RG 38 special ?

Discussion of handguns

Re: RG 38 special ?

Postby sochr000 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:46 pm

Not sure about this model in particular, but this is what I found, and it's not really good.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-95667.html
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
God (From Futurama)

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography."
--Paul Rodriguez
sochr000

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:53 pm

RG revolvers from Rohm fall under the "Junk Gun" laws in Minnesota. Technically you can't legally buy one.. oh well!

A $10 gun is a $10 gun. If nothing else, save it for the next gun buy-back :mrgreen:

(and um.. stay away from shooting anything +P out of that thing)
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby DanM on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:55 pm

Found some information with Google on 'RG 38 special':

Generally uncomplimentary, but says RG made by Rohm Gmbh (hence the 'RG' ?) in Germany, then Florida after the Gun Control Act of 1968. Speculation that this could have been the brand of gun that Hinckley used against Reagan in 1981 -
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 95667.html
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:59 pm

RG translated...Rotten Gun!
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby Pat on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:07 pm

I would really ask myself why an individual would be so hasty to get rid of a gun. Ten bucks, come on. The thing has to be either stolen or maybe it was even used in a violent crime.

Food for thought...
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Magnum Mikie on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:17 am

I guess if it were me and the serial # was still intact, I'd bring it to the nearest cop shop and tell them I found it up north while hunting. If they run a check and it comes back clean, I see no reason the LEO wouldn't let you take claim to it.

Otherwise, you could always take it fishing with you and use it as a ropeless anker in about 60 feet of water ;)
Magnum Mikie

Postby Pat Cannon on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:15 pm

A friend of mine has an RG revolver his dad brought home fro Germany. We shot it; it's not pretty but it basically works. I looked them up on the Web and saw a lot of "it's crap", but I think it's kinda like the stigma on Hi-Points, that is, people who spent a lot of money on their gun don't want a cheap gun to be any good.

Oh, and IMHO any Safariland speedloader's not a POS either, unless it's all beat up or something. If it's the same as fits the GP100 I might do you the favor of disposing of it at no charge. :)
Pat Cannon

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:16 pm

SAM wrote:
Pat wrote:I would really ask myself why an individual would be so hasty to get rid of a gun. Ten bucks, come on. The thing has to be either stolen or maybe it was even used in a violent crime.

Food for thought...

The firearm is only worth $10.00, that's why. The check has already been done and it's clean. This guy would have sold me his wife for ten bucks just to get another drink. :shock: :shock: I DO have my limits!!! AND---WTF, Nobody wants to know if I got a bear ???? :o

Hey SAM..... Did you get a bear?
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:51 pm

SAM wrote:I'm not saying!! :D

So the answer is "no" then? :twisted:
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Pat on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:23 pm

SAM wrote:Ya got me. No bear, but I actually had two over the four days that I could have touched. Neither was much more than 200 lbs. and they have to be bigger than me to die. Next year they should be bigger than me. I can wait. :D

You're a GOOD hunter. ;)
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Veldy on Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:56 am

SAM wrote:I was bear hunting up north for four days and in my travels ran into an indian fellow who apparently needed money for more drinks. He asked if I was interested in a .38 pistol. Of course, I said, YUP!!! I bought an RG Model 40 - 38 special from this fine gentleman for $10.00. When I got home and could not really find anything about them on the internet I thought I would turn here-to the FORUM. I have fired the gun. It is accurate. It is FUN to shoot. It holds SIX rounds. It has cute little plastic grip panels. Oh yeh, I got a nearly full box of ammo and a leather holster and a safariland plastic POS speedloader with the gun. So, does anyone else have one of these fine works of craftsmanship ? :)

Great deal ... but I would seriously wonder if you purchased stolen property. Just a thought.
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first and last month in advance.
Veldy

Postby hardhead12 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:11 pm

Yes I bought one today at a gun show. I looked it up on the internet and found a lot of complaints about RG in general. My only dissapointment was that it was dirty. I cleaned it up and took it to the range. I fired well! There was nothing wrong with it that a little tightening and oil did not fix. I am pleased with it.
Oldkicker :D
hardhead12

Postby Rodentman on Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:28 am

Back in the 70's when I lived in AZ we sold them at the Woolco store. The RG's were considered "low end" and the Taurus brand we sold was considered "high end." That was as high end as we got. One guy wanted to return an RG and we had to tell him no returns. He wasn't happy. I honestly cannot remember what we sold them for back then.
Rodentman

Return to Handguns