F-Class League - Elk River Sportsman's Club

Local shooting clubs and leagues

F-Class League - Elk River Sportsman's Club

Postby nosualc on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:13 am

The Elk River Sportsman’s Club would like to invite you to our weekly F-Class League. Our league is very friendly, informal, and open to members of our club as well as non-members. New shooters are welcome. We start the season at 300 yards and shoot at 600 yards thereafter.

F-Class is the fastest growing long range rifle sport in the world. Even if you are not interested in competitive shooting, it is a fantastic way to improve your long range marksmanship, and reloading skills. It’s also a ton of fun!

We require that all new F-Class shooters attend the March 30 Orientation meeting (7PM). There, we will outline the basics of F-Class competition, safety, equipment requirements, and go over how our league operates. This meeting will be held at the Elk River Sportsman’s Club clubhouse in Elk River, MN.

Shooters who have shot in our league in the past, or those who hold NRA mid or long range classifications need not attend orientation.

See attachment for contact details.

http://www.ersportsman.com
Attachments
2015 F-Class Flyer.pdf
(201.38 KB) Downloaded 239 times
nosualc

Re: F-Class League - Elk River Sportsman's Club

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:25 pm

Any cailber/cartridge limitation?
OldmanFCSA

Postby nosualc on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:43 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:Any cailber/cartridge limitation?

The only hard and fast limitation on caliber/cartridge are that of NRA highpower rules: No larger than .35 caliber.

-nosualc
Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike
nosualc

Postby cs tunes on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:19 pm

Will the 300yd match be a standard round count (20-20-20 + sighters) or is it abbreviated?

Looking forward to joining this year as my freshman year in F T/R.

Thanks
cs tunes

Postby nosualc on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:35 am

cs tunes wrote:Will the 300yd match be a standard round count (20-20-20 + sighters) or is it abbreviated?
Looking forward to joining this year as my freshman year in F T/R.

CS, welcome! I look forward to seeing you there, make sure you introduce yourself. You're gonna have a lot of fun.

The short answer to your question is that for the 300 yard matches you will shoot 20 rds for record, 2 sighters, and maybe another 10-20 to verify your 300 yard zero and verify that your equipment will enable you to zero out to 600 yards.

The longer answer is that we shoot each league night as a single match. After registration and staging we split into 3 relays (shooter, scorer, pits). Each leg of the relay takes about 30 minutes, maybe a little more at the beginning of the season. Because we start shooting at 6pm, we only have enough daylight (especially early in the season) to get in one complete rotation. Later in the season when daylight permits we are able to get into two complete rotations.

We'll cover this and the rest of the details of the league at the March 30 orientation.

-nosualc
nosualc

Postby PRS on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Can you play with a Deer gun?
PRS

Postby nosualc on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:02 am

PRS wrote:Can you play with a Deer gun?

It depends on the specifics of the deer gun. Without the specifics of your deer gun, it's hard for me to say whether it would be up to it or not. Where typical deer rifles run into trouble are optics and barrel construction.

Optics need to track well and have enough vertical adjustment to come up at least 15MOA from a 100 yard zero. Optics need to have enough magnification to actually see our target. 600 yards is a long way.

Barrels need to be heavy enough to withstand the heat generated by 22+ rounds in 22 minutes. Lighter weight barrels tend to start spraying shots at 600 yards when they get hot, enough to take you off target. This is a safety hazard for folks manning the targets as well as our neighbors.

We cover all this and more at the orientation. If your interested, I hope that you can attend, we'd love to have you.

-nosualc
nosualc

Postby Erud on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:08 am

nosualc wrote:Optics need to have enough magnification to actually see our target. 600 yards is a long way.

Hey, c'mon Jon - you know there's still some of us out here that don't use any magnification at 600 yards! ;)
Erud

Postby nosualc on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:36 am

Erud wrote:
nosualc wrote:Optics need to have enough magnification to actually see our target. 600 yards is a long way.

Hey, c'mon Jon - you know there's still some of us out here that don't use any magnification at 600 yards! ;)

Yes, and I can't figure out how y'all do it, especially as well as you do :)

Eric brings up a good point. We also have a traditional high-power league that is run in a similar way to our F-Class league. This league shoots on Tuesday nights using iron sights (specialized, precisely calibrated target sights) and slings. The orientation on March 30 will also cover this league.

-nosualc
nosualc

Postby Erud on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:59 am

nosualc wrote:
Erud wrote:

Yes, and I can't figure out how y'all do it, especially as well as you do :)

Eric brings up a good point. We also have a traditional high-power league that is run in a similar way to our F-Class league. This league shoots on Tuesday nights using iron sights (specialized, precisely calibrated target sights) and slings. The orientation on March 30 will also cover this league.

-nosualc

Big targets help a LOT!

Seriously though, ERSC has a great bunch of guys and world-class facilities. Anybody looking to dip there toe in the waters of competitive shooting should definitely give this a try. Or the Highpower league on Tuesdays, of course.
Erud

Postby atomic41 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:16 pm

This looks like a great way to start competing, I'm thinking of doing it. Is there a class for an AR10? I would like to shoot mine if possible. Is a fixed 16x magnification a good scope for this? I'm running a 2.5-10x now but was thinking of picking up a bigger fixed magnification.

EDIT: I will check out your links and look for rules
atomic41

Postby nosualc on Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:31 pm

There are two classes in F-Class. F T/R and F Open. F Target/Rifle is for .223 and .308 cartridges only. F Open is everything else.

If your AR10 is a .308, you could shoot in F T/R.

16x or more would be a good upgrade. You'll soon wish you had more :) 10x is pretty tough at 600 yards.

-nosualc
nosualc

Postby atomic41 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:57 pm

nosualc wrote:There are two classes in F-Class. F T/R and F Open. F Target/Rifle is for .223 and .308 cartridges only. F Open is everything else.

If your AR10 is a .308, you could shoot in F T/R.

16x or more would be a good upgrade. You'll soon wish you had more :) 10x is pretty tough at 600 yards.

-nosualc

Excellent, thank you.

Would a 20x be decent for this 600 yd F Class? I'm a fan of the SWFA classic series and their 20x is a very reasonable $300. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Classic-Riflesc ... 12502.aspx
atomic41

Postby nosualc on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:39 pm

A 20x Super Sniper would be a fine upgrade over a 2.5-10. I've never owned one, but they're not uncommon in our league. What I've heard is that they track pretty well, and OK optically. A good inexpensive way to get your feet wet.

I would suggest 1/4 MOA clicks. Mils are fine, but are more in vogue with tactical type shooters due to its military origin. In F-Class (or NRA high-power) we tend to coach and talk in MOA. Either will work, but you'll need to do conversions if you choose Mils.

-nosualc
nosualc

Postby atomic41 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks I appreciate it. I'll probably buy a scope soon and plan to attend the orientation meeting.
atomic41

Next

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs