.22 LR

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: .22 LR

Postby ranger on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:23 am

Rodentman wrote:Yep, well since they still had some I figured I may as well also, so I odored 2 boxes. Thanks for the tip!

Your Welcome !
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby BigBlue on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:34 am

Midway has some 500 packs of Rem Thunderbolt for $22.49. Not too bad of a price.

ETA: Never mind...
BigBlue

Postby hard h2o on Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:44 pm

That Remington Cyclone stuff is some sooty rimfire.

I do not think I will be buying any more even if I see it at Cabela's.

Running the Remington Winchester through the Marlin after work today. Both had FTF and FTEs.

Switched over to Federal Game-Shock and CCI standard velocity. Not one hiccup.
hard h2o

Postby Rodentman on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:53 pm

ranger wrote:
Rodentman wrote:Yep, well since they still had some I figured I may as well also, so I odored 2 boxes. Thanks for the tip!

Your Welcome !

2 boxes of 500 shipped for Monday arrival!
Rodentman

Postby ranger on Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:40 pm

Rodentman wrote:
ranger wrote:

Your Welcome !

2 boxes of 500 shipped for Monday arrival!

Now that would be very fast shipping. :)
As of a couple minutes ago, they still have some in stock. They must have a ton of them in stock.
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby ranger on Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:46 pm

hard h2o wrote:That Remington Cyclone stuff is some sooty rimfire.
I do not think I will be buying any more even if I see it at Cabela's.

Are you referring to Remington Cyclones or Thunderbolts? I know Thunderbolts are known for being dirty, but haven't heard many complaints regarding the Cyclones.
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby shooter115 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks for the tip ranger. This is great because that's the ammo I use for 4 position rimfire league. Which kicks off in a couple weeks.

As far as Remington ammo goes. I think they've just had really crappy QC for at least the last 8-10 years. Lot to lot variations have been horrible. I had one lot of about 3K of the Golden Bullet variety that was so bad I was ready to throw them out. Glad I just tucked them away, because they came in pretty handy the last couple years. Even if 1 out of every 15 or so seem to lack any priming compound in the rim. It was better than nothing.
shooter115

Postby ranger on Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:03 pm

shooter115 wrote:Thanks for the tip ranger. This is great because that's the ammo I use for 4 position rimfire league. Which kicks off in a couple weeks.

As far as Remington ammo goes. I think they've just had really crappy QC for at least the last 8-10 years. Lot to lot variations have been horrible. I had one lot of about 3K of the Golden Bullet variety that was so bad I was ready to throw them out. Glad I just tucked them away, because they came in pretty handy the last couple years. Even if 1 out of every 15 or so seem to lack any priming compound in the rim. It was better than nothing.

I hope your order goes through OK. Personally, I think CCI Standard is great target ammunition, especially when shooting them in a rifle.
BTW, I sure hope this thread stays alive ;)
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby MaryB on Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:12 pm

Sold out 3 days after putting them out, local scammers scooped most according to the manager. I don't shoot that much in winter so I only grabbed 1 of them

BigBlue wrote:
MaryB wrote:Sign at the local bank, "22lr, $89 per 325" I had just came from the closest Walmart and had my receipt so I tacked up the section that had "Winchester M22 $49/1,000". Dude who is an assistant manager came running over to see if I wanted any so I pointed out my note to go to WalMart they had 300 boxes. He started to tear down my note when I reminded him of the rules. No touching other ads and notices. Bank manager came over to see what was happening and after he left she started laughing and said I really made him mad because he is sitting on 120,000 rounds and he doesn't shoot.

Where is there a WM with 300 boxes of M22 1000 packs? Thx.
MaryB

Postby hard h2o on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:28 pm

ranger wrote:Are you referring to Remington Cyclones or Thunderbolts? I know Thunderbolts are known for being dirty, but haven't heard many complaints regarding the Cyclones.

The cyclones.

Over the last few weeks I have purchased 4 boxes at Cabela's. Shot a couple of mags of them through the Marlin today. I was shooting some other stuff before the Remington fodder. Noticed right away the mags and bolt dirtied up right quick.
hard h2o

Postby usnret on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:17 am

I'm pretty sure all Cyclones are just Thunderbolts with a hollow point.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby shooter115 on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:00 am

IMHO, CCI and Federal have really become the front runners for domestically produced rimfire ammo. I haven't had the chance to try any of the newer Winchester offerings, but in the past most of their bulk ammo had a truncated bullet design that didn't feed well most reciprocating firearms. Even my my Marlin 39M had trouble digesting the old Winchester 333 bulk packs.
shooter115

Postby hard h2o on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:24 am

shooter115 wrote:IMHO, CCI and Federal have really become the front runners for domestically produced rimfire ammo. I haven't had the chance to try any of the newer Winchester offerings, but in the past most of their bulk ammo had a truncated bullet design that didn't feed well most reciprocating firearms. Even my my Marlin 39M had trouble digesting the old Winchester 333 bulk packs.

The Marlin and the 10-22 I have do not like the Winchester bulk stuff.

The Marlin really likes the CCI standard velocity and Mini-Mags and all varieties of Federal.
hard h2o

Postby ranger on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:34 am

usnret wrote:I'm pretty sure all Cyclones are just Thunderbolts with a hollow point.

Cyclones are 36gr and T-bolts are 40gr.

Could it be that 36gr HP Cyclones are the same as 36gr HP Golden Bullets without the brass/copper washed bullet?

Remington Ammunition Ballistic Specifications ◦Ammo Caliber: 22 Long Rifle
High Velocity Golden Bullet
◦Bullet Weight: 36 Grains
◦Ammo Muzzle Velocity: 1280 FPS
◦Ammo Muzzle Energy: 131 FT LBS
Bullet Type: Plated Hollow Point

Remington Ammunition Ballistic Specifications ◦Ammo Caliber: 22 Long Rifle
High Velocity Cyclone
◦Bullet Weight: 36 Grains
◦Ammo Muzzle Velocity: 1280 FPS
◦Ammo Muzzle Energy: 131 FT LBS
◦Bullet Type: Hollow Point
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby bobbydamit on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:24 pm

Grayskies wrote:Sorry to have to ask this, but...

Whats with the unavailability of .22 LR?

I see lots of talk about the return of the .22LR, but all I see for sale is .08 to .15 cents a shot. I can reload my .38's for that. But I cannot reload my .22's. I think as long as it takes a buck to shot one mag of .22's, it is gone as my go to plinking round and total fun recreation round to just sit and burn up a brick in an afternoon with the kids. I know folks at Federal and the cost of making them has not increased that much, that they cannot come down to nearly half that with out loosing their shirt. It is just another problem we have to live with and learn to open up other doors. Like finding scrap lead and trading it for boolits.
Making our own ammo is becoming a necessity rather than a hobby for us fixed income older retired guys. And More power to us for it. POOP on the .22's for now :roll: .
"The Devil Made Me Do It."
Geraldine
bobbydamit

PreviousNext

Return to Ammunition & Reloading