Anyone seen any W296 in stock?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Anyone seen any W296 in stock?

Postby Hoot on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:33 pm

I know powder is as in demand as much as primers right now.
Has anyone seen Winchester 296 in stock anywhere within an hour of the TC Metro?

Got my primers and the weather is starting to moderate, so my thoughts are starting to drift in the direction of the projects I left off on last fall.

Thanks,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: Anyone seen any W296 in stock?

Postby FJ540 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Cabela's rogers had it yesterday IIRC. Call ahead.
FJ540

Postby Hoot on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:45 pm

FJ540 wrote:Cabela's rogers had it yesterday IIRC. Call ahead.

Super!

Thanks,

John
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:52 pm

I called and the fellow said they don't have any and they don't carry that particular powder.
I didn't know if I had to offer a bribe or not... ;)

Hoot
Hoot

Postby FJ540 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Hmmm. I know I've seen it recently though. I thought it was at cabela's. Maybe it was Ammocraft?

The gun shops and inventory are all bleeding together in my head. :(
FJ540

Postby JFettig on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Try H110 powder too, nearly identical if I'm remembering correctly.
JFettig

Postby Hoot on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:57 pm

JFettig wrote:Try H110 powder too, nearly identical if I'm remembering correctly.

Not necessarily in the caliber I'm reloading for. At least according to QL. I have 2400, Lil Gun, N110 and 1680. I've already characterized them in this caliber. I left off about to try and see if QL was right with it's predictions for W296. I have a little bit left in a bottle of it from my experiments with the 450 Bushmaster, but have gotten burned going from one lot to another with other powders, in the middle of a lengthy project. Would prefer to use the same bottle all the way through.

Just started looking and it's still a while until my concept of comfortable shooting weather arrives.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby FJ540 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:09 pm

W296 is openly admitted to being the same thing as H110 (both are made by the same company, on the same line). What's funny is that hornady has it changing loads by .1gr in the blackout data though. Not sure what to make of that other than a lot-to-lot variation.
FJ540

Postby JFettig on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:20 pm

Lots of black magic goes into every charge of powder 8-)
JFettig

Postby Hoot on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:32 pm

FJ540 wrote:W296 is openly admitted to being the same thing as H110 (both are made by the same company, on the same line). What's funny is that hornady has it changing loads by .1gr in the blackout data though. Not sure what to make of that other than a lot-to-lot variation.

As you suggest, it could simply be a CYA precaution and some powders are very similar in one caliber and for a given bullet weight, yet in another, their results diverge.

Perhaps I can add that comparison to my testing schedule. I'm always looking to learn more as an experiment evolves.

Hodgdon would tell you that IMR4227 and H4227 are from the same recipe as well. In practice they produced 200fps difference in the caliber I was experimenting with for the same charge and bullet. I'm not trying to open up a "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" debate however.

If anyone spy's a pound of W296, please pass along where.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Mauser98 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:52 pm

I am looking for the same. On my way out to Dickinson, I stopped at quite a few places, Scheels, Runnings, GM, a few small LGS's, and didn't find any. I'll check them all again on the return trip. At the terminus of my travels is Mills Shooting Center, hopefully they'll have some.

Sent from somewhere in MN, ND, WI, or even SD
Mauser98

Postby gearguy10 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:17 am

I have a can of Win 296 in my collection. How bad do you want it?
"Do you think my mind is maturing late, or simply rotted early?" - Ogden Nash
gearguy10

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:31 pm

I have to go to pickup my rifle at Ahlmans possibly next week and I think, they had some. I can't remember if it was 1 lb or the larger containers. If you want, I can pickup some for you (if they still have it) when I go to retrieve my gun. I don't have a specific day yet, but they said it would be ready next week, PM me and I can talk with you about the details.

Jim
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby jspace on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:56 pm

Have you checked Ammocraft?
jspace

Postby Hoot on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:06 pm

jspace wrote:Have you checked Ammocraft?

Yes and Wolfs Den, Gun Stop, both Cabelas and a couple of others. My list is at work.

And that's OK!

I wanted to thank everyone for your suggestions and generous offers.

I have arranged a deal to get a pound tomorrow.

This kind of helpfulness, like courtesy, respect and manners, is contagious.

I will pass along the fact that if several others are also looking for this powder, consider going in on a 4lb keg of it from the GM in Mankato. That was my fallback plan B, as they had several in stock a day or two ago. However, don't buy it if you don't need to. I'm sure there are others, eying the approaching shooting season in actual need, as I was.

Thanks again to all you gentlemen.

Hoot
Hoot

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading