 am

tommy25000 wrote:A keltec P3AT .380 :x or something similar in size and weight... I have shot these... They are junk.

Maybe just let her carry what she wants and drop the judgemental crap. Believe it or not, what SHE carries isn't about you.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby David on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:38 am

I'm a big fan of the SIG 230/232. Way more accurate and reliable than most .380s, although the heel-mounted mag release requires getting used to. I also have an HK4 that is a great little gun for people with small hands, AND, it frequently comes with four caliber conversion kits!

The SIG 239 is only a little bit bigger and comes in 9mm, so I'd make sure she tried one of those before making the final decision.
David

Next

Return to Handguns