Marlin X7 vs Remington 770 vs Savage Axis/Edge

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Marlin X7 vs Remington 770 vs Savage Axis/Edge

Postby Cadet on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:38 pm

I want one of these 'economy' level rifles for deer hunting. The rem. Has a free bushnell scope, and the the marlin has an 'accutrigger' type trigger, while the creater of this trigger, savage, does not. Anyone have any input? I'm thinking of getting the rifle .308 or 30-06 caliber.
Thanks!
Shooting better than you since 1995.
Mossberg MVP Predator .223/Benelli R1 300 Win. Mag/Browning Maxus 12 Ga./S&W M&P AR15-22 Mall Ninja MOE Edition/Henry Golden Boy 22LR/Remington 870 Deluxe 20 GA.
Cadet

Re: Marlin X7 vs Remington 770 vs Savage Axis/Edge

Postby goalie on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:11 pm

The Marlin is, IMO, better than the others that you mentioned. It is also better than the Mossberg ATR-100 rifles as well (which I happily own).

I would rank them:
Marlin
Savage
Remington

YMMV
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby monschman on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:31 pm

I havent shot the remy or the savage but I own a Marlin in 270WIN, I love that gun. One of the better $275 purchases I made. Theyreally seem to have taken the good from some other brands and combined them in a well put together economy rifle that could probably be sold for twice what it goes for. As a matter of fact I think i wrote a first impressions review on here...............huh, must have gotten lost in all the faffing about last year. Anyway the marlin is a nice gun, as a matter of fact here is a secret, its really a savage built gun :o
monschman

Postby mnglocker on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:53 pm

I'll echo Goalie and Munchy. I've got an XL-7 in .270 that's a tack driver. The most important part especially with a .270 is to break the barrel in perfectly if you want a tack driver btw.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby mnglocker on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:55 pm

I should add that the XL-7 in only available in a long action, so .308win is out of the picture with the Marlin, you'll have to go with a .30-06, .270 or a .25-06.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby goalie on Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:35 pm

mnglocker wrote:I should add that the XL-7 in only available in a long action, so .308win is out of the picture with the Marlin, you'll have to go with a .30-06, .270 or a .25-06.

While you technically cannot get the XL7in .308, you can get the XS7 in .308

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/57849
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby EAJuggalo on Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:28 am

I've got an XS7 in .308 that I'm heading out shortly to break in. I'll post more details on it when I get back.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby Cadet on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:09 pm

thanks juggalo. tell me what you find out.
Shooting better than you since 1995.
Mossberg MVP Predator .223/Benelli R1 300 Win. Mag/Browning Maxus 12 Ga./S&W M&P AR15-22 Mall Ninja MOE Edition/Henry Golden Boy 22LR/Remington 870 Deluxe 20 GA.
Cadet

Postby EAJuggalo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Fired 12 rounds at 50 yards. first three were on the exact same vertical line with approximately 3.5" top to bottom with the second and third shots about a half inch. I guarantee that the rifle is much more accurate than I can make it as this is only the second rifle larger than .22 that I've shot. That said I managed to put my first five rounds in 3.5". Kicks quite a bit but that's to be expected. Sitting on top I've got a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50 scope. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/de ... ber=746570
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby EJSG19 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:51 pm

almost started a thread to ask basically this same question.

Due to the budget and availability of used lever rifles in .357, my brother asked what else I'd go for in a good all purpose farm rifle, that was bigger than a .22 LR and run about 400-500 bucks.

We liked the features, looks, and price of the Savage Axis Stainless XP (comes with a 3x9 simmons scope I guess.) He isn't a gun nut by any stretch, but he knows the deal. I had personal excellent experiences with savage bolt guns, so we went that way. He got one ordered in .223 so if anyone cares to hear a review just let us know in a week or two.

Looks like a pretty good deal for about $480 out the door. More than enough to pop skunks and raccoons at 50 yards or less anyway. Hope it will last a few generationstoo.

Good excuse to tinker around with some various loads, and spend some time with my brother on a common hobby anyway.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby DonT on Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:56 am

I have not owned or shot the Mossbergs or Marlins but I have owned and shot both Remingtons and Savages.

All Savages have been 1 moa out of the box after finding the load it liked. Remingtons not so much but still good as hunting rifle with 2 to 2.5 moa.
I still own savages and just bought another.
My cartridge of choice is .308, it doesn't beat you up as bad as the 30.06 in a lighter bolt gun. Yes I know I am a weenie, real men here will tell you a 30.06 kicks like a .22 RF but I have been shooting for 40+ years now and feel the .308, properly loaded, will do 90% of what the 30.06 will (blasphemy I know) and with about a 1/3 less recoil. Just one old guys limited opinion, certainly not everyones.

Just do yourself a favor and which ever rifle you choose put a decent piece of glass on it with the power that will completment what you will be hunting, don't cheap out on the rings or bases either.. You can always keep the scope & rings if you decide to update the gun. I have never been impressed with the scopes being offered by Mfg. in "packages" that were on the low end price wise.

I know others will pick with this, and that's ok, and with todays scopes it is not as big an issue. BUT if this is going to be a hunting gun and you plan on taking any hunting trips in the future where you may not have immediate access to equipment you might want to see what is available with iron sites that you can hang a scope on. This way you have a backup if the scope fails, the gun falls out of a treestand or the scope gets knocked out of adjustment. Might save a "waited for a lifetime" hunting trip.. Again just a thought...

Like I said just one persons opinion...

DonT
DonT
DonT

Postby rugersol on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:54 am

EAJuggalo wrote:Sitting on top I've got a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50 scope. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/de ... ber=746570

This scope is one of the finest sub-$500 scopes I've ever seen ... jest bought 'nother a couple weeks ago! Image

Unfortunately, the sale (was 'bout $110) jest ended May 31st ... but if ya can wait, it'll probly go back to that July 'er August 1st. Someone said, last nite, that the mil-dot version is still on-sale, FWIW.

Also, FWIW, I've personally sold/traded some nice bolt-actions for not much more than $300. I'd post a WTB!

Also, FWIW, I've seen Dick's offer the Marlin 336 .30-30 for the low $3xx's ... possibly the most underrated rifle available today, IMO. Image
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:39 am

I was on the same evaluation quest a few months ago and went totally off the wall and ended up with an AR-15 based varmint rifle...

However, based on my own research and handling all of the rifles in question I'd go with the Marlin X7 (XL7 long action for the 30-06 based cartridges or XS7 for the short action 308 based cartridges) given the choice of the 3 - they pack a lot of value into the price while it seems like the Savage Edge/Axis and Remington 770 are "cheap" guns skating on the well earned reputations of their well known older brothers in the 10/11 and 700 series respectively.

You might also want to look at the Stevens 200, it's basically the Savage model 10 (and compatible with all of the same aftermarket options) without the accutrigger and, in my opinion, a much more compelling option than the Axis-Edge or Rem 770 in a new bolt action rifle vs the Marlin X7 series. They are about the same price and I don't think you could go wrong with either at this price point - the Marlin gives you more bang for the buck up front but the Stevens probably has longer legs if you're planning to add upgrades later (a stock or trigger in particular). Buy the Marlin to shoot as-is or the Stevens if you like to tinker/upgrade. :)

Good luck shopping and enjoy your new rifle when you get it!
Last edited by yuppiejr on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yuppiejr

Postby EJSG19 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:33 am

its too bad the Marlin x7 isn't offered in .223 would have liked to try it out, but needed to stay with .223 caliber this time.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby yuppiejr on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Correction to my earlier post, the Stevens 200 is the model I was thinking of - it's available in short (.223, 22-250, 243, 308) and long (270, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag) actions and seems to retail for around $300-350 (often in a kit with a Bushnell scope).

I haven't seen many of them locally, and NONE in .223 (the chamber is safe for 5.56 NATO as well prior conversation with Savage customer support)... but Gander Mountain, Fleet Farm and most of the local gun shops that sell Savage will generally special order exactly the configuration you want. If you want to get a feel for what the rifle looks/functions a standard Savage Model 11 with a standard (not bull) barrel and synthetic stock should have basically identical ergonomics and function.
yuppiejr

Next

Return to Long Guns