Tagua 1911 holster review

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Tagua 1911 holster review

Postby rukwikenuf on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:19 pm

for a quick and dirty review, here goes:
the leather work on this is VERY nice. it is doubled up leather, so it's nice and thick, yet mine does not have a reinforced top (not any more reinforced than two pieces of leather is). this one has a thumb break, and loops to belt it on. OWB style.

the stitching on this holster is actually pretty nice. the stain/dye is black and smooth, as if the leather maker in Paraguay gave it a good solid buffing before (or between) coats.

two pieces of leather

the slide on my Sig is really carving its space out on the inside, not sure if that's good or bad, but i don't mind

here's some more pics

and some gratuitous pics of my Sig

now, i'd say that this is a decent setup, but i have one MAJOR complaint: something about the thumb break is causing my gun to sometimes go from cocked and locked to cocked and UNlocked. i keep checking it, to see if i can figure out what is causing it. i'll keep you posted
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Re: Tagua 1911 holster review

Postby rugersol on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:18 pm

rukwikenuf wrote:Image
something about the thumb break is causing my gun to sometimes go from cocked and locked to cocked and UNlocked

The snap looks like it's right on top of the thumb-safety!

I'd guess if ya jest nudge it a bit, it goes off-safe?!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby hammAR on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:24 pm

:doh:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby rukwikenuf on Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:52 am

Yeah, I think it'd be fine with a standard safety, but the extended one grabs. Live and learn
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby rugersol on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 am

FWIW, fer that particular holster, with the machine boning into the trigger-guard, I think the thumb-break is quite superfluous ... wouldn't take much to cut it off, and refinish the edge!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby 1911fan on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:02 am

how is the dye? I had a Mexican holster in black that leeched dye into my clothes when I got sweaty.
1911fan

Postby rukwikenuf on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:23 am

Rugersol, I'm thinking I'll do that. The holster holds it nicely with the thunb break unsnapped anyways

1911fan, I've had the holster for a few weeks now and it has not bled any dye. Yet...

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby monschman on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:22 am

I carry daily in one of two tagua holsters, my opinion, nothing better for $30 out there, heck nothing better out there for twice that. Get rid of that thumbstrap, with a proper holster and belt combination its absolutely unnecessary.
monschman

Postby Angel Eyes on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:28 am

I have the same holster for almost the same gun. I have a Sig Carry 1911 with a 4.25 inch BBL.
I had no problems with the snap flicking off the safety. It looks as if it will get in the way but it doesn't.
I still check with my finger every once in a while to make sure the safety is still on anyway.
They are nice sturdy holsters and hug the hip nice. Im probably gonna switch to a Kydex holster made by Armodillo any way.
I like the way Kydex wraps around your hip, the quick draw, and the idea of no friction due to rubbing because of kydex's perfect snug fit.
No noise either ! They aso don't shrink or hold moisture and you could wash them with water if needed.
Yes they are harder and take some getting used to, but they way you get used to carring a leather holster is the same way you get used to carring kydex.
Except for revolvers, I think kydex will eventually outsell everything else.
People who are against guns will never have true freedom !
Angel Eyes

Postby rukwikenuf on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Angel Eyes wrote:I have the same holster for almost the same gun. I have a Sig Carry 1911 with a 4.25 inch BBL.
I had no problems with the snap flicking off the safety. It looks as if it will get in the way but it doesn't.
I still check with my finger every once in a while to make sure the safety is still on anyway.

yeah, i started double checking my safety since writing. haven't had an issue yet. also, i never cut the thumb break off (i really like the added retention of that thumb break)

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Return to Accessories