Opinions on XD and XDM

Discussion of handguns

Re: Opinions on XD and XDM

Postby JustinPo on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:35 am

mnglocker wrote:Try one of those Hogue mono-grip sleeves, My brother in-law has them on both his glocks and it fills your palm quite nicely.

http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/handall.html

+1 The houge grip makes a huge difference in the feel of the grip
JustinPo

Postby Veldy on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:24 pm

Tommy Gun wrote:I don't know if I will offer anything new, but I will stay on topic. ;)

I own an XD9SC and have been very pleased with it. The first thing I would suggest, if you haven't done so already, is go to a gun shop and actually handle both the XD and XDM in as many variations as they have (i.e. barrel length, caliber).

Frankly, I would start with a subcompact of any given gun and if you have trouble with the small size, move up to the compact. But, if you can shoot the smaller version, you can certainly shoot the larger version, so there is no reason to waste additional funds renting the 5" if you found the 4" pleasing to shoot, even if you intend to buy the 5". That is up to you of course, but if you can handle the higher recoil and smaller size of the smaller pistols, then there is no reason to think you will have a problem with the larger versions of the same gun. The owner of Bill's Robbinsdale was giving out this exact advice the other day to a guy considering an XD (he wanted to shoot the 3" and then the 4" and he was being told to consider the 3" with the magazine extender if necessary and if he can shoot fine with it, then don't bother wasting his rental money on the 4" or even the 5" barrel version). I have large hands [not too chunky] and had absolutely no problem with the XD SubCompact in 9mm with either the standard magazine or with the magaine with the extended base plate (although I preferred the nice pinky rest with the base plate extension).
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first and last month in advance.
Veldy

Postby Tommy Gun on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:59 pm

Veldy wrote:Tommy Gun wrote:
I don't know if I will offer anything new, but I will stay on topic.

I own an XD9SC and have been very pleased with it. The first thing I would suggest, if you haven't done so already, is go to a gun shop and actually handle both the XD and XDM in as many variations as they have (i.e. barrel length, caliber).

Frankly, I would start with a subcompact of any given gun and if you have trouble with the small size, move up to the compact. But, if you can shoot the smaller version, you can certainly shoot the larger version, so there is no reason to waste additional funds renting the 5" if you found the 4" pleasing to shoot, even if you intend to buy the 5". That is up to you of course, but if you can handle the higher recoil and smaller size of the smaller pistols, then there is no reason to think you will have a problem with the larger versions of the same gun. The owner of Bill's Robbinsdale was giving out this exact advice the other day to a guy considering an XD (he wanted to shoot the 3" and then the 4" and he was being told to consider the 3" with the magazine extender if necessary and if he can shoot fine with it, then don't bother wasting his rental money on the 4" or even the 5" barrel version). I have large hands [not too chunky] and had absolutely no problem with the XD SubCompact in 9mm with either the standard magazine or with the magaine with the extended base plate (although I preferred the nice pinky rest with the base plate extension).

You make a good point, Veldy with which I agree. Not long ago, I had the pleasure to shoot an XD45 (thanks to a fellow shooter who was on the lane next to me) and put the first round dead center in the bulls-eye. The recoil was significantly less than my XD9SC. I really, really liked it. :D :goofydance: :booyah: :D

However, when I wrote:

Tommy Gun wrote:The first thing I would suggest, if you haven't done so already, is go to a gun shop and actually handle both the XD and XDM in as many variations as they have (i.e. barrel length, caliber).

I was not referring to renting the guns at a range. I was referring to actually handling the display guns at a gun shop to see how they feel in his hand. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on that point.
When you are on the horns of a dilemma, shoot the bull right between the eyes.
Tommy Gun

Postby Veldy on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:13 pm

That almost goes without saying .... if you buy a gun sight unseen; never handled little enough fired it or a smaller version; then you are trusting your purchase to pure and simple luck. Just maybe ... maybe; that may not apply to 1911's in certain cases, but if you are good enough to recognize that "certain case" (which I am not), then you know who you are. Handling is good, but test firing is better, and in particular with my previously posted advice in mind where applicable.
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first and last month in advance.
Veldy

Postby NDB_MN on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:44 pm

Veldy wrote:That almost goes without saying .... if you buy a gun sight unseen; never handled little enough fired it or a smaller version; then you are trusting your purchase to pure and simple luck. Just maybe ... maybe; that may not apply to 1911's in certain cases, but if you are good enough to recognize that "certain case" (which I am not), then you know who you are. Handling is good, but test firing is better, and in particular with my previously posted advice in mind where applicable.

You'd be surprised what people do...

Also I wanted to correct something I said earlier. New word from Springfield is that there will NOT be a .45ACP version of the XDm. But who knows if they'll change their minds again.
NDB_MN

Postby Veldy on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:48 pm

NDB_MN wrote:
Veldy wrote:That almost goes without saying .... if you buy a gun sight unseen; never handled little enough fired it or a smaller version; then you are trusting your purchase to pure and simple luck. Just maybe ... maybe; that may not apply to 1911's in certain cases, but if you are good enough to recognize that "certain case" (which I am not), then you know who you are. Handling is good, but test firing is better, and in particular with my previously posted advice in mind where applicable.

You'd be surprised what people do...

Also I wanted to correct something I said earlier. New word from Springfield is that there will NOT be a .45ACP version of the XDm. But who knows if they'll change their minds again.

I think that is a sad mistake, because 45ACP is quite popular. They should at least cover 9mm, 40 & 45ACP. I think they should make them in 3", 4" and 5" in all XD and XDm. Oh well. M&P maybe.
Veldy

Previous

Return to Handguns