10-22 target w/hammer forged bull barrel - any thoughts?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

10-22 target w/hammer forged bull barrel - any thoughts?

Postby Shipyard on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:12 pm

anyone have any experience with a 10/22 target? they got the sweetest bull barrel - hammer forged without taking the hammer marks off of the outside so it gives a really wicked spiral twist type look to 'em. kind of like one of those michelob cans that's all flat sided instead of round...

anyone own one? accuracy vs. a savage mark II or CZ 452?

got to fondle a CZ 452 trainer today too. they are SUPER elegant guns. howly smokes, i was impressed! :)
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Re: 10-22 target w/hammer forged bull barrel - any thoughts?

Postby Hmac on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:25 pm

I had one...recently sold it after building the same rifle on an old Ruger receiver and fitting it with Kidd barrel/bolt etc. I found the VLEH to be a great form factor. It is very accurate, and the stock trigger is pretty good...somewhat better than the standard Ruger 10-22 trigger. Even so, I had mine reworked.

Hmac

Postby Shipyard on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Hmac wrote:I had one...recently sold it after building the same rifle on an old Ruger receiver and fitting it with Kidd barrel/bolt etc. I found the VLEH to be a great form factor. It is very accurate, and the stock trigger is pretty good...somewhat better than the standard Ruger 10-22 trigger. Even so, I had mine reworked.
]

so... for the money, was it worth it? i realize a kidd barrel and volquartsez trigger group is going to be far superior - i'm looking at a $500 budget for gunand glass - could liek dime size at 50yds don't need a single hole at 75 i suppose :roll:
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Postby Hmac on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:16 pm

Shipyard wrote:
so... for the money, was it worth it? i realize a kidd barrel and volquartsez trigger group is going to be far superior - i'm looking at a $500 budget for gunand glass - could liek dime size at 50yds don't need a single hole at 75 i suppose :roll:

I never shot the VLEH for groups until after I had the trigger reworked by Brimstone Gunsmithing, but afterword, with the stock 16 inch barrel, it would shoot dime-sized groups from 50 yards all day long, once the right ammo was selected. For me, that ammo was Winchester SuperX 40gr HP (1280FPS). Next best ammo, for me, was CCI Standard Velocity

For me, the Ruger bull barrel target model was worth it. I can't say that the accuracy provided by the Kidd build was a completely cost-effective improvement. It was better, but not that much better.
Hmac

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:18 pm

10-22's are nasty accurate. Mine with a standard weight barrel and a trigger job did just about an inch at 50 yards. With a bull barrel and a match chamber it is down in the dime size at 50 yards. I used a Green Mountain bull but have heard the factory bull barrels are great too. You really can't go wrong with a 10-22. They are fun to build, it dosn't take any fancy tools, just an allen and a screwdriver.
Sigfan220

Postby AFTERMATH on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:21 pm

I've seen them on my line, but have yet to see a shooter who could shoot better than them...
In general with aftermarket 10/22 systems; reliability usually takes a hit - Often remedied by finding the right ammunition, proper cleaning regimen, the usual. But that can pretty much be said about any match/target gun. And whether or not it will become a burden is dependent upon your desired use of the rifle.
As far as comparison in accuracy - I've never evaluated inherent accuracy of any of these but I wouldn't suspect you be dissatisfied with any of them.
But the 10/22 would likely allow you more options as far as customizing to suit your tastes/needs.

I do well enough with a 10/22k(Wally World special) w/tech-sights.
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby mc762x54R on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:44 pm

for what its worth I am really happy with my Savage mkii bv (heavy barrel) Accuracy is superb with CCI standard velocity ammo. It shoots the regular CCI and the CCI stingers really well too.
Those bull barrel 10/22s are sweet looking guns..if I ever get another 22 rifle that one is very high on the list.
mc762x54R

Postby timwarner on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:28 pm

Shippy, I have a blued one if you want to give it a try. I think the scope is jacked up on it, so I would have to throw a new scope on and boresight it. You'd have to zero it with whatever ammo you use.
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby Hmac on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:13 pm

AFTERMATH wrote:I've seen them on my line, but have yet to see a shooter who could shoot better than them...
In general with aftermarket 10/22 systems; reliability usually takes a hit - Often remedied by finding the right ammunition, proper cleaning regimen, the usual. But that can pretty much be said about any match/target gun. And whether or not it will become a burden is dependent upon your desired use of the rifle.
As far as comparison in accuracy - I've never evaluated inherent accuracy of any of these but I wouldn't suspect you be dissatisfied with any of them.
But the 10/22 would likely allow you more options as far as customizing to suit your tastes/needs.

I do well enough with a 10/22k(Wally World special) w/tech-sights.

I've had no issues with either of my Kidd barrels. They won't chamber Stingers, but then neither will the Ruger hammer forged target barrel. I went with Kidd precisely because of their proprietary chambering. The Bentz chambering used in most other .22 target barrels will often engage the bullet in the rifling and make for occasionally unreliable ejection of live rounds. Other than that, ejection has been completely reliable with either the Kidd bolt or the reworked Ruger bolt I use in my other 10-22, both with Kidd barrels.
Hmac

Postby gunforhire on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:26 pm

I seen one at element. first buttcrush on a .22 in my life. holy cow is that barrel beautiful. I then seen the price of 549.00. I will buy a standard 10/22 and do the Kidd barrel for that kind of money
"You're not tactical enough to view that video. Practice some rolls for a while, maybe dual wield an airsoft pistol and an Xacto knife, then try again."

~some arfcom user that deserves a beer or 8 from my fridge
gunforhire

Postby SSBotanyBay on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:59 am

While those up top are much nicer than this one. Here is my wife's 10/22. I got her this one to introduce her to shooting and it fit the bill perfectly. By my research it is a kit that more or less bolts onto the 10/22 receiver. I think the stock is a Fajen and the .920 is a Adams and Bennett. I don't think that the barrel fits into the "hammer forged" category though. She has only run CCI Stingers through it and is able to shoot quarter size groups @ 50 yds. without a problem. By my estimation a more experienced shooter with better shot control would have no problem shooting dime sized groups @ 50 yards.
Attachments
10-22.JPG
"There is nothing more uncommon than common sense."---Thomas Chalmers
SSBotanyBay

Postby SSBotanyBay on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:35 pm

I saw one of these @ Cabela's in Owatonna last night and man, was that barrel pretty. I think they had it priced at $410 or somewhere around there. On an entirely different note, I was amazed and appalled by how dirty the guns on the used rack were. The Ruger in question was absolutely filthy but it did make me think twice about whether or not it should come home with me. It ultimately didn't but my guess is that the round count was pretty darn high.
"There is nothing more uncommon than common sense."---Thomas Chalmers
SSBotanyBay

Postby Hammered Squirrel on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:01 pm

[quote="SSBotanyBay"] I was amazed and appalled by how dirty the guns on the used rack were.[/quote}

This is because they dont clean their used guns... Kinda a sketchy thing
Hammered Squirrel

Postby dtapper2 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:00 pm

Not many places clean their used guns, BTW. Scheel's generally does not and Gander Mountain and Cabelas usually does not either but it depends on the person putting the used gun on the shelf. Back on topic, I handled one of the hammer forged barrels on a 10/22 today and I am in love. The one I played with was the stainless hammer forged barrel with a wood thumb hole stock from Ruger. The gun was absolutely beautiful with the complete stainless trigger group, receiver and barrel. Too bad I am wrong handed and thumb hole stocks are the devil to me :twisted:
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
dtapper2

Postby justinvan on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:55 pm

I have an earlier model with the hammerforged barrel an love it. Yes if money is not an issue a better gun can be built but for the money I am quite happy. I think I bought mine used about 10 years ago but my memory could be wrong.(just double checked and it looks like it was made in 98 and 96 was the first year of production)
justinvan

Return to Long Guns