Shotguns - shorter length of pull

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Shotguns - shorter length of pull

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:28 pm

The question: What shotgun models are there on the market now, that come with a shorter length of pull than the standard 14''-14.5''?

I have found one so far, the Beretta 3901, which seems to be closer to 13'' LoP near as I can tell so far. What other semi auto's or pump shotguns would be available with a shorter LoP than standard? I am still looking, but maybe one of you has already made this search.

The motivation: avoid gunsmithing and stock fitting. Get a turn-key shotgun and go shoot (with the realization that the gun may not be perfectly fit, but close.) 12 gauge preference, 26 inch barrel if not shorter, on the lighter side in weight, field gun type, not a dedicated clays gun.

most youth/ladies shotguns are 20 gauge, which precludes them from this search.

Side gripe: Manufacturer websites (beretta namely) have gone from good to horrible. Beretta used to list these specs thoroughly, now they are nowhere to be found that I can see. What the heck?
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Re: Shotguns - shorter length of pull

Postby Paul on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:31 pm

I bought a CZ 720 Reduced Length (youth model) for my wife... 13" LOP. Nice fit/finish for the money. Let me know if you want to check it out.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-720- ... ed-length/
Paul

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:39 pm

user842 wrote:I bought a CZ 720 Reduced Length (youth model) for my wife... 13" LOP. Nice fit/finish for the money. Let me know if you want to check it out.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-720- ... ed-length/

Thats about exactly what I'm after, except its a 20 gauge. Something creeps me out about taking the bandsaw to a brand new shotgun stock, but that may be the net result.

She'll probably want something around the 13'' LoP though, give or take whatever her personal comfort and fit is. The more models I can find, the easier her/our search will be I think. She's tried all the standard models, and as we thought, they were all too long.

God bless her though, she seems to want a 12 gauge and not 20. So I'll try my best to accomodate.
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:45 pm

The Mossberg Bantam 52132 is a 12ga pump with a 13" LOP

With any Benelli SBE II, M2, or Supernova you can easily change the LOP down to 13.5" with a snap-in replacement recoil pad.. but they're 80 bucks :(

Not sure what you intend to use the gun for, but Browning makes a 12ga Micro Trap with a 13.75" LOP
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:52 pm

Squib Joe wrote:The Mossberg Bantam 52132 is a 12ga pump with a 13" LOP

With any Benelli SBE II, M2, or Supernova you can easily change the LOP down to 13.5" with a snap-in replacement recoil pad.. but they're 80 bucks :(

Not sure what you intend to use the gun for, but Browning makes a 12ga Micro Trap with a 13.75" LOP

Interesting. I hadn't happened upon any of that yet. Thanks Joe.

She is in to breaking clays and wanting to go with our new bird dog this fall (I hope she takes me with her!). In my opinion, we shouldn't get too hung up on having a gun perfectly setup for either type of shooting, just one that does well in both areas. Money being an issue, it needs to be 1 shotgun for both, not 1 for each unfortunately.

That said, anywhere up to about $1k to get the right one is ok by me and my tax refund.

Oh, wood stocks are also the preference. Synthetics are not to her liking, and I can say that I understand that feeling. I do enjoy some pretty wood grain on a hunting gun. Unless of course, there would be a synthetic that made proper use of the right color of pink.
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Good suggestions thus far of course but considering your price range you may want to consider the Browning silver sporter micro semiauto 13.5 LOP in 12ga 2 3/4. Very nice gun.
Last edited by Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holland&Holland

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:03 pm

EJSG19 wrote:Oh, wood stocks are also the preference. Synthetics are not to her liking, and I can say that I understand that feeling. I do enjoy some pretty wood grain on a hunting gun. Unless of course, there would be a synthetic that made proper use of the right color of pink.

The Browning Micro Trap will most likely be the nicest looking gun in that price range (about 675)

"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:07 pm

H&H and Squib Joe.

Noted. I appreciate the suggestions and will definitely be checking out both of those. Big fan of browning's ever since using the BPS gold that my family has had for quite a while. Man, those guns are fit together tight around the trigger assembly, or at least that BPS was.
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby monschman on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:10 pm

I will sing the virtues of the franchi I-12. it is available with a short stock which offers a 12 1/2 lop. also lightweight and fits me (who is absolutely not small and demure) like a glove though
monschman

Postby 1911fan on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:28 pm

There is a browning superposed with a 13 inch stock on it at Gunstop. It's a sixties gun 28 mof and full, it's still got plenty of lever left and it's easy to open but still locks like a bank vault. Far, far better gun overall than the choices given. With a full stock it's a 1200 dollar gun minimum. It's no safe queen but it's one hundred percent sound. Added benefit when a dickhead makes some comment, responding " it's a superposed" will kill it.
Larry will take seven fifty for it.
1911fan

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:43 pm

monschman wrote:I will sing the virtues of the franchi I-12. it is available with a short stock which offers a 12 1/2 lop. also lightweight and fits me (who is absolutely not small and demure) like a glove though

http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/i-12_waterfowl.php#showhide

Am I in the right place to find that short stock option? I do see the short stock option on the 720.
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby monschman on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:49 pm

duh, i was looking at that too. good lord i need to sit up and pull the finger out this **** is too serious to be slacking like this
monschman

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:53 pm

monschman wrote:duh, i was looking at that too. good lord i need to sit up and pull the finger out this **** is too serious to be slacking like this

that was your 1 free one today...
EJSG19

EJSG19

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:57 pm

1911fan wrote:There is a browning superposed with a 13 inch stock on it at Gunstop. It's a sixties gun 28 mof and full, it's still got plenty of lever left and it's easy to open but still locks like a bank vault. Far, far better gun overall than the choices given. With a full stock it's a 1200 dollar gun minimum. It's no safe queen but it's one hundred percent sound. Added benefit when a dickhead makes some comment, responding " it's a superposed" will kill it.

Nice! That is the one to jump on, period, no 2nd thoughts needed.
Holland&Holland

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
1911fan wrote:There is a browning superposed with a 13 inch stock on it at Gunstop. It's a sixties gun 28 mof and full, it's still got plenty of lever left and it's easy to open but still locks like a bank vault. Far, far better gun overall than the choices given. With a full stock it's a 1200 dollar gun minimum. It's no safe queen but it's one hundred percent sound. Added benefit when a dickhead makes some comment, responding " it's a superposed" will kill it.

Nice! That is the one to jump on, period, no 2nd thoughts needed.

true. if its there after this afternoon I'll be surprised.

I've mentioned the "style points" that go with the nice over-unders. Its up to her what platform she wants to go with.
EJSG19

EJSG19

Next

Return to Long Guns