First AR Options?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

First AR Options?

Postby PowderBurn14 on Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:18 pm

Hey all, I finally want to get my first AR. What set this all in motion was some research on the 300 Blackout. I am really liking the potential of this little cartridge for close range deer hunting. So, which AR? Buy or Build? There is a lot to learn and I have only scratched the surface. I like the Sig M400 so far, Olympic K16 looks nice. Do I spring for a Rock River AR? My budget is around $1000-$1400 give or take. Help?!
"A Golf Course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good Rifle Range" :)
PowderBurn14

Re: First AR Options?

Postby fjrdc on Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:42 pm

.300 Blackout...., build it . spend the time researching the barrels , ( I recommend Ballistic Research) and all the parts to make it "YOURS"
You will save a considerable amount of money IF you have the confidence to do a build .
Just don't dawdle about , DO IT!!
" Little By Little One Travels Far"
fjrdc

Postby Ghost on Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:03 pm

Agreed, build it. AR's are like Barbies you will want to undress it and change it over and over so by the tools now and start piecing it together. It's very easy.

I'm a LaRue fan so I'd recommend getting a barrel from them while they have the sale going (goes till the end of the year). But I think he's only selling 5.56 barrels on the sale. I don't think he's put the BO online for public consumption.

Also consider a LaRue MBT trigger if you build. And all LaRue polymer is on sale too.
Ghost

Postby Randygmn on Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:12 am

For a manufactured rifle in 300blk, you can't get any better than the folks who developed/perfected the round, Advanced Armament Corp (AAC). They are at the top of your budget, but their quality is top notch. They also come with a Geissele 2 stage trigger. Their muzzle device is also the industry standard for 300blk.
Randygmn

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:11 pm

From your 3 I would only get a Sig, pass on the other two. I just finished another upper, I've had good luck with cheap barrels so far. I got a cheap($130) barrel from Primary Arms for my 16" then I just picked up an 8" CMMG ($170 ish) for my latest build. Both function great subsonic, I have shot a little super though the 16" and it ran fine. Both barrels have pistol length gas systems. I am working on another and am trying a Ballistic Advantage this time. It's a fun caliber! I think it is best enjoyed subsonic suppressed. For bullets I have been using Berry's plated 220gr, they run great.
Sigfan220

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:07 pm

I'll agree, build it and then if you don't reload I would plan on it. The versatility of the 300 blackout has intrigued me too. I built my first AR and am in the process of building a 300 blackout now. I have not bought the tools yet as I've borrowed them as needed from others. You can spend a lot or a little and you can always upgrade parts later. I've gone cheap on some parts and more expensive on others. So far I've been very happy with my cheap PSA EPT trigger after combining it with a set of JP reduced power springs. For $40 total cost I've got a smooth single stage trigger with a 3.5lb pull. But the JP Enterprises handguard at a cost of ~$220 was something I had to have regardless of the cost.

For my 300 blackout I've got a barrel on order from Black Hole Weaponry with their C5 gas system that has a gas block mounted between pistol and carbine length. They claim it will more reliably function both supersonic and subsonic without changes. It's the only part I'm still waiting for before I get it all built. There are some decent inexpensive barrels out there though too.
grimbeaver

Postby Uffdaphil on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:41 pm

I went with AAC mainly because their rep for dependability with supers or subs suppressed without needing an adjustable gas block. So far no malfs with 9" or !6".
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby PowderBurn14 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks guys. I do reload and recently bought all the components and dies. I plan to buy the rifle or build in November sometime. Where do I start a build? Brownell's? Midway? And tools?
"A Golf Course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good Rifle Range" :)
PowderBurn14

Postby Ghost on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:55 pm

PowderBurn14 wrote:Thanks guys. I do reload and recently bought all the components and dies. I plan to buy the rifle or build in November sometime. Where do I start a build? Brownell's? Midway? And tools?

Start by watching assembly videos on YouTube and both Brownells and Midway have videos also. By watching the videos you can see the process and see what tools are used.

There's also a good write up on AR15.com on assembly here http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_Assemble_your_own_LOWER__UPPER__FREE_FLOAT__TRIGGER__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.html

The most important tool to me is a good vise.

Additional non common tools:
Roll pin punches
Roll pin starter punches
Armorers tool
Torque wrench
Clamshell or geissele reaction rod

There's also an AR builder somewhere at Brownells that helps you pick components but I've never used it.

Don't skimp on barrel or trigger they are the most important components to a good build.

These really are simple builds
Ghost

Postby grimbeaver on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:10 am

If you think you are going to build start shopping for a stripped upper and lower NOW. With the upcoming election finding the ones you want could be tough. Given your budget you'll be looking at forged parts for the upper and lower and both are very difficult to find right now. The cost for both will be as little as $120 ($60 each) depending what you chose so it's not a big expense to open your wallet for ahead of schedule.

As for where to start buying there are tons of options. Places like Primary Arms and Palmetto State Armory are more AR oriented. But there's tons of small shops that make various parts.

Brownells has a PDF "parts list" that is supposed to help you figure out what you need but I found it terribly confusing.

For the lower you will be buying some sort of lower parts kit. They come in various levels of completeness. If you take a look at some of the "Lower Build Kits" at Palmetto you will get an idea of all the parts required. Most of these packages include everything you need to build out the lower:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05 ... -kits.html

A trigger can range from what's included in the build kit to $250+. What you need depends on what you plan to do with it and what you feel like you require. As I said before I've got a Palmetto EPT trigger that came in my build kit. Out of the box it was 5.75lbs and not enjoyable to shoot. I put on JP Enterprise springs (JPS3.5) for $10 which brought it down to 3.5lbs and now I feel like I've got a pretty good trigger. I'm happy enough with it that I'm doing the exact same thing in my second build.

For the upper a few make "parts kits" but if you are doing a free float handguard they will include a bunch of parts you will not need. For the most part you will need:
* Forward assist (or plug)
* Ejection port cover
* Bolt carrier group
* Charging handle
* Handguard
* Barrel
* Gas block
* Gas tube
grimbeaver

Return to Long Guns