Time to sign up for Feb. 21st Breakfast!!!

Other events and get togethers

Will you man/woman up and show up at the EFFEN Gopher bar on the 21st?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:42 pm

l will be coming by myself.
59%
I will be coming with one other person.
25%
I will be coming with two other people.
3%
I will be coming with three other people.
11%

Total votes : 27

Re: Time to sign up for Feb. 21st Breakfast!!!

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:05 pm

I'd like to believe you're right, but this is the FIRST breakfast that is $15 and not the decade old price of $10, and we can't get 40 people as it is. I'd really like to believe that the number of people that have gone to these has shrunk to such a point that there's nobody left but a few old timers, and that's the reason we're falling short. Sadly, maybe the price point is the problem, and people who will think nothing of blowing $25 for a paltry box of .380 ammo are balking at spending $15 for the chloresterol equivalent of a full cylinder of 500 S&W ammo.... :cry:

And then there are the infamous Gopher coneys, which are the ballistic equivalent of a 50 BMG round with the AP RDX explosive penetrator bullet.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:27 am

I'd love to attend, but I have Post 435 Gun Club's "Snow Storm of the Century" Mini-Palma match to run that morning.

Too bad not enough other members here seem to care.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby wasfuzz on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:40 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote: Too bad not enough other members here seem to care.

I think that that is a rather broad statement, many of us do not live metro so to make the trip can be a burden, as well as many younger members have a family life they must balance as well as their hobby life and in most cases family time wins out. I wish I could make it up but, after 4 trips this month to the cities, I just don't think I can justify driving 80 miles - to have brunch with the "guys". :roll:
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby xd ED on Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:13 pm

wasfuzz wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote: Too bad not enough other members here seem to care.

I think that that is a rather broad statement, many of us do not live metro so to make the trip can be a burden, as well as many younger members have a family life they must balance as well as their hobby life and in most cases family time wins out. I wish I could make it up but, after 4 trips this month to the cities, I just don't think I can justify driving 80 miles - to have brunch with the "guys". :roll:

Your points are well taken.

While not casting aspersions on anybody, there is the confusion and frustration of those hosting (and attending) various events that were once popular and highly anticipated, are now struggling to survive.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:07 pm

Well, if you live far away, then it makes no sense to spend all that gas money to come. The fact of the matter, however, unless I am sorely mistaken about the number of current members, this board has gotten much, much larger since its inception in 2007. I did a poll last year on this, and the original members only account for about 12% of the membership or less. Back then, 40 people would sign up in less than a week, and we had one event where we filled the place completely up with 65 saying they would come. The good news is that a few more people have stepped forward, so we're in the upper 30's, so this may come off after all.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby fieldgeneral on Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:57 pm

I will definitely be there. Been a while......sound like a place with bawdy character and humor.
fieldgeneral

Postby bensdad on Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:34 pm

I'll change my vote to +3 and bring the children. But if Ben eats all the sausages I won't be held responsible.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby bensdad on Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:38 pm

fieldgeneral wrote:I will definitely be there. Been a while......sound like a place with bawdy character and humor.

Just because we ARE characters, doesn't mean we HAVE character. (the Wolf).
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:44 am

Okay, we have 39 people, so the event is ON!! We can handle more people and would love to have more, BUT you must sign up before this coming Monday!! The reason for this is that if more people are coming, Cheri needs to know to buy more BACON!! BACON!! BACON!! and she normally does this on Tuesday before the event. See you there!!

As far as bawdy humor, the Gopher has it in spades, and it's also been the #1 dive bar in St. Paul for close to a decade, according to MSP magazine.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Lumpy on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:27 am

How faithful have pledges to bring x number of guests been in the past?
Lumpy

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:40 pm

It's never been an issue before, and in the past the only thing to worry about would be that 10 more people would show up at the last minute. Just voicing the concept itself is a first for these breakfasts and kind of a sad reality check, but I certainly understand where you are coming from under the circumstances. If there's a significant shortfall, I'll just pay for it out of my own pocket and not lose a whole lot of sleep over it. There are a LOT of things more important than money in this world, and one of them is hanging out in a bar at the edge of an urban war zone these days with other permit holders armed to the hilt. The 2nd Amendment is not just a pre-existing right on a piece of paper, but in Minnesota it's two or three pounds of steel/plastic & lead sticking out in plain view for all too see. I'm not saying OC is a good idea all the time, or even a majority of the time, but in the EFFEN Gopher bar it's the order of the day. The whole point of this is to enjoy the freedom to do this that some of us were denied for the first 50 years of our life.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby smurfman on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:57 pm

It looks like I can make it and I'll be bringing the wife along for an anniversary breakfast. It should be a shock to her as she doesn't know what type of an event this is. She doesn't know I carry either, it will be a double shock for her.
smurfman

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:27 pm

smurfman wrote:It looks like I can make it and I'll be bringing the wife along for an anniversary breakfast. It should be a shock to her as she doesn't know what type of an event this is. She doesn't know I carry either, it will be a double shock for her.

Oh, this'll be awesome. I won't miss it, just for this.
Pat Cannon

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:05 pm

I'll be rocking a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster with the 50 GI in it, so if you're standing behind me you can see how big the diameter of the bore is.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby armedwalleye on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:09 pm

Previously voted as me plus 3, but now updating my vote to me plus 5 and maybe 6.
Last edited by armedwalleye on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The weaponized fish.....
armedwalleye

PreviousNext

Return to Other Events