SOTA Arms Uppers?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

SOTA Arms Uppers?

Postby theskalickys on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Has anyone had any experience working with these guys? State of the Art (SOTA) Arms...
I have seen good reviews on out of state boards, people swear by them. I have emailed and tried to call this week with no response on email and there voice-mail box is full, so no leaving voice-mails. They are located somewhere 1 mile from 35 north of the cities? so somewhere? They say on their website they are opening a storefront soon and then they will post an exact location. As far as I can tell their prices include shipping and are "internet price." If you can pick them up for cheaper at the store I would totally try one out, but have not been able to get a hold of anyone.

If you know where they are at maybe they just have people stop by, but I cannot find a location at all..
theskalickys

Re: SOTA Arms Uppers?

Postby theskalickys on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:42 pm

no one? I finally called them and was able to leave a message with my contact info.. hopefully they get back to me..
theskalickys

Postby engnerdan on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:26 am

They had a table at the last MWCA show a couple weekends ago. The prices seem very good. The parts I handled seemed to be good quality. Not the best thing I have ever had my hands on but seemed to be plenty good. I have seen worse looking parts on DPMS guns. I was looking at picking up some parts for putting an upper together from them.

-Dan
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby FJ540 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:58 am

I'm curious what the barrels are made out of. The prices are good, that's for sure.
FJ540

Postby theskalickys on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:15 pm

they still have not replied via email or phone... I may just order one.

I'm curious what the barrels are made out of. The prices are good, that's for sure.

I was curious too, according to another forum, where someone ordered an upper they said theirs came with a Wilson arms barrel. Which according to Rock River Arms-

Every Rock River Arms rifle features a 1:9" (1:8" in the DCM competition rifle) button rifled barrel made by Wilson Arms. All barrels are made from high grade chrome-moly steel.
theskalickys

Postby theskalickys on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:07 pm

Just called back.. and someone answered... yes I am annoying (persistent)

They guy was very nice on the phone, you can add $60 for free float quad rail installed. I asked if there was any discount for picking up and he said there was not really, maybe $5. (so I would not expect it)

Their store has not opened, but local pickup is available in North Branch, MN.. so it is very close to me..

Only thing is- without giving a more significant discount to MN people, they do free shipping so it is more expensive even for me to drive there. Plus I have to pay tax, so my dad in Wisconsin gets it for cheaper..

I may wait until their retail store opens, or persuade my dad who lives an hour away to order one.
theskalickys

Postby Anokamnman on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:46 pm

I just sent them an email. Hopefully I hear back soon. Looks to be a decent product at a pretty fair price. I would be willing to try out one of their uppers for that price.
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby solidgun on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Someone on Calguns.com was running a group buy for this and I read up on their product. Doesn't seem like anything different, but from all the reviews and the price point, that isn't too surprising.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby Anokamnman on Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:56 am

I am looking into getting the stainless steel complete upper flat top in 5.56. Seems like a decent price. just wondering how decent the barrels are. will this be decent enough for my soon, to user it for plinking? any input?
Wrap that around your overly muscled left wing and row your dinghy in counterclockwise circles as a result.
Anokamnman

Postby theskalickys on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:24 am

It sounds like none of us actually have one.. They have good reviews on other forums. If you decide to order one... please tell us how you like it.
theskalickys

Postby Anokamnman on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:16 am

Seriously considering trying one out. The wife gave me the green light. Just going to do a little more research first. If I get one... I will definitely let you know how it is.
Anokamnman

Postby Anokamnman on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:10 am

UPDATE ..... I just got a call back from SOTA Arms. Talked to the guy for about 20 minutes. Very nice guy. Asked a bunch of questions. I asked if they were DPMS stripped uppers or some other company and he said no that they make their own. That they have been manufacturing parts under contract for about 4years. About 5 months ago they decided to make their own parts and assemble them for themselves. They are in the process of opening a retail store where you can come in and see all their products and buy ammo and accessories. They purchase barrel blanks and machine the contours and build the uppers complete. I asked about their lead times. He said right now they are very busy and that it would take about a week to be machined and assembled. Their price includes shipping too. I asked about getting a different free float tube on the upper. I want the quad rail. He said it would be $60 more and any custom orders would have to be placed over the phone. I asked him a bunch of other questions that I can't remember. He seemed likes good guy and I am curious about the product... So I ordered the stainless steel flat top upper with the quad rail free float barrel chambered in 5.56. I asked roughly how heavy the upper was and he said it is just over 4 pounds. So with this upper and the polymer lower I ordered from rockcreek I should have a pretty light rifle. So I am guessing should have it around march 12th or so. And the lower will be in sometime around there too. Can't wait to pin it all together and see how it goes. I will keep you all posted on the performance. I must admit... So far they have been very pleasant to deal with.
Anokamnman

Postby adoptedson on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:33 pm

How did this build end up? Been looking for info on sota arms. I'm about to do my first AR build. Would love to be able support some local folks too while I'm at it.
adoptedson

Postby wildfan1 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:40 pm

adoptedson wrote:How did this build end up? Been looking for info on sota arms. I'm about to do my first AR build. Would love to be able support some local folks too while I'm at it.

Ditto. They have nice pricing. I just finished building my first lower, and as soon as funds are replenished (should be in a week or two), I need to order an upper and get shooting. Any idea on their lead times?
wildfan1

Postby Bulldog1856 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:54 pm

I ordered an upper receiver from them a week ago since they were in stock and priced well. I haven't heard anything since my order was placed so a call is in order tomorrow I think.
Bulldog1856

Next

Return to Long Guns