Speaking of gun safes...

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Speaking of gun safes...

Postby westberg on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:49 pm

I found this is a quick and simple control for the reloading room. A good kick will still get you in, but it helps to control access and not worry about keys.
http://consumer.schlage.com/products/El ... curity.asp
keypadAuto-Thumb.gif
keypadAuto-Thumb.gif (5.9 KB) Viewed 3000 times
westberg

Postby FJ540 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:03 pm

Our basement has a long narrow storage closet that hides the main electrical panel for the house. If it wasn't for how the doorway is cut into the end of it at an angle, you could have a secret door and no one would ever suspect the room wasn't simply that size.

Unfortunately, the wife has it chock full of junk, so it will never become the armory closet.
FJ540

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:06 pm

FJ540 wrote:Our basement has a long narrow storage closet that hides the main electrical panel for the house. If it wasn't for how the doorway is cut into the end of it at an angle, you could have a secret door and no one would ever suspect the room wasn't simply that size.

Unfortunately, the wife has it chock full of junk, so it will never become the armory closet.

Ah, see I was worried about this from day one, so the day we bought the house I ran down to the basement and went all Neil Armstrong as I planted my flag in what is now my reloading room. In hindsight, I should have brought more flags. I think expanding my tinkering/gun/do anything but the dishes area is unlikely now.

But spending $500 to build what I want, instead of $2,000 will surely have its own appeal. Plus, as I said, I get to play with my power tools which is never a bad thing. Whats the worst that could happen? :twisted:

Now... where did I put that sledgehammer.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby FJ540 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:20 pm

We've got a "workshop" room in the basement as well, that was supposed to be for the mrs' tinkerings, but I'm thinking that might get more gun oriented when we finally get around to dealing with it (once again, it's piled high with her crap).

Keep in mind, I have nearly 1000sf of dedicated "workshop" that she has no control over at all. I simply want to keep the guns inside the house as it's easier to oversee them in here vs out there.

We did discuss the need for crap removal over lunch today. She just needs to get "in the mood" and she'll be going through and eliminating a bunch of that stuff. It's not a song and dance excuse with her either, she does get down to business and unload a lot of junk in short order when she's in the mood to.
FJ540

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:28 pm

For me I've gone to storing some of my more expensive tools in my basement, because the humidity isn't nearly as bad in the warm months there, as it is in our garage. Kind of grinds your gears when you see the chuck on your $X00.00 drill is rusty, and the hammer you've used for years now has a layer of rust on it, etc.

Basement tinker rooms are a must. Working in my non-insulated garage down right sucks.
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby FJ540 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:47 pm

Search the free stuff on CL every once in a while and you should find a free dehumidifier close to home ripe for the taking.
FJ540

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:51 pm

FJ540 wrote:Search the free stuff on CL every once in a while and you should find a free dehumidifier close to home ripe for the taking.

not a terrible idea, but running one Dehu. in the basement is enough. My garage has all the space of a the viking's offensive line sitting in a Chevy Aveo anyway. (1 car garage). So not much space for all the little things I'd like to have in there.
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby 1911fan on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:56 pm

EJSG19 wrote:For me I've gone to storing some of my more expensive tools in my basement, because the humidity isn't nearly as bad in the warm months there, as it is in our garage. Kind of grinds your gears when you see the chuck on your $X00.00 drill is rusty, and the hammer you've used for years now has a layer of rust on it, etc.

Basement tinker rooms are a must. Working in my non-insulated garage down right sucks.

One of the best dollar to results home project is insulating the garage. It really changes a lot of the things you have to do into tolerable if your not baking or freezing. doing the roof is a pain, but do not skimp and do a flat roof, but insulate between the rafters as that will get you the most results in space retrieved. I just helped a customer do the spray foam insulation in their detached garage. I could not believe the difference, from nasty cold damp space to warm and dry, just with a few hundred bucks of spray and a few light bulbs for heat. sure it wasn't shirt sleeve, but it was certainly easy to install the sheet rock with just a sweatshirt on, and its quiet in there
1911fan

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:02 pm

1911fan wrote:
EJSG19 wrote:For me I've gone to storing some of my more expensive tools in my basement, because the humidity isn't nearly as bad in the warm months there, as it is in our garage. Kind of grinds your gears when you see the chuck on your $X00.00 drill is rusty, and the hammer you've used for years now has a layer of rust on it, etc.

One of the best dollar to results home project is insulating the garage. It really changes a lot of the things you have to do into tolerable if your not baking or freezing. doing the roof is a pain, but do not skimp and do a flat roof, but insulate between the rafters as that will get you the most results in space retrieved. I just helped a customer do the spray foam insulation in their detached garage. I could not believe the difference, from nasty cold damp space to warm and dry, just with a few hundred bucks of spray and a few light bulbs for heat. sure it wasn't shirt sleeve, but it was certainly easy to install the sheet rock with just a sweatshirt on, and its quiet in there

Yeah I've considered that a few times. If we planned to be in this house longer than we are planning, I'd do it. But if all goes right we'll move within 3-4 years. So for now I'm just putting up with a few things that I know I won't get the time/money/use back out of by living there longer.

Our basement pretty much goes un-used, so thats a good alternative in the meantime. No $3-5k sump system is what really bums me out. I'd finish the basement if I had that "little obstacle" out of the way.

Hate to finish the basement, or even store tools/guns down there too much, as I do get just a little water in the basement each year.

sorry I seem to be hijacking your thread Fj.
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby FJ540 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:38 pm

I don't care... I know no thread around here makes it past the second page without at least some kind of tangent. ;)

Been working on finishing up the last bits of cement board and getting the joints taped and thin-setted this afternoon. Once that cures, I'm gonna be knee deep in red-guard.

For those who want to make impenetrable rooms in their houses - put up a couple layers of cement board with some 1/8" expanded steel mortared between them and securely strapped to the studs with lag bolts. It'll eat the hell out of anything but a keyhole drywall saw, and then you'd get hung up on the expanded if you tried using that.

+1 on the insulating the garage. It's unreal how much more comfortable it is out there in the summer, and winter.

You need a heat source for winter, but you can cut 30 degrees in the summer without so much as opening a window. Insulating the ceiling is a must. I just used 6" fiberglass above a corrugated steel paneling (lighter than sheetrock).
FJ540

Postby farmerj on Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:15 pm

goes back to both topics.

My house I built in 05 had a store room under the basement stairs that was all mine. I lined it all around with 2 layers of 1/2" fire rock. Gave better protection that a single 5/8" firerock. That way I could seal all of the seams. The door had a similar fire-rating. Any valuables in the house went into this room.

Oh well, plans were to be there for a long time, but things change. Next house will have a similar walk-in closet built for "secure" storage. The inside will have single 5/8" fire-rock, and the outside walls will have two 1/2" firerock. That way the studs should be better protected for support.

I never could get into the idea of buying a safe for big bucks that was nothing but a magnet anyway. The right door is sufficient to add to a reinforced wall.

The big thing will be can you make it smoke/fire rated and can you keep the honest people honest and prying eyes and curious kids out.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Paul on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:00 am

FJ540 wrote:I'm not going to post here anymore.

You tease.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12013&p=126935#p126935
Paul

Postby 1911fan on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:07 am

user842 wrote:
FJ540 wrote:I'm not going to post here anymore.

You tease.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12013&p=126935#p126935

Hey, now, no need for that. His current contributions have been on topic and without malice, no need to be stirring the pot.
1911fan

Postby FJ540 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 am

I'm back by popular demand - I guess you're not popular. ;)
FJ540

Postby Paul on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:17 am

Well you can't take your ball and go home, then show up to play again without someone commenting. It is what it is.
Paul

PreviousNext

Return to General Gun Chat