Gun Cleaning made simple and easier

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Gun Cleaning made simple and easier

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:41 pm

As some of you know I shoot 50 BMG in FCSA Competition. I have always hated cleaning my gun. It involved Anhydrous Ammonia, BoreTech Copper Remover, Boretech Carbon Remover, then scrub the heck out of the barrel until it was squeaky clean. And, I have had to go through the entire process as many as three times (as long as 1.5 - 2.5 hours) to get it properly cleaned.

Well, today, I decided to try a product called "Wipeout" spray foam, that another top 50 competitor suggested. All I can say is WOW! I sprayed the foam into the chamber until it ran out my muzzle brake. It the directed me to let it set for 1 hour. It also instructed to NOT brush the barrel.

After 1 hour I came back and put a cotton patch over my brush for a tight fit, and I could not believe how much "Blue"- Copper, Black- Carbon that came out of what I thought, was a clean barrel. I ran three dry patches (one way, breach to muzzle only) and could not believe how clean my "already clean" barrel is.

No continuous brushing, no multiple chemicals and they claim that it will be much easier to clean, now, when I use the same process.

I'm not easily impressed with cleaning items. But, this Wipeout Foam has made my life easier and I am totally impressed. Just follow their directions and you don't even oil the inside of the barrel when finished cleaning. It leaves a good rust inhibitor. :cheers:

I am not related to this company in ANY way and get nothing for posting this. I just wanted to share, as I'm sure there are others, that don't enjoy the cleaning process.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: Gun Cleaning made simple and easier

Postby crbutler on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:51 pm

Wipe out also has a more conventional format, patch out that is the same stuff, but you apply it like traditional solvents...works as well, but a little more intensive as you don't spray it in. Works well.

They also make an accelerator that speeds it up. Don't have to wait hours.

Barret makes something that pretty much works the same.

I have been using the patch out and the Barrett stuff for a while. Works well,but you can get fooled by heavy carbon.

The Barrett and the patch out are much more economical as you don't waste most of it as a spray foam.
crbutler

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:50 pm

I plan to use the accelerator after I shoot the gun again. I may try the patch system, once I know the gun is totally clean.

Thanks for posting the info
NRA RSO

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby xd ED on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:03 am

Thanks for the info.
Anyone use their 'lead-out' cleaner?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby wasfuzz on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:10 pm

Hey BigDoggy - Oldman says it is easy to clean them - He just makes you do it!!!!
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Scratch on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:40 pm

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try on my bolt guns!
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:34 pm

wasfuzz wrote:Hey BigDoggy - Oldman says it is easy to clean them - He just makes you do it!!!!

Yeah, somehow he disappears when I start cleaning the guns. The only issue with his is that my short arms aren't long enough to do it without having to walk half a mile by the time I'm done cleaning his. :shock: If he'd quit using that Vihtavouri Powder and stop trying to push his 808 gr bullets 3400 fps, his damn gun wouldn't get so friggin dirty :cogitating:

He has those Gorilla Arms and reaches end to end with no problem. One our mutual friends that also shoots 50's with us, watched Oldman pull a bullet from a case, just using his bare hands :o He gave Oldman the nickname of "Gorilla Grip" and it has stuck with him. I've tried doing it and worked one for more than 15 minutes and could not budge it. Gave it ot OM and in 30 seconds, he had the bullet out of the case. Just makes me shake my head.....
NRA RSO

BigDog58

Postby ex-LT on Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:00 am

BigDog58 wrote:
wasfuzz wrote:Hey BigDoggy - Oldman says it is easy to clean them - He just makes you do it!!!!

Yeah, somehow he disappears when I start cleaning the guns. The only issue with his is that my short arms aren't long enough to do it without having to walk half a mile by the time I'm done cleaning his. :shock: If he'd quit using that Vihtavouri Powder and stop trying to push his 808 gr bullets 3400 fps, his damn gun wouldn't get so friggin dirty :cogitating:

He has those Gorilla Arms and reaches end to end with no problem. One our mutual friends that also shoots 50's with us, watched Oldman pull a bullet from a case, just using his bare hands :o He gave Oldman the nickname of "Gorilla Grip" and it has stuck with him. I've tried doing it and worked one for more than 15 minutes and could not budge it. Gave it ot OM and in 30 seconds, he had the bullet out of the case. Just makes me shake my head.....

Just tell him you were just loosening it up for him. ;)
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Return to Reviews