Debra Hilstrom: all that prevents Gun Rights Rollback

Firearms related political discussion forum

Debra Hilstrom: all that prevents Gun Rights Rollback

Postby AR on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Rep Hilstrom is the short woman in glasses between Cornish and Stanek.

OK....this is more of a question than a statement....

Tuesday March 19 seems to be the endgame / sudden death overtime superbowl field goal for important gun rights legislation that will have consequences for years.

Anyone who's read Sen Latz's bill knows that it will recreate a de facto 'May Issue' process in MN and is a steaming pile of Horse-Manure.

Can someone post to this board EXACTLY WHAT CAN BE DONE IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS BEFORE THE VOTE TO ENSURE THAT OUR RIGHTS AREN'T KICKED BACK TEN YEARS?

I assume we don't need to call email visit Rep. Debra Hilstrom...but who on that committee is on the fence?

If she tables Paymars Bill in her committee I guess we can take a deep breath....the danger I think is that SHE WILL COMPROMISE.

You may want to visit Protect Minnesota's Facebook page.....THEY CAN SMELL VICTORY.

So boys, what's the plan?

Representative Debra Hilstrom (DFL) District: 40B
* 379 State Office Building
100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55155
651-296-3709

E-mail: rep.debra.hilstrom@house.mn
Join my e-mail updates list for announcements.

Legislative Assistant: TJ Yocum 651-296-5322
Committee Assignments

Chair: Judiciary Finance and Policy

Civil Law
Commerce and Consumer Protection Finance and Policy
Public Safety Finance and Policy
Rules and Legislative Administration
Ways and Means

Biographical Information

Home: Brooklyn Center
Education: B.A., sociology, University of Minnesota; J.D., William Mitchell College of Law
Elected: 2000
Term: 7th
Family: Married

* Prefers interim mail at this address.

Activities: Served for six years on the Brooklyn Center City Council Served on the Brooklyn Center Planning Commission Advocate for the Brooklyn Center Domestic Abuse Intervention Program
Personal: Lifelong resident of her district Active in her children's activities and volunteers in their schools Past president of local swim club.
AR

Re: Debra Hilstrom: all that prevents Gun Rights Rollback

Postby BBeckwith on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:13 am

Show up Tuesday there are still one or two fence sitters. If they see the sea of maroon in the seats and halls of the Capitol it may just do the trick. Also it is not sudden death we are in the middle of the third period. Both the full Senate and the House will need to vote on these. To keep a hockey analogy going Sen. Latz just got away with an interference. He should be in the penalty box but isn't, we need to bring out our bruisers and hit Paymar's line hard.
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby AR on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:49 pm

I think the word need to get out to those who are just 'gun enthusiasts' and 'Democrats' that there is serious business afoot at the legislature.

These changes to the law were in the wings well before any mass-shootings and preserving your rights is an on-going struggle.

In terms of gun rights and permit to carry...I was kind of 'Born on Third base, thinking I hit a Triple' in that I benefited from the YEARS of

up-hill political work done by the guys at CCRN AND GOCRA who passed the MPPA.

IT TOOK THEM 15 YEARS.

This guy Latz is a Disingenuous Weasel...he even wants to take away the funding for successful permit denial appeals...

Professor Joe Olson referred to this as 'GRATUITOUS NASTINESS' and both he and Andrew Rothman pointed out that PERMIT HOLDERS PAY FOR THE LEGAL COST OF APPEALING DENIALS IN THEIR PERMIT FEE. And that this was calculated and negotiated with the Sheriffs when the MPPA of 2003 was being drafted.

We can't get lazy...the democrats need to hear the rumbling in the distance of the approach of NOVEMBER 4 2014.

PS.....anyone with YouTube skills could put together an excellent 'highlight reel' of Sen Latz behaving like an ass and getting smacked down by Julianne Ortman.
AR

Postby connsolo on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:01 pm

Who are the other members of the committee? I'll call and email...
connsolo

Postby BBeckwith on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:07 pm

Taken from a GOCRA email blast a few weeks ago.

Public Safety Committee Members:

Representative Michael Paymar (DFL) – Chairman
651-296-4199
E-mail: rep.michael.paymar@house.mn

Representative Paul Rosenthal (DFL) – Vice Chairman
651-296-7803
E-mail: rep.paul.rosenthal@house.mn

Representative Tony Cornish (R) – Republican Lead
651- 296-4240
E-mail: rep.tony.cornish@house.mn

Representative Debra Hilstrom (DFL)
651-296-3709
E-mail: rep.debra.hilstrom@house.mn

Representative Brian Johnson (R)
651-296-4346
E-mail: rep.brian.johnson@house.mn

Representative Tim Kelly (R)
651-296-8635
E-mail: rep.tim.kelly@house.mn

Representative Andrea Kieffer (R)
651-296- 1147
E-mail: rep.andrea.kieffer@house.mn

Representative John Lesch (DFL)
651-296-4224
E-mail: rep.john.lesch@house.mn

Representative Kathy Lohmer (R)
651-296-4244
E-mail: rep.kathy.lohmer@house.mn

Representative Joe Mullery (DFL)
651-296-4262
E-mail: rep.joe.mullery@house.mn

Representative Jim Newberger (R)
651-296- 2451
E-mail: rep.jim.newberger@house.mn

Representative Shannon Savick (DFL)
651-296-8216
E-mail: rep.shannon.savick@house.mn

Representative Dan Schoen (DFL)
651-296-4342
E-mail: rep.dan.schoen@house.mn

Representative Steve Simon (DFL)
651-296-9889
E-mail: rep.steve.simon@house.mn

Representative Erik Simonson (DFL)
651-296-4246
E-mail: rep.erik.simonson@house.mn

Representative Linda Slocum (DFL)
651-296-7158
E-mail: rep.linda.slocum@house.mn

Representative Mark Uglem (R)
651-296-5513
E-mail: rep.mark.uglem@house.mn

Representative John Ward (DFL)
651-296-4333
E-mail: rep.john.ward@house.mn
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby 2in2out on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:07 pm

BBeckwith wrote:Taken from a GOCRA email blast a few weeks ago.

Public Safety Committee Members:

I've been wondering about whether this is the correct committee to be writing to at this point. If the House Judiciary Committee is going to hold up Paymar's bill, then isn't that who we need to write to?

I've written to the Public Safety committee members a lot, and it's not over. I just want to be sure I'm getting to teh right group of people.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby BBeckwith on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:44 pm

There is one or two fence sitters still in the Public Safety Committee that could still tip the scales. It is in no way a slam dunk to pass out of Paymar's Committee. The committee needs to see that this is more then just about the AWB and Mag bans.
BBeckwith

Postby The Verminator on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:16 am

Ok, who are the fence-sitters so we can focus on them. I don't want to waste time writing to people who already have their minds made up.
The Verminator

Postby oldhunter on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:26 pm

Rep Paymar has a delete all amendment listed. This will probably be introduced tomorrow. It would put the bill more in alignment with the Senate Bill. He will take portions of Rep Hillstroms bill in also and try an end run. Trying to appease everybody. Still will include the background checks and the toughening up the permit to carry law. It would be almost strictly up to the Police Chief or Sheriff. Without public testimony also.
oldhunter

Postby AR on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:35 pm

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41207&p=444881#p444881

link to one click method of emailing reps
AR

Postby 2in2out on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:39 pm

oldhunter wrote:Rep Paymar has a delete all amendment listed. This will probably be introduced tomorrow. It would put the bill more in alignment with the Senate Bill. He will take portions of Rep Hillstroms bill in also and try an end run. Trying to appease everybody. Still will include the background checks and the toughening up the permit to carry law. It would be almost strictly up to the Police Chief or Sheriff. Without public testimony also.

What's a delete all amendment?
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby BBeckwith on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:28 pm

2in2out wrote:
oldhunter wrote:Rep Paymar has a delete all amendment listed. This will probably be introduced tomorrow. It would put the bill more in alignment with the Senate Bill. He will take portions of Rep Hillstroms bill in also and try an end run. Trying to appease everybody. Still will include the background checks and the toughening up the permit to carry law. It would be almost strictly up to the Police Chief or Sheriff. Without public testimony also.

What's a delete all amendment?

essentially the previous text on the bill is replaced with new wording on the same bill number
BBeckwith

Postby JustPlainT on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:50 am

Keep up the pressure, but my email from Rep Hilstrom (I am in her district) informs me that she has no intent of compromise. I also know she introduced the alternative bill that Paymar wouldn't even bother hearing because he's stuck in his way or no way.

Of course, that was also last week, and who knows what's going on today. Let's hope that the promises are followed up with reality.
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

Return to Politics