Starting up a Steel Shoot

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Re: Starting up a Steel Shoot

Postby Keith on Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:46 am

Also, Gopher Rifle and Revolver, in Harris, usually does monthly steel shoots throughout the summer months. Haven't seen an actual schedule for 2015, yet. They don't utilize any falling steel so .22's can be used, too. They also allow .22 rifles. At one point they had a division for pistol caliber carbines. Don't know if that's still the case.

Usually shoot three stages in the morning. Break for lunch and shoot three more stages. Typical steel challenge style stages but maybe not the actual "official" stages that you may be used to.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby xd ED on Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:26 am

Keith wrote:Also, Gopher Rifle and Revolver, in Harris, usually does monthly steel shoots throughout the summer months. Haven't seen an actual schedule for 2015, yet. They don't utilize any falling steel so .22's can be used, too. They also allow .22 rifles. At one point they had a division for pistol caliber carbines. Don't know if that's still the case.

Usually shoot three stages in the morning. Break for lunch and shoot three more stages. Typical steel challenge style stages but maybe not the actual "official" stages that you may be used to.

While the Event Calendar has yet to be updated, there was a hand out at a recent meeting for various action events.
Here are the Steel Shoots listed:
May 16- Steel Challenge #1
Jun 13 - Steel Challenge #2 (.22 rimfire only)
Jun 27 - Steel Challenge #3
Aug 15 - Steel Challenge #4 (.22 rimfire only)
Sep 12 - Steel Challenge #5

Check the GRRC Web Site for future events
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:24 pm

I'll be darned, looks like Gopher Rifle and Revolver in Harris is actually a little closer to my house than Hutch. Hmmm.
Pat Cannon

Postby ex-LT on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:35 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:I'll be darned, looks like Gopher Rifle and Revolver in Harris is actually a little closer to my house than Hutch. Hmmm.

It's about a horse apiece for me. 69 miles to Harris, 71 to Gopher Campfire.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby goatroper on Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:17 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:I'll be darned, looks like Gopher Rifle and Revolver in Harris is actually a little closer to my house than Hutch. Hmmm.

Hope your not planning on desertion, I'm not planning on painting the targets alone!
"Tell me... do you like music, Mr. Finch?"
goatroper

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:44 pm

goatroper wrote:

Hope your not planning on desertion, I'm not planning on painting the targets alone!

:) Nah. In fact it looks like the May shoot is the only conflict (since I don't own a .22).
Pat Cannon

Postby carl k on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:27 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:
carl k wrote:I'm new to the state and have been looking for a Steel Challenge match but can't find any.

I'm definitely in for Steel Challenge.

Well then you'll enjoy the Gopher Campfire matches so we'll see you April 18th!

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=52934&p=534367

Here's where it is.

Thanks for the info. I'll see you there!
carl k

Postby Snowgun on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:21 pm

FYI

If anyone is looking to know what kind of action shooting matches and events are going on (IDPA, USPSA, STEEL, TAC SHOTGUN, 2 GUN, 3 GUN, MISC) in the MN area, this is the premier calender:

https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?s ... %2FChicago

It is currently hosted by Jomar (who helps run the MN3gungroup) with support from many people (like myself) who make sure he knows as many schedules as possible. It is current for 2015. He has the gopher steel challenge and the gopher (hutch) steel shoots already listed on the schedule.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby Pat Cannon on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:31 pm

Snowgun wrote:If anyone is looking to know what kind of action shooting matches and events are going on (IDPA, USPSA, STEEL, TAC SHOTGUN, 2 GUN, 3 GUN, MISC) in the MN area, this is the premier calender:

https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?s ... %2FChicago

Thanks, and thanks to Jomar!
Pat Cannon

Postby mrgoodwrench1985 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:19 pm

goda0301 wrote:I’m looking for feedback on starting up a steel shoot. (A Saturday or Sunday in March weather permitting) I belong to a smaller sportsmen’s club 30 miles west of metro. I’ve been to a couple of Gophers steels shoots but never really paid much attention to the different set ups etc... Ideally we are looking for info (and people with knowledge about the proper set up) This club has a larger club house with a 50 yard Pistol, 100 yard Rifle/Pistol, and a 200 yard Rifle. Also a trap tower, rabbit and smaller sporting clay set up. The range is basically goes unused... its a combination of lack of time and most of the members live in the country so we can just shoot out our back doors. We are looking for people that would like to become active members but we really want to get the younger generation involved. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. In a perfect world we would love to get a several knowledgeable people about steel shooting that would be willing to come and share/educated/instruct newbie’s and old junk yard dogs on different techniques and skills used for the sport. This club like most has little to no money so your pay would be in the form of a membership to the club or oscar meyer hotdogs. If we can get it put together I think it would be a great event that could get allot of new shooters educated so they would feel allot more comfortable when the more competitive Gopher steel shoots start up the next month.

Let me know
Thanks
Dave

Well did you ever get anything planned out?
mrgoodwrench1985

Previous

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs