Hi. Looking for longer rifle range

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

Postby cgk on Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:38 pm

New to the TC, and overwhelmed by the long list of ranges. Where should I look for a range longer than 100 yards with benches and also lane for prone, sitting and standing? I'm in downtown Mpls.

Chris
NRA Rifle Instructor and RSO
Chris
NRA certified instructor and range safety officer
cgk

Re: Hi. Looking for longer rifle range

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:45 pm

Ranges that come to mind:
Grrc
Forest lake
Oakdale
Mn h&h
Rainbow sportsmans

It just depends on how far you want to drive, how long you want to wait and how much you want to spend. Rainbow is the cheapest at around $40 per year but is probably the longest drive. But you have to "shut down" the range to shoot past 100. Most days there are too many people to do this. Weekdays early are your best bet. Also keep on mind this range is prone to anual flooding so you may want a backup.

I'm sure that there are more ranges these are just the ones that popped into my head.
Sigfan220

Postby xd ED on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:27 am

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/shooting_ranges/index.html
Use the map to identify various counties, then go to the drop down list of counties

http://wheretoshoot.org/index2.cfm
Search by state, or distance from a zip code.

All the outdoor ranges I am familiar with are at least 100 yrds.
If you have questions about a specific range, someone hereabout should be able to provide an answer.

I'm not familiar with too much west of the metro, but for a place I think you could immediately join, and shoot a variety of disciplines, including rifle to 400, Forest Lake might be a good choice.
There are others that can shoot longer; North Star Red Wing(600), Gopher in Harris(1k), but I can't speak to current waiting lists.
Good Luck.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Grayskies on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:00 am

Welcome :)
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby MJY65 on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:39 pm

Good timing. I was just thinking about the same thing. It's too bad that in a state with so much flat open land, we have so few opportunities to shoot longer distances. The places I've looked into either have very long waiting lists or some pretty restrictive rules.

Does anyone know anything about the West Branch range by Princeton? I've heard that they have a longer range set up. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get my calls returned from the contact number despite leaving 4 messages over the past month.
MJY65

Postby Grayskies on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:48 pm

I am disapointed too as I have a nice soped rifle now, but I have been told most you can see in our forests is 50 yards or so... Not that I actually know. I seem to have this thing about bears, deer parasites and freezing.
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby cgk on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Very helpful, thanks. Can you provide some intelligence on The Minnetonka Game & Fish Club and The Minneapolis Rifle Club? MG&FC has membership info on the web site, but MRC is more mysterious.

GRRC also looks very interesting--1,000 yards is long distance in my book, having never shot anything like that distance. Is it possible to shoot there at the long distances casually, or only when they have organized events? I do not understand the layout of the range from the aerial photo on the web site and how it operates.
Chris
NRA certified instructor and range safety officer
cgk

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:13 pm

cgk wrote:Very helpful, thanks. Can you provide some intelligence on The Minnetonka Game & Fish Club and The Minneapolis Rifle Club? MG&FC has membership info on the web site, but MRC is more mysterious.

GRRC also looks very interesting--1,000 yards is long distance in my book, having never shot anything like that distance. Is it possible to shoot there at the long distances casually, or only when they have organized events? I do not understand the layout of the range from the aerial photo on the web site and how it operates.

Mrc is more for people that compete from what I understand. If you just want to shoot casually you should join mgf. The range is nice. The multi purpose range is the best part in my opinion. A member of one may be able to clarify the difference. My input listed above is just for reference.

Once you are a member at grrc you may use the 1000 yard range as you please. That is assuming it is not in use. It involves putting up two road blocks and two sets of flags as I recall. I have only been a member for a year. The multi purpose range is nice when you are alone. It is too wide in my opinion. You have to shut down the whole thing to check targets. The multi purpose goes to 200. The waiting list is pretty short too. Or at least it was last year. If you have not shot at 1000 it would be a good idea to warm up at the 200 and then 600.

I could show you around sometime this winter. I have a couple new guns that I want to shoot. Plus I just ordered a 50 today!
Sigfan220

Postby xd ED on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:
cgk wrote:Very helpful, thanks. Can you provide some intelligence on The Minnetonka Game & Fish Club and The Minneapolis Rifle Club? MG&FC has membership info on the web site, but MRC is more mysterious.

Mrc is more for people that compete from what I understand. If you just want to shoot casually you should join mgf. The range is nice. The multi purpose range is the best part in my opinion. A member of one may be able to clarify the difference. My input listed above is just for reference.

Once you are a member at grrc you may use the 1000 yard range as you please. That is assuming it is not in use. It involves putting up two road blocks and two sets of flags as I recall. I have only been a member for a year. The multi purpose range is nice when you are alone. It is too wide in my opinion. You have to shut down the whole thing to check targets. The multi purpose goes to 200. The waiting list is pretty short too. Or at least it was last year. If you have not shot at 1000 it would be a good idea to warm up at the 200 and then 600.

I could show you around sometime this winter. I have a couple new guns that I want to shoot. Plus I just ordered a 50 today!

You're aware theres' a caliber restriction on the Gopher KD range( and maybe the multipurpose range as well). 50 bmg is verboten.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:11 am

That's weird I specifically asked and was told they only restrict 50BMG for matches. I was told it was OK for personal use. How do you get a copy of the rules anyway? The website didn't have them last time I checked.
Sigfan220

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:25 am

xd ED wrote:
Sigfan220 wrote:

You're aware theres' a caliber restriction on the Gopher KD range( and maybe the multipurpose range as well). 50 bmg is verboten.

OK it looks like they fixed the website and rules are posted now. I read thru and did not see any caliber restrictions for 50BMG. This matches what I was told during my range tour. Maybe this is an old rule that was eliminated?? Like I said I have only been a member for a year.
Sigfan220

Postby xd ED on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:52 am

I just joined Gopher this past summer. My sponsor is a board member. I had 2 major specific concerns when joining:
Drawing from a holster on the pistol range, and shooting the 50 BMG I have yet to acquire. (I had heard rumors of the 50 cal restriction)

No problem with holster work.
But 50 BMG is definitely out. The reason that I was given is the construction of the berm/ pit wall is such that a low shot could hit/ penetrate/ fracture the concrete pit wall.
I cannot say with absolute certainty what the caliber limit is on the MP range. It may not be considered an issue shooting into dirt.
As far as rules, etc-I was emailed copies when I was accepted. Check with your sponsor, the membership chair, or get back to me with an email address, and I'll forward what I have. I can't say I've read every line in the rule book, so I don't know that you'll find the caliber limitations listed. But I was told in no uncertain terms there was a rule. I suspect it's inline with the f class limit of .35".
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:00 pm

I've been trying to have a sanctioned FCSA 50BMG 1000 yard match competition for years only to be told "It's not allowed" = what a waste, a 1000 yard range going un-used.

So many Competition shooters here in the MidWest, and not allowed to shoot. Gun Control in its worst, and by a Shooting Organization. What's next, outlaw 30 caliber ???
OldmanFCSA

Postby xd ED on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:11 pm

I wouldn't say it's going unused, but I appreciate your sentiment. Who knows, maybe in time some members will work together to get it done ;-)
Besides I read on the interwebs that a real shooter can get the job done with a 22 rimfire MAG
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby MJY65 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:31 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:I've been trying to have a sanctioned FCSA 50BMG 1000 yard match competition for years only to be told "It's not allowed" = what a waste, a 1000 yard range going un-used.

So many Competition shooters here in the MidWest, and not allowed to shoot. Gun Control in its worst, and by a Shooting Organization. What's next, outlaw 30 caliber ???

It seems to be a common problem. Pretty tough to develop long range skills if you are only allowed to shoot on a league night. The restrictions that have been placed on certain ranges are getting pretty ridiculous. Nothing like killing interest in a sport by scaring off new shooters with a list of prohibited activities.
MJY65

Next

Return to Introductions