Opinions on XD and XDM

Discussion of handguns

Re: Opinions on XD and XDM

Postby rtk on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:57 pm

monschman wrote:ROFLMBAO :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Hey moderators, can we sticky this video somewhere????

Yep, sure can. Bend over! :roll:
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby tweener on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:48 pm

that video is awesome!!

I need to PRE-VALIDATE my purchase with faceless memebers of this forum....I am clueless.....
Never mind the typos. My keyboard is full of beer, crumbs and Dr. Peper........and .........the typo and grammer police can go to........HE..!.....no...wait a minute......California!
tweener

Postby fatboy97 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:57 am

Awesome video... a few years ago I bought a Glock, then a few more... now I've purchased a XDm9 and now an XD9sc... they are all great guns... that video sounds like some advice I've tried to give.
Be Observant and Be Safe.
fatboy97

Postby Duane J on Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:52 pm

do a google search for "XD torture test". it's a spin on glocks torture test only instead of using 1k rounds they use 20k.

the XD has been in service in overseas military and police work for a very substantial amount of time. i used it in the service, as a government contractor, and it is currently my duty weapon.

i have nothing bad to say about glocks, aside from that they do not have a very natural point of aim for me. i can shoot an XD TONS better.

XD vs. XDM. it's personal preference. they operate on identical platforms with small differences.
Duane Johnson
Instructor - Founder
Firearms Education and Readiness
http://www.fear-mn.com
Duane J

Postby rtk on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:11 pm

Duane J wrote:do a google search for "XD torture test". it's a spin on glocks torture test only instead of using 1k rounds they use 20k.

the XD has been in service in overseas military and police work for a very substantial amount of time. i used it in the service, as a government contractor, and it is currently my duty weapon.

i have nothing bad to say about glocks, aside from that they do not have a very natural point of aim for me. i can shoot an XD TONS better.

XD vs. XDM. it's personal preference. they operate on identical platforms with small differences.

Yep, I have owned both and they are both good. I have also shot the M&P which was a great gun also ( even if it was owned by JoeH :P ) It's what ever works for you, for me it's Glock....But I would have no problem with the Xd, M&P or even the 1911 thingy. Shoot what ever you are happy with as long as they all work as they should.

RTK
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby mnglocker on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:58 am

rtk wrote:
Duane J wrote:do a google search for "XD torture test". it's a spin on glocks torture test only instead of using 1k rounds they use 20k.

Yep, I have owned both and they are both good. I have also shot the M&P which was a great gun also ( even if it was owned by JoeH :P ) It's what ever works for you, for me it's Glock....But I would have no problem with the Xd, M&P or even the 1911 thingy. Shoot what ever you are happy with as long as they all work as they should.

RTK

I like this. Why limit yourself to just one? Get them all. :twisted: 8-)
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby tweener on Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am sure this thread will help others in the future, maybe even me! For the time being, no XD or XDM is in my future..... :cry: :cry: I stubled across a very nice used Glock 22 with factory night sights, for a very reasonable price (at least I thought so) and I have purchased it. I try to limit myself to 1 gun every month or so.......so NO XD anytime soon.

thanks again!
Never mind the typos. My keyboard is full of beer, crumbs and Dr. Peper........and .........the typo and grammer police can go to........HE..!.....no...wait a minute......California!
tweener

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:04 am

tweener wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. I am sure this thread will help others in the future, maybe even me! For the time being, no XD or XDM is in my future..... :cry: :cry: I stubled across a very nice used Glock 22 with factory night sights, for a very reasonable price (at least I thought so) and I have purchased it. I try to limit myself to 1 gun every month or so.......so NO XD anytime soon.

thanks again!

Its ok, indecisiveness is a common thing around here. Whatever you get, you can learn to shoot it and shoot it well. Much to a select group of people's dismay around here, I have a feeling you'll find it to be a very reliable gun (assuming you can stand to leave it in stock, factory condition). Congrats on the new acquisition!
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby NDB_MN on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:42 pm

Pat wrote:Am waiting for Springfield to come out with the XDm in 45 ACP.

Due out in Q4 this year supposedly, one Springfield rep was recently quoted as saying it. Also rumored to be 13+1 like the regular XD45... just with a match barrel and the improved XDm grip.

As for the OP:

I own an XD40 that I shoot very well. I did do a trigger job, as some others have mentioned the XD has a crummy trigger out of the box. Out of the M&P, Glock and XD, I would say the M&P has the worst trigger and the Glock and XD are about equally crappy. The trigger job is easy to do, and the XDTalk forums have multiple tutorials.

I own an XDm in 9mm. Performs well, the trigger is improved (better than a stock Glock IMO) but still not great. I did a trigger job on this one too, easy. Shoots well, runs like a champ. Only 1 failure to feed and the cartridge was out-of-spec, not the gun's fault.

If I were in the market for an XD pistol in .40, especially if you're considering the XD Tactical, I would get the XDm. 16+1 capacity in .40, I love the feel of the grip and the interchangeable back straps.
NDB_MN

Postby Veldy on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:50 pm

macphisto wrote:They're garbage; get a Glock.

I own a Glock 17 and a Glock 21SF and love[d] them both. These guns are high quality guns and I am happy to own them. My wife really loves the 17 and that is her weapon of choice. I have since fallen in love with me SW1911PD. The only thing I changed was to replace the stock magazines with Wilson Combat. The gun shoots anything I run through it and I am far more accurate with that gun then I was ever with any other gun. I practice with home cast Lear bullets loaded into ammo of my design, but I carry Speer Gold Dot.

As for the XD or XDm; I took the 3" 9mm XD for a test drive and found I shoot almost as accurately with that gun as my S&W (45ACP). I will probably buy a compact or subcompact XD or XDm (if the ever make them) for my summer carry. I found that my 5" 1911 concealed well even under a light shirt so I didn't spring for one this summer. Long story short is that I found the XD to be a superior weapon and prefer it over the Glock (not to mention the XDm comes with a match grade barrel).

I shot the Glock for several months in a row and a couple of times a week and picked up a 1911 and immediately was shooting more accurately. Others may have different experinces of course so try it before you buy it. When I picked up the XD compact I immediately shot more accurately than the full size Glock 17.

To each his own, but I would recommend the XD or XDm (if not looking for a compact) in spite of the fact that I own two Glocks and don't own an XD.
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first and last month in advance.
Veldy

Postby Tommy Gun on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:27 pm

I don't know if I will offer anything new, but I will stay on topic. ;)

I own an XD9SC and have been very pleased with it. The first thing I would suggest, if you haven't done so already, is go to a gun shop and actually handle both the XD and XDM in as many variations as they have (i.e. barrel length, caliber). Also, keep in mind the XDM comes with multiple back straps to adjust how it fits in your hand. Hopefully, that will narrow down your choice. Then, take up an offer or two from your fellow members to try out their XD/XDM. If you don't mind paying a few bucks, the gun range I usually go to rents guns. It's $15 for the rental fee, but most of the time I go with one or more friends and we split the cost.

In a way, it's like buying a car. You pick out a make and/or model. Next you get in the driver's seat to make sure it's comfortable. Then you take it for a test drive. Last, you go into debt. :doh:
When you are on the horns of a dilemma, shoot the bull right between the eyes.
Tommy Gun

Postby Veldy on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:54 pm

If you rent the gun, have them field strip the gun in front of you and then ... inevitably, have them clean it before you go shooting. I have rented a couple of guns at Bill's Gun range, and while they do clean them, they don't clean them often enough for my liking. To compare guns, you really want to be shooting a clean gun.
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first and last month in advance.
Veldy

Postby plblark on Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:32 am

Veldy wrote: I have rented a couple of guns at Bill's Gun range, and while they do clean them, they don't clean them often enough for my liking. To compare guns, you really want to be shooting a clean gun.

As the only rental place in town, it's hard to compare how often they clean them. Sometimes it's when they start not workign, sometimes it's when there's down time and the person working likes that gun.

Makes sense to ask if you can field strip, wipe down, and run a bore snake through it at least. Don't know what the answer would be, but might at least ask. Probably have better luck if you look at the retail gun first or tell them you're only renting to try and decide between two guns. More likely to put the time in on a sale than just a rental.

My $0.02
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby tweener on Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:53 pm

For what it is worth, We shot my Glock 22 along side a XDm in 40 and a S&W M & P in 40...

All 3 guns shot great, and accurate, with the XDm producing the tightest groups. The S&W and the XDm both felt much better in the hand, and the grip was more solid.....Glock deffinitely had the worst grip. The S&W had the worst trigger of the bunch, IMHO...the XDm came in second in the trigger dept, and the Glock had the best Trigger.

All 3 were good guns, the S&W was great, if you don't mind a heavier trigger, and a long reset, and kind of tall sights. The XDm could have used a little better trigger (not really that bad, but the glock seemed a little better to me)....the glock could use a better grip.

I would deffinitely own an XDm if they were a little bit cheaper, the grip and ergos, are far superior.......overall, I think it may be a superior gun.
Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.......
tweener

Postby mnglocker on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:26 am

Try one of those Hogue mono-grip sleeves, My brother in-law has them on both his glocks and it fills your palm quite nicely.

http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/handall.html
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

PreviousNext

Return to Handguns