6.5 BRM?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

6.5 BRM?

Postby promod1385 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:02 am

Anyone mess around with the EABCO 6.5BRM?

Couple of guys in my deer camp bought pistols chambered in this round last year. I am interested in one as well and plan on stopping by EABCO this week on my way to deer camp and fondle one a bit. Wanted to reach out to all the reloading goons here on MN Guntalk and see if anyone has any experience with this cartridge.
promod1385

Re: 6.5 BRM?

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Well, you have officially stumped the reloading troll under the bridge. Never heard of this round before. (!!) A quick Google reveals it to be a proprietary round of a small company, which could mean that if the company goes belly up, you could be screwed. I have trouble believing this round can do anything that the mainstream 6.5 Creedmore can't. In addition, they seem to make light of the fact that the runout of the case and the loaded round is critical, which means that you better have all the expertise and equipment necessary to load these rounds with less than 1 mil runout. If you don't know exactly what I'm talking about and all the steps and pitfalls involved, then you are already DQ'ed. You'll need a Redding bushing competition resizing die, and Redding bushing competition seating die, and I'm not even sure Redding makes dies for this caliber. Plus the RCBS runout gauge, and unless the brass is dead perfect formed, you may have to neck turn the cases too.

The other thing that I find suspicious is that they claim that seating depth is not a real issue, and just stuff the bullet down enough to touch the powder. Ummm, so why do all benchrest shooters know EXACTLY how many mils it is from the ogive of the bullet they are shooting to the lands of the rifle?? I call BS on this one. You ALWAYS should know how much room the bullet has to accelerate before it hits the lands. The difference between a bullet seated 10 mils back and one jammed in the lands with a hot load could be a sizeable piece of your face.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby shooter115 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:11 pm

Hey Newt. I've been around Mr. Brown's rifles and pistols for years and they are fantastic pieces of hardware, I would say their the nicest falling block's I've ever shot. While I don't own one of them(yet) I have shot several and they are top notch. I've never loaded for it, but I do know that the brass is easily formed from 30-30 cases. They use a rimmed case due to the ejector design on the falling block actions. So ne need to worry about not being able to find brass. As far as I know, there is no reason run-out would be any more of an issue on these than any other cartridge using long for caliber bullets requiring a lot of freebore. You need to watch it on any round of this type, including 6BR (my favorite).You do not need to turn necks for it.

I've personally shot the 6.5BRM in pistol and rifle. The cartidge itself is very accurate and incredibly soft shooting for what it is and the BF pistols are really nice. There's a reason they've been a force to be reckoned with for years in long range metallic silhouette competition. I've never talked to anyone who regretted buying one and you almost never see a used one for sale. If you have any concerns I'm sure you could call and talk to Eben and he could put you at ease.
shooter115

Postby promod1385 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Thanks for the input fellas. I don't have the necessary gear to measure run out as Sam mentioned. It is however on sale: http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/310955 ... aging-tool

Sam, where did you read that about seating depth?

I am planning on picking there brain a bit in regards to making my own brass. I see they sell sizing and seating dies, i dont however see the necessary dies to form your own brass. I did however find an article about some gents in PA building there own brass from 30-30.

I shot my buddies BF pistol last year and its very nice! The trigger is super crisp and was very much to my liking! I dont foresee an EABCO pistol in my future, more likely to pick up an Encore and then a 6.5brm barrel for it.
promod1385

Postby shooter115 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:30 pm

I guess in my book the main reason I would go for the 6.5BRM cartridge is to get the BF action. I love the triggers and actions on those guns. Since you are going with an Encore, as a handloader I would be more inclined to go with the 6.5x47 Lapua or 6.5 Creedmoore. I'm not really sure how either perform out of a pistol length barrel though.
shooter115

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:26 am

From the 6.5 BRM website:

"Hand Loading Technique - Cases were full length sized with the die adjusted just far enough to bump the shoulder of the case. Primed with a Lee Auto-Prime. Powder charges were thrown with a Redding powder measure - Each was also weighed. Bullets were seated as far out as possible. Uhh, could you provide an OAL to tell us how far out with the reccomended bullets is "possible"?? No need to seat close to rifling, just to leave enough room for the maximum powder charge to reach the bottom of the bullet."[/size]

So they're saying that the maximum powder charge should extend to the bottom of the bullet (that is good advice), but they are ASSuming that a maximum powder charge will not get you in trouble with the bullet engaging the lands. So how far out are those lands anyway with the reccomended bullets??

Oh, and as far as guys out there making their own brass from 30-30 cases, you should read the fine print to find out that the maximum SAAMI pressure for a 30-30 is ONLY 38,000 PSI, and the 30-30 case is noted for having thin case walls. 6.5 Creedmoor ammo goes about 60,000 PSI, and I really doubt that the 6.5 BRM is limited to 38,000 PSI. Also I see NO PRESSURE DATA WHATSOEVER on the 6.5 BRM site. That's a HUGE warning sign right there!! Maybe with 6.5 BRM cases you can do this, but people out there using old "dirty girty" cases for a modern high pressure round are really asking for it!!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Dick Unger on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:43 am

I don't have one of these, but I'm looking. Glad to hear about the trigger compared to Encore. I think this company wants accuracy, and to get it, they believe in limiting the pressure. If you talk to them, or even read the articles, they'll tell you it's easy to increase velocity to flaten the curve, the art of accuracy is to back off enough to get the bullet to sail along with out a lot of wobble.

So, I'd bet the pressure is right if you follow their instructions. They'll tell you that if you want to hot rod it's their experience that accuracy suffers. It's a small company, they sell direct and are not trying to do mass market stuff or sell you the basis of a hot rod. I've talked to them, and learned a lot that has worked out for me. But I've never bought one of their guns, yet.

Go here if you want to buy it, and have accuracy out of the box, not if you want to build your own.
Dick Unger

Postby promod1385 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:53 am

I go through this every year during deer season! I long for a deer pistol in a rifle caliber of some variety. The Creedmoor looks like a great round too and the brass/dies are much more readily available. The more I kick it around from a cost stand point I should probably just get an Encore in .243 and be done with it. I already have a bit of experience with this caliber and I am sure someone in my family has a set of .243 dies I can pick up for cheap (or free!).

I see your point Sam about the pressures. My gpa started letting me help reload around 11-12 years old and I recall building some hot 30-30 loads as a young man (without adult supervision). The first one required a large forecept to remove a tight casing from the gun, the second required a trip to the gun smith! It tough growing up in small town SD where the only gun smith in the county is a buddy of your dads. Long story short I delivered the gun and he called my Dad to pick it up. It was an interesting conversation explaining to the old man why his beloved Win 94 needed a tune up to remove a stuck case.
promod1385

Postby shooter115 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:42 am

Hard the beat the good ol' .243. This was my first centerfire rifle caliber and what I cut my teeth on reloading with.

As far as using a pistol for deer hunting, I've had an evil little voice in my head for a while telling me to build an AR pistol in 6.5 Grendel or .300 Blackout. :twisted:
shooter115

Postby rr1220 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:49 pm

i have been loading for this castridge for over a year now,just about as long as i have been reloading and while the learning curve is steep as long as caution and patience prevail i have found no major problems in loading or forming my own cases.i am currently loading my fireformed cases for the 4th time with no brass stretch from the web area.i used ea brown brass the first year and found case life too short(necks split on 3rd loading).i have not done a seating ladder test yet(near future) but have good results at with a 15" barrel on a contender frame shooting imhsa matches.shoots better than i can shoot it current load is 31.5gr Rl15,cci 200,140gr amax coal 2.970 with FF case trimmed to 2.015 ;)
rr1220

Return to Ammunition & Reloading