Awesome deal

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Awesome deal

Postby Belgiboy on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:29 am

Scored a great deal today. Near mint condition old school varmint rifle. Ruger M77 Varmint rifle in 220 Swift with red butt pad and tang safety. Included is the equally old school Redfield 6-18x44.The bore and throat look mint. I also managed to secure 210 pcs of winchester once fired nickel plated brass. John from the Gun Stop (the not so skinny one) came through for me big time with the brass since 220 Swift brass is all but impossible to find. He called around and got these for me within a day of me asking… It's nothing but fair that the good things about this particular John get mentioned too. All this for under $550. Today is a good day.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Re: Awesome deal

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:35 pm

Purty!
Pat Cannon

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Wonderful firearm. As a note, I recently saw some 220 Swift brass for sale. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the exact store. It was at one of these three, Scheels in St. Cloud, Cabelas in Rogers, or Fleet Farm in Lakeville. If you need more, I would suggest calling these. I'm sorry I can't remember the store. :(
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby LePetomane on Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:02 am

I'm not familiar with that particular caliber but the Ruger Hawkeye is a very nice rifle. I have one in a .270 Win. and use it a lot. Congratulations on a nice find. Enjoy your new rifle.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Rodentman on Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:13 am

It looks great!
Rodentman

Postby justinvan on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:35 am

Belgiboy wrote:Image

Scored a great deal today. Near mint condition old school varmint rifle. Ruger M77 Varmint rifle in 220 Swift with red butt pad and tang safety. Included is the equally old school Redfield 6-18x44.The bore and throat look mint. I also managed to secure 210 pcs of winchester once fired nickel plated brass. John from the Gun Stop (the not so skinny one) came through for me big time with the brass since 220 Swift brass is all but impossible to find. He called around and got these for me within a day of me asking… It's nothing but fair that the good things about this particular John get mentioned too. All this for under $550. Today is a good day.

I had that rifle in my hands to buy it and put it back on shelf... not sure why. I have been thinking about it since Monday, guess I can stop. Nice gun.
justinvan

Postby EJSG19 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:27 am

Nice! Hope to see it popping p dogs soon!
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:09 am

I have a synthetic stock if you want to save the wood on that one.
Offer a reasonable price and its yours if you come get it.
Fits my Ruger 243WIN round top - check for fit.
I have an identical rifle in 243WIN. Love it - shoots great - but bigger scope also.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Belgiboy on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:31 pm

justinvan wrote:I had that rifle in my hands to buy it and put it back on shelf... not sure why. I have been thinking about it since Monday, guess I can stop. Nice gun.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I knew that I had to move fast on this one. It was on the wall in Arnzen Arms and according to Mike it came from an estate in Arizona. Some old timer bought up a bunch of hunting guns in the early 80s and stored them. There's an equally well preserved 30-06 and a drop dead gorgeous 7mm Weatherby Mag (a bit more expensive).

I've been educating myself on 220 swift and 22-250 rifles as of late. I didn't know much about the Rugers but I quickly found out on the interwebs that the models with the red butt pad and the tang safety were the desirable ones. I was just told that if the rifle is from 1975 or older, the barrel is a Wilson or a Douglas... There have been some issues reported about the barrels not being free floated and/or warped stocks. I'm waiting till I have a full day off to take it apart and check it all out.

OldmanFCSA: I may take you up on that offer

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

Belgiboy

Postby msnden on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:48 pm

Belgiboy wrote:
justinvan wrote:I had that rifle in my hands to buy it and put it back on shelf... not sure why. I have been thinking about it since Monday, guess I can stop. Nice gun.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I knew that I had to move fast on this one. It was on the wall in Arnzen Arms and according to Mike it came from an estate in Arizona. Some old timer bought up a bunch of hunting guns in the early 80s and stored them. There's an equally well preserved 30-06 and a drop dead gorgeous 7mm Weatherby Mag (a bit more expensive).

I've been educating myself on 220 swift and 22-250 rifles as of late. I didn't know much about the Rugers but I quickly found out on the interwebs that the models with the red butt pad and the tang safety were the desirable ones. I was just told that if the rifle is from 1975 or older, the barrel is a Wilson or a Douglas... There have been some issues reported about the barrels not being free floated and/or warped stocks. I'm waiting till I have a full day off to take it apart and check it all out.

OldmanFCSA: I may take you up on that offer

Thanks for the education, I have one that I purchased in the mid 70's, (30/06) it is in the safe I haven't looked at it in years, your post has "Tweaked" my curiosity, I will have to dig it out. I do remember mine as having a short barrel, & very light weight, I remember it being very accurate!! , I'll post a pic. if anyone is interested. Beautiful gun, congrats on the buy!!!
msnden

Postby Belgiboy on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:28 pm

EJSG19 wrote:Nice! Hope to see it popping p dogs soon!

I'm thinking 50 gr V-max at 4000 fps. Imagine what that does to a turkey vulture.

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

Belgiboy

Postby EJSG19 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:34 pm

Belgiboy wrote:
EJSG19 wrote:Nice! Hope to see it popping p dogs soon!

I'm thinking 50 gr V-max at 4000 fps. Imagine what that does to a turkey vulture.

Once we figure out that magic elevation estimate it'll be vulture mist!
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby Belgiboy on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:36 pm

msnden wrote:
Thanks for the education, I have one that I purchased in the mid 70's, (30/06) it is in the safe I haven't looked at it in years, your post has "Tweaked" my curiosity, I will have to dig it out. I do remember mine as having a short barrel, & very light weight, I remember it being very accurate!! , I'll post a pic. if anyone is interested. Beautiful gun, congrats on the buy!!!

Pics of guns, nobody likes that here. Of course dude, post'em up!

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

Belgiboy

Postby msnden on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:09 pm

![/quote]
Pics of guns, nobody likes that here. Of course dude, post'em up![/quote]

Well I dug it out, here are a couple of pictures, M77 (Ithought it was called a carbine), 30/06--19 1/4" barrel,---40 1/4" overall--Burris 2x7 scope, (I didn't weight it)
anyone know where to find the mfg date? I purchased it used, (mid to late 80's ?? I was wrong about the 70's)) hasn't been shot in years, but holding up well.

msnden

Postby ex-LT on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:10 am

msnden wrote:!

Pics of guns, nobody likes that here. Of course dude, post'em up![/quote]

Well I dug it out, here are a couple of pictures, M77 (Ithought it was called a carbine), 30/06--19 1/4" barrel,---40 1/4" overall--Burris 2x7 scope, (I didn't weight it)
anyone know where to find the mfg date? I purchased it used, (mid to late 80's ?? I was wrong about the 70's)) hasn't been shot in years, but holding up well.

Image[/quote]
Ruger M77 Serial Number History

PS: Nice looking gun. If it was a .308 or a 7mm-08, I'd consider asking you if you wanted to sell it.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Next

Return to Long Guns