Cops in schools

Gun related chat that doesn't fit in another forum

Cops in schools

Postby Scratch on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:28 am

I know this is a MN board, but I just heard some good news and wanted to share. Across the river in Hudson, the local PD is going to set up a 24/7 "satellite office" inside the Hudson prairie Elementary/Hudson Middle School building.

It's a win win for everyone since now the police has two locations to write reports, do departmental stuff, and be spread out more around the town, so response time will be faster for other calls. Plus now there will be a police presence at the school. This has been voted unanimously by the town of Hudson and the school board.

As a parent of two middle schoolers, I'm very happy for this, and my only hope is that in the future, they somehow set up something at the high school where I think the need is even greater.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Cops in schools

Postby xd ED on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:53 am

While I might appreciate a parent's approval of this plan, were I a uniformed LEO (and I am not),who got stationed in a school, it wouldn't be a win, as I'd be the guy with the 'shoot-me-first' sign on my back, if/ when the fears that put me there ever materialized.
The real 'win' will be armed and trained teachers, far more versatile, and anonymous.

On the plus side, your school district at least is looking at what's now an obvious threat.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Scratch on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:59 am

According to the video I've seen from the chief of police, they're going to station four officers there. I would think that multiple officers would be a pretty big deterrent for anybody up to no good.
Scratch

Postby gunsmith on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:08 am

xd ED wrote:While I might appreciate a parent's approval of this plan, were I a uniformed LEO (and I am not),who got stationed in a school, it wouldn't be a win, as I'd be the guy with the 'shoot-me-first' sign on my back, if/ when the fears that put me there ever materialized.
The real 'win' will be armed and trained teachers, far more versatile, and anonymous.

On the plus side, your school district at least is looking at what's now an obvious threat.

You may find volunteers for this assignment. :)
gunsmith

Postby xd ED on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:10 am

Scratch wrote:According to the video I've seen from the chief of police, they're going to station four officers there. I would think that multiple officers would be a pretty big deterrent for anybody up to no good.

I agree. Much better than the one lone officer in a known location I had imagined.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xd ED on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:18 am

gunsmith wrote:
xd ED wrote:While I might appreciate a parent's approval of this plan, were I a uniformed LEO (and I am not),who got stationed in a school, it wouldn't be a win, as I'd be the guy with the 'shoot-me-first' sign on my back, if/ when the fears that put me there ever materialized.

You may find volunteers for this assignment. :)

It would be simply a matter of organizing a program to put armed, and trained people in schools.
I have no doubt that NRA instructors, arms makers, ammunition manufactures, and gun ranges would donate/ volunteer time, materials, and services to specifically train retired LEO, military, and active teachers. Willing teachers get a sidearm, ammo, and preferential treatment at gun ranges for volunteering.
A big PR win for the 2A, and no cost to the schools.

Given my age, I'm not familiar with anyone currently teaching, but I was fortunate enough to have a fair number of WWII vets as teachers who were more than up to this task.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:59 am

Scratch wrote:I know this is a MN board, but I just heard some good news and wanted to share. Across the river in Hudson, the local PD is going to set up a 24/7 "satellite office" inside the Hudson prairie Elementary/Hudson Middle School building.

It's a win win for everyone since now the police has two locations to write reports, do departmental stuff, and be spread out more around the town, so response time will be faster for other calls. Plus now there will be a police presence at the school. This has been voted unanimously by the town of Hudson and the school board.

As a parent of two middle schoolers, I'm very happy for this, and my only hope is that in the future, they somehow set up something at the high school where I think the need is even greater.

I forget the name of the city - but this has been tried elsewhere with great success. Great to see other cities try it. Helps to develop a great rapport with the children. In northern Wisconsin, sheriff deputies roam the schools. My children made good friends with a deputy that way, I consider him a friend also.

Unlike schools around here where superintendents want police out of uniform with no gun displayed. What a crock ....... !!!
OldmanFCSA

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Well, there will be no Sandy Hooks in St. Croix County!! That's actually very comforting. And to bring out the statistic that NOBODY wants to hear, there has been only ONE school massacre in Israel since 1974. if you compare the number of potential shooters in Israel (the majority of the Muslim Pally refugees, who would dearly love to take out a Jewish school and get 72 virgins in Paradise) versus the US, with its isolated Adam Lanzas, who desperately crave media attention and recognition that they will otherwise never have, the disjoint between the US and Israel is many, many orders of magnitude different. The difference of course, is having schools that are ALL armed and thus not helpless victim zones, rather than the other way around.

Plus the other benefit is that the kids get to grow up knowing the police as their friends and the nice guys from age 5 or 6 onwards, which I'm sure makes a hell of a difference later.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Scratch on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:44 pm

Yes, the only bad thing I can see about this entire situation, is that it hasn't happened everywhere, and a long time ago.
Scratch

Postby bensdad on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:35 pm

It would be simply a matter of organizing a program to put armed, and trained people in schools.

OR we could recognize their 2A rights and let everyone carry regardless.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby xd ED on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:49 pm

True.
But we must think of the childrens.

And some specific 'active-shooter -in -a -school' training would make the armed folks more effective.
Again:
It's for the children.

ETA: the word 'training'
Last edited by xd ED on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Sietch on Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:The difference of course, is having schools that are ALL armed and thus not helpless victim zones, rather than the other way around.
To be fair, most schools in Israel also have entry control systems like what we're used to seeing on county correctional facilities here. But it would be a good start. And there's surely some cost savings in letting staff take part in their own security.
Tony Martin. It could happen to us.
Sietch

Postby farmerj on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:11 pm

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0119.htm

one report about israel school security....
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby loose on Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:43 pm

In the event something does happen at least more kids will be hit by cops bullets then the perpetrators. :(
loose

Postby benny on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:51 am

Although I agree with school security the addition of several uniformed LE's at any school is going to force cities to either hire more LE's or take them off the streets to cover the schools. I think trained teaches or staff would be a better financially for the school districts as they will have to pay for those LE's to be there.

On a side note most of the schools here in the Anoka area already have LE officers, but their limited to enforcing crimes the students commit rather than an intruder.
benny

Next

Return to General Gun Chat