Starting up a Steel Shoot

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Postby goda0301 on Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:23 pm

I’m looking for feedback on starting up a steel shoot. (A Saturday or Sunday in March weather permitting) I belong to a smaller sportsmen’s club 30 miles west of metro. I’ve been to a couple of Gophers steels shoots but never really paid much attention to the different set ups etc... Ideally we are looking for info (and people with knowledge about the proper set up) This club has a larger club house with a 50 yard Pistol, 100 yard Rifle/Pistol, and a 200 yard Rifle. Also a trap tower, rabbit and smaller sporting clay set up. The range is basically goes unused... its a combination of lack of time and most of the members live in the country so we can just shoot out our back doors. We are looking for people that would like to become active members but we really want to get the younger generation involved. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. In a perfect world we would love to get a several knowledgeable people about steel shooting that would be willing to come and share/educated/instruct newbie’s and old junk yard dogs on different techniques and skills used for the sport. This club like most has little to no money so your pay would be in the form of a membership to the club or oscar meyer hotdogs. If we can get it put together I think it would be a great event that could get allot of new shooters educated so they would feel allot more comfortable when the more competitive Gopher steel shoots start up the next month.

Let me know
Thanks
Dave
goda0301

Re: Starting up a Steel Shoot

Postby JJ on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:21 pm

goda0301 wrote: If we can get it put together I think it would be a great event that could get allot of new shooters educated so they would feel allot more comfortable when the more competitive Gopher steel shoots start up the next month.

From a beginners competition standpoint, I think the current Gopher events are tough to beat as it is. They are really as much as a primer for IDPS, USPSA and such as they are anything else.

It kinda seems like reinventing the wheel.

:2cents:
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby igofast on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:18 pm

You only want to do 1x year?

There's a few ways you could go:
    Work with Gopher to do a similar format - however it sounds like you're right next door and as it's been said: Gopher already puts on a good show. I get that you would 'prep' people for Gopher, but I see it as stepping on toes unless you're working in conjunction with them.

Put on a NSSF Rimfire match:http://www.nssf.org/rimfire/#&panel1-1 (or similar)

Put on a Steel Challenge Match: http://steelchallenge.com/ (or similar)

Honestly, pick the rules and set up steel, it's not rocket surgery. Personally I think it's easier to attract beginners with rimfire, although the extended lack of available ammo is definitely a detriment. If you want to attract new people I would also take a play from Cowboy shooting and put big plates up at close range(still be safe, there's a minimum distance that you need to have them to not get caught by splashback, etc). Additionally I would take to heart the NSSF guideline that 90% of the people should hit the plate 90% of the time. Finally - keep the rules to a minimum. Safety absolutely must be enforced, but don't get bogged down in divisions(Gopher has 1 division(except for revolver day), and NSSF has 2: open or limited)

I personally would love to see a Steel Match setup - to my knowledge that doesn't exist anywhere publicly in MN. Being able to shoot the 'same' stages(Smoke & Hope is set up the same no matter where you shoot it) and comparing times against the big dogs would be a hoot. Having it a couple times a year would probably make more sense then, and if you could dedicate resources to it it could attract membership on it's own. BUT, I'm not a new shooter.
igofast

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:54 pm

Where? If you do try first check the schedule for the monthly shoots at Gopher Campfire. March is a bit crappy typically as is the first GC April shoot. GL
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby usnret on Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:34 pm

Proper steel targets are not cheap. Get a hold of the guys at Shoot Steel (shootsteel.com) and talk to them about the cost of targets.
What is the name of your club and where is it?
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Lights on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:43 pm

A steel challenge Match would be great.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby mrgoodwrench1985 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:13 pm

I might be interested. However the idea of having to pratice before you go to the real competition at gopher campfire is unnecessary the guys and gals at gopher campfire are nice and respectful and always happy to help new shooters. Espically china. she runs the group of newbs (of which i am one) every month. That being said in my opinion the more steel shoots the better. Where is this top secret club located? Oh and like larryflew said make sure they are not the same weekend as gopher or im out lol
mrgoodwrench1985

Postby PhilaBOR on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:01 am

Maybe a steel three-gun match? You've got facilities for all three.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby cobb on Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:34 pm

mrgoodwrench1985 wrote:I might be interested. However the idea of having to pratice before you go to the real competition at gopher campfire is unnecessary the guys and gals at gopher campfire are nice and respectful and always happy to help new shooters. Espically china. she runs the group of newbs (of which i am one) every month.

:iagree:
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby carbide on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:39 pm

No trying to derail,

but what is a "steel shoot"? I understand the shooting of steel targets LOL.
carbide

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:56 pm

carbide wrote:No trying to derail,

Exactly. In this case there are 4 stations of 5 targets. You shoot each station 4 times. The worst time is thrown out. The total time for all stations ranks where you end up. There is also a man vs man that is optional after the main match.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:07 pm

LarryFlew wrote:
carbide wrote:No trying to derail,

Exactly. In this case there are 4 stations of 5 targets. You shoot each station 4 times. The worst time is thrown out. The total time for all stations ranks where you end up. There is also a man vs man that is optional after the main match.

Yep. Based on Steel Challenge competition.
Pat Cannon

Postby tator2k on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:10 am

Personally I don't think there's any toe stepping. It not like you're planning on trying to have on the same days. I know a lot of newer shooters that would love to see more places and dates to shoot steel within a similar setting as Gopher.

10-15 years ago we'd drive all over the state every other weekend for bowling pin matches, Virginia, Duluth, Rochester, occasionally other more local ranges would put on an event.

I'd also like to know the location and more details.
tator2k

Postby carl k on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:28 am

I'm new to the state and have been looking for a Steel Challenge match but can't find any.

I'm definitely in for Steel Challenge.
carl k

Postby Pat Cannon on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:32 pm

carl k wrote:I'm new to the state and have been looking for a Steel Challenge match but can't find any.

I'm definitely in for Steel Challenge.

Well then you'll enjoy the Gopher Campfire matches so we'll see you April 18th!

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=52934&p=534367

Here's where it is.
Pat Cannon

Next

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs