Wideners, German DAG .308 blue plastic ammo - $119/1k + ship

Post deals you find and organize group buys

Wideners, German DAG .308 blue plastic ammo - $119/1k + ship

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:28 pm

I purchased a case of this stuff when it was $179 shipped and just got the notification that they are blowing it out for $119 + shipping ($22 for 1k, $35 for 2k) which is a pretty big discount.

This is military training ammo that has been used by the FBI in addition to various military forces around the world (they actually make reduced weight bolts for the HK91 to run the stuff in semi auto rifles). It will push a 10 grain plastic bullet close to 4000 FPS to it's not toy ammo, though it's obviously not going to buck the wind or do well at longer range. The case is polymer with a steel base and primer - the solid polymer bullet is pre scored and separates from the case when fired. It will NOT cycle a semi-auto rifle unless you happen to have one with a bolt designed for this ammo, however if you don't mind running the bolt manually in a semi-auto it's about the cheapest way to practice short of a dedicated .22 that I can think of.

I've tried it in an M1A (manual cycling of the bolt required) and a few bolt action rifles without any issues, accuracy was in line with military ball ammo but retained groups out to 100 yards (the farthest I could test) if the wind wasn't gusty. The muzzle blast is like any other full power ball ammo but there is no recoil so it's great for extended practice sessions or training new shooters. I did find POI was different with this stuff (about and inch left and 2" high at 25 yards) so plan to adjust your zero accordingly.

I ordered 2 cases to supplement what I've got left as I expect it's going to sell out and will likely not be available on the market again... great hedge against high ammo prices down the road with 7.62 NATO surplus and commercial .308 FMJ ball firmly stuck over $0.50-$0.60 per round plus freight.... this stuff is under $0.14 each including shipping.

50 round boxes, 10 boxes to a case of 500 - each of which is sealed in plastic.

"7.62 x 51mm Training Ammunition, this is current NATO & German Army issue and the perfect round for training or practice, not to mention cost effective. Very little recoil, and very accurate up to 300 meters. PERFECT FOR INDOOR RANGES! NO LEAD, NO RECOIL, 10 GR PLASTIC BULLET FOR THE BACKSTOP.

Manufactured by Dynamit-Noble (DAG - Germany) Mid 1990's, this plastic case cartridge with an extraordinary light 10grain plastic bullet which is fired with a high initial velocity. Extremely accurate (Spot-on up to 300 meters), non-corrosive, steel base with lead free primer. NON-RELOADABLE AMMUNITION

This ammo WILL NOT CYCLE a standard semi auto rifle like the FAL, or M1A, M14, etc. You must cycle by hand after each shot. Our experience is that this ammo will not foul the gas system of your semi-auto rifle.

TEST REPORT: I fired this ammo in a D&S arms FAL. The magazine was loaded with 20 rounds with no problems. The first round was hand cycled into the chamber and fired. It was a surprise when the report was loader than expected, like a 9mm. The action did not cycle and the remaining rounds were all hand cycled. I shot 5 mags full and only occasionally did I have trouble chambering a round. All rounds extracted, but sometimes the spent round would not come out of the gun unless I tilted it. Most of the time, the round extracted and chambered with any problem. It seemed that a few got stuck during chambering and these were the last 2-3 in the mag. I think other 308s like the M1A would be easier to eject. The muzzle velocity was AMAZING. Chrono results were: 4690, 4321, 4441, 4610, 4390. 3410. 4701, 4290, 3590, 4559. It seemed that about 10% of the rounds were underpowered (if you call 3390 underpowered.) 100% fired, no duds. ACCURACY was unbelieveably good for what it is. The 10 grain bullet grouped about 2" at sixty yards with my bad eyes and iron sights shooting across a stump. Clean up was not bad, no plastic residue ANYWHERE! This stuff is a blast, literally. I haven't tried it in a scoped bolt action, but it would be fun. 4700 FPS, wow, you will have fun with this. NO RECOIL EITHER.

WARNING! THIS AMMUNITION IS NOT A TOY. IT WILL KILL YOU DEAD. DO NOT TREAT THIS AMMUNITION ANY DIFFERENTLY FROM REAL METAL BULLET AMMUNITION. IT IS NOT A BLANK! A PLASTIC PROJECTILE COMES OUT OF THE GUN AND IT WILL KILL OR DAMAGE JUST LIKE A METAL BULLET. DO NOT SHOOT PEOPLE, ANIMALS OR STUFF THINKING NO DAMAGE WILL RESULT. THIS IS SERIOUS AMMUNITION WITH A PLASTIC BULLET. "

Link:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm? ... =8699&dir=
yuppiejr

Re: Wideners, German DAG .308 blue plastic ammo - $119/1k + ship

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:45 pm

A quick range report follow-up on this stuff, there are some particulars I found in a couple of rifles I've tested this stuff with that is worth knowing.

My first outting with this ammunition was in a Ruger Gunsite Scout (model 77 action) and every round fired and extracted without a problem. Yesterday I took two different .308's to the range, a Remington 700 and a Savage model 11 and had a different experience.

The Savage would feed and extract cartridges without issue but I only got about a 50% ignition rate... using the same box/lot as the stuff that shot perfectly in the Ruger. The Remington was the worst platform for the ammo as it not only had similar ignition problems, but would NOT reliably extract once chambered and misfired, had to be removed gingerly with a cleaning rod...

All misfires showed strong primer hits and the same rifles chambered, fired and cycled surplus military ammunition with harder primers on the same range trip without problems. I have not yet tested it in an M1A but plan to on my next range trip.

If anyone was considering picking some of this stuff up and wants to test a box (packed 50 rounds each) let me know, I've got an open pack of 500 and have a few boxes I could swap or sell for $10 a pop to let you test it in your rifle before making a larger investment. If it works well in your rifle it's a great training aid but should probably be tested in any rifle you might plan to shoot it before making a larger purchase.
yuppiejr

Return to Deals and Group Buys