Can you shoot a BB gun in city limits in MN?

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Re: Can you shoot a BB gun in city limits in MN?

Postby BWinger on Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:25 am

I found the ordinances for Rice. It seems prohibited in town - "No person or persons shall fire any type of BB, pellet, or paintball gun within the limits that has been surveyed and platted into town lots, streets, alleys or parks without first having obtained the written consent of the Rice Police Department." according to the pdf. I'd have to guess that the location of the cabin isn't within those confines, but I suppose I should call and ask.

Thanks for the help!
BWinger

Postby nyffman on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:43 am

Sietch wrote:
nyffman wrote:You guys with the low post counts are either trolling or just not thinking very clearly. :roll:
Not really. Points for arrogance anyway.

You'll be alright if you play it cool.

I live in Uptown MPLS and I handle squirrels with a pellet gun. I just make sure to be familiar with the two neighbors who can see me. Both are Anti's actually, but know better than to report a man with a high-power rifle prowling the backyard. They know it's me. You see where I'm going? Even people who are against it on principle are unlikely to make what they really know is an unnecessary stink. And if they are, they'll let you know when you talk to them, either directly or from what you can infer.

The cops won't care unless you make them. Example: if people can see your yard pretty good from the street, don't do it.

Yes, that was aimed primarily at your response. I'll give you points for the awareness that you give bad advice on a public forum. Yeah, I see where you're going.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Stradawhovious on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:52 am

Sietch wrote:You'll be alright if you play it cool.

I live in Uptown MPLS and I handle squirrels with a pellet gun. I just make sure to be familiar with the two neighbors who can see me. Both are Anti's actually, but know better than to report a man with a high-power rifle prowling the backyard. They know it's me. You see where I'm going? Even people who are against it on principle are unlikely to make what they really know is an unnecessary stink. And if they are, they'll let you know when you talk to them, either directly or from what you can infer.

The cops won't care unless you make them. Example: if people can see your yard pretty good from the street, don't do it.

Just because you don't get caught, or intimidate your neighbors into not reporting it, doesn't make it any less illegal. My opinion is that the quote above is terrible advice.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Sietch on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:32 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:Just because you don't get caught, or intimidate your neighbors into not reporting it, doesn't make it any less illegal.
Indicate for me which part of the post recalled or suggested intimidating one's neighbors and I'll give you sticker.
Tony Martin. It could happen to us.
Sietch

Postby WWJD on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:18 pm

^
!
!
!
Wanker

Big no-no, discharge of a firearm in Ramsey county, The whole county
WWJD
Stomp on your goolies, abuse Justabullet catcher, make you give up the info right there and then and then save the world.
IF LIFE WAS ONLY THAT EASY, AND JUSTA WASN'T A PLONKER...BLISS!

FU.. Pei Ying Brit...can I pee on your sofa?!!!
WWJD

Postby jweiss on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Bad karma on this one, just found out my 17 yr old grandson and his 18 yr old buddy got arrested in St Paul for discharging a BB gun in an alley at a target (call was for MWAG) got40 hrs community service and 3 months probation. It could have been worse DA wanted 1000 hrs CS and probation. Don't know about the 18 yr old he gets to go to adult court. :(
Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you. Henry Kissinger A wise man once said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber.
jweiss

Postby John S. on Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:00 pm

nyffman wrote:Nice thread. I don't think it takes too much common sense to know that it's a bad idea to shoot even a BB gun inside of the city limits of any town. Some of the advice you're getting is equally bad. You guys with the low post counts are either trolling or just not thinking very clearly. :roll:

Not even safe displaying a TOY gun in large cities as some children have found out!
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian
John S.

Postby BillG22 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:07 am

Call the city. Then...

Talk to your neighbors.

I live where I can shoot my pistol, or 12G if I want, but I go to the range. Don't want to piss off neighbors who probably use REALLY BIG GUNS :shock:

I stick to my Gamo and 22 LRs :lol:

Oh, I am NOT in a city limit...
BillG22

Postby Snowgun on Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:39 pm

How the hell am I going to get these crows off my roof in Eden Prairie?

Would a slingshot be ok?
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby nederveit on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:17 pm

I would admit this is hearsay...

But I'm the guy mentioned earlier that had the neighbors call the cops on me for shooting a BB gun in my yard. When the IGH cop stopped out, they talked about a recent (local) court case, in where airsoft was deemed legal, and what they recommended I get (instead of a BB gun). I did, but found them worthless.

At the same time, the cop told me she was from Lakeville, and empathized with me as she could (legally) shoot 410's in her back yard. Just what the female officer told me...
nederveit

Postby Viseprints on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:29 pm

All of which indicates that living in city limits sucks big time. :didntdoit:
Viseprints

Postby bobbydamit on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Get this one. In Scott County the law reads, NO! to the discharge of any single projectile, which is a BB or Pellet or a bullet, but shot guns are OK as long as you are 750 ft. from any inhabited bldg. including your own house, barn etc. Now does that make any sense? And why should it since the people making these laws are not gun owners or shooters, just board members trying to make the peanut gallery happy. Oh, and by the way they allow slugs for deer hunting too. Go figure. :roll:
"The Devil Made Me Do It."
Geraldine
bobbydamit

Previous

Return to General Gun Chat