Waiting for permit to purchase in Lakeville!

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

Postby gargoyle999 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:53 am

Applied for my permit to purchase on Monday so waiting for that. I'm new to guns so have been reading a lot of reviews on different guns. Suggestions for a good gun to get to learn with would be appreciated!
gargoyle999

Re: Waiting for permit to purchase in Lakeville!

Postby Nougat on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:31 pm

completely new???! :o

a lever action .22 rifle then?
I didn't believe my dad about hangfires...thankfully the one I had went off before my investigation moved past just putting my trigger hand on the stock and just lowering it a bit.
Nougat

Postby Ghost on Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:40 pm

Welcome aboard

gargoyle999 wrote:Applied for my permit to purchase on Monday so waiting for that. I'm new to guns so have been reading a lot of reviews on different guns. Suggestions for a good gun to get to learn with would be appreciated!

Suggestions for what you plan to do with said gun would make recommendations easier. You want a revolver, single shot.... Caliber?? maybe you got the permit for an AR?
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost

Postby carbide on Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:44 pm

Welcome!

I'm relatively new to shooting, and this forum as well. What about guns interests you? What kinds of guns are you interesting in owning? What do you want to do with your guns?

I romanticized guns because of movies and videogames in my youth, and the fact my family never allowed them. As I got older I looked at it more from a political perspective, as exercising my rights as a "free" citizen. I own at least one firearm, and thoroughly enjoy shooting and exposing new shooters to the world of firearms.
carbide

Postby gargoyle999 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:03 pm

Good point about providing some more info! I'm looking at handguns and I'm thinking a .22 or 9mm to start with. Seems .22 ammunition is hard to find in stores but is available online. Want something to learn with first then home defense and eventually I'd get something to carry. My wife will be shooting it too so will be looking for something small enough for her but large enough for me.
gargoyle999

Postby westhope on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:20 pm

Probably the best investment you could make is take a introductory firearms course.

There are several instructors on this form. I would personally recommend Don Larsen or ttousi.

You only need a "Permit to Purchase" for a handgun or assault rifle in MN. No permit is needed to purchase a long gun.

Even with 22 LR being hard to find, I would still highly recommend it to start.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby gun_fan111 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:23 pm

Welcome. Getting wife a small gun is a common misconception - while getting something with the grip that is not too large is important, more mass always equals less recoil. Try to take her with you when you go pickin

I hear very good feedback on S&W M&P .22, although do not own one myself.
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby carbide on Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:41 am

I know Bill's Gun Shop and Range has an introduction to handguns course that includes everything you need - a gun to use, ammo, targets, hearing and eye protection, for about $100 per shooter. Once you're comfortable operating a handgun, you can rent one (or a few) of the many handguns Bill's has. It's $15 per rental, and they want you to buy at least one box of ammo from them, and lets not forget the range fee. It can get pricey if you want to try 4 handguns.
carbide

Postby Uffdaphil on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:43 am

Member Thunderjohn has recently opened a store near you in Savage. http://www.southwest-arms.com/ I would head over there and handle some to see what appeals to you. Then a training session for safe handling and correct technoque.

For a .22, good practice ammo is worth seeking out. The high percentage of misfires with junk is no fun. CCI mini-mag is good. Others can chime in what they like.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Ghost on Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:38 am

gargoyle999 wrote:Good point about providing some more info! I'm looking at handguns and I'm thinking a .22 or 9mm to start with. Seems .22 ammunition is hard to find in stores but is available online. Want something to learn with first then home defense and eventually I'd get something to carry. My wife will be shooting it too so will be looking for something small enough for her but large enough for me.

I'd recommend skipping the .22 and going to the 9mm and I'd also tend to stay with a larger framed pistol rather than a compact for ease of shooting and learning. Try the Springfield XD/XDM lines, Smith and Wesson M&P, Glock.... Get proficient (in all aspects: function, handling, shooting) before you go to a smaller sized gun which only brings the benefit of easier carry.

IMHO the .22 has the benefit of being cheaper to shoot but also has the disadvantage of not adequately reflecting a carry or defense gun. The 9mm actually is the carry or defense gun. Most people don't run enough ammo through their guns in a year that the ammo savings will matter.
Ghost

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:18 am

I still recommenced a .22 pistol to new shooters, take recoil out of the equation until they get the basic mechanics sorted out and develop good fundamentals. If you can't find ammo PM me and I'll put you on the right trail.

I suggest only two specific .22 LR pistols - the Browning Buckmark , or the Ruger Mark III - 22/45 series. Both start around $200-$250 in a basic configuration and, based on personal experience, are less picky about ammo than many of the lighter "lookalike" pistols modeled after larger siblings from the same manufacturers out there. They also have much better aftermarket support. The Browning is easier to field strip and clean so I'd probably rank it ahead of the Ruger for new shooter friendliness in that regard.

The basics class at Bill's is also a good suggestion, I'd take it with your wife before buying anything gun related and then go from there. The one thing I do suggest buying right away is a good set of electronic earmuffs, makes the range time with your instructor much easier - these are my favorite http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/howard- ... 0000083303 .
yuppiejr

Postby gun_fan111 on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:37 am

Ask the store to buy 22 ammo when you buy the gun, some have a stash in the back only sold with gun purchase. Plead with the guy at the counter to buy as much as you can, remind him it is for the misses as well :)
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby gargoyle999 on Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Uffdaphil wrote:Member Thunderjohn has recently opened a store near you in Savage. http://www.southwest-arms.com/

I was there Monday then headed over to the Lakeville PD to fill out my PTP! :D
gargoyle999

Postby gargoyle999 on Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:54 pm

Thank you for the feedback! I have lot of learning to do!
gargoyle999

Postby gargoyle999 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:55 am

Submitted Monday and received the permit on Friday! Thank you Lakeville PD!
gargoyle999

Next

Return to Introductions