Concealed carry vest. Anyone use one?

Holsters, lights, or any kind of accessory

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:32 pm

I picked up a guide gear (brand name) denim vest on clearance for only $17.00 today. Has two inside pockets designed for holding your firearm. Also has spots for spare magazines. Not too heavy and offers about the same warmth level as a jean jacket. Figured it would come in handy with cooler weather just around the corner. Both inner pockets can hold a fullsize handgun (both my T 120, and Governor fit fine). And is long enough to conceal any weapon I may be carrying on my belt. Overall I'm happy with it. The price was sure right...

Sent from a NSA phone
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby gun_fan111 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:47 am

Looks good. And much more casual that a fishing vest :)
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Re: Concealed carry vest. Anyone use one?

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:47 am

It does a fine job. Having different ways to carry comes in handy. This is one of the better "deep" concealment choices I have.
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby JustPlainT on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:17 am

I was going to come in here and not recommend carry vests because of how obvious they look.

However, this one does a pretty reasonable job of looking casual. Nice find!
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

Postby ninjedi on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:56 pm

denim vests are soo 25 years ago.
ninjedi

Postby thunderoussilence on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:04 pm

nice, have the usual photog vest lotta pockets. 5.11
thunderoussilence

Postby jdege on Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:22 pm

JustPlainT wrote:I was going to come in here and not recommend carry vests because of how obvious they look.

Sometimes, obvious is what a person is looking for. 5.11 pants and a fishing vest make a good look for those CItizens for a Safer Minnesota events.
jdege

Postby westhope on Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:44 pm

I just received this one today. It is what I have been looking for in a vest for years. It does not look uber-tactical. It looks like a working man's vest. A few pockets very well placed. Wore it tonight, wife didn't even notice it was a new vest. Exactly what I want, not to stick out. It is light weight enough for summer. It should work under a winter jacket too.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens ... 82014.aspx
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Pezhead on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:40 pm

Just stopped at Duluth trading after church and saw the vest.
I've worn 9.11 or similar. Most of the times people just assume your fishing and ask if you've caught anything. When camping people don't even notice.
Pezhead

Postby Denkee on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:08 am

Im wildly sorry that I resurrected an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future.

Just my opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it, but I would avoid using any internal gun pockets, or purchasing jackets with them as a feature.

All that I have ever tried will make the jacket sag appreciably, even with the lightweight micro .380s that weigh in the 10-13 oz. range. Not to mention poor retention and positioning of the gun in the pocket or "pocket holster".

I simply use any jacket or vest that I own as a cover garment. They will all work for IWB carry, may need a little longer (what we call "barn/chore jackets") for OWB, or consider a high-ride holster like the Sparks TK-1; obviously, a shorter slide can be concealed easier, with a shorter jacket, OWB than a full size service model.
our main choice is between "jacket you intend to wear all the time" and "jacket you will take off indoors." When it's below zero outside and 80F indoors, the parka or flight jacket has to come off, which makes it useless for concealment.

While they're not particularly fashionable in most places nowadays, the old-school "spors coat" https://secretstorages.com/best-concealed-carry-jacket/ is cut loose, normally has a single button which need not always be done up, and is generally very light weight, intended to be worn indoors or in hot weather as part of "a suit of clothes." You're supposed to wear a proper "overcoat" over a suit; those tend to be cut fairly long.

Sartorially, a sports coat is worn with a button-up shirt and no tie; a turtleneck is acceptable. Designer T-shirts are considered tacky. Sports coats are "singles" and don't have to match the pants, unlike a suit.

Of course, people might think you're a doorman or a wino if you go about wearing one, but your gun will be acceptably concealed.There are a lot of useful videos on this topic on Youtube. I'll leave one here for general information, I hope this helps someone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlSw0CJu3sw
Denkee

Postby Spike on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:20 pm

Popped into this thread expecting to see a "I'm carrying" vest but that looks good.
Spike

Return to Accessories