Bass Pro Shop buying Cabela's

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Bass Pro Shop buying Cabela's

Postby xd9 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:23 am

Cabela's stock soars after $5.5 billion buyout deal with Bass Pro Shops http://on.mktw.net/2cMaNNC

http://reut.rs/2dk4teC
xd9

Re: Bass Pro Shop buying Cabela's

Postby Ghost on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:46 am

I like cabelas a lot more than bass pro
Ghost

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:25 am

They've been talking about this since July and it jumped 10 points back then as well. I didn't buy as much after that as I should have.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Sorcerer on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:52 am

Cabelas and Bass Pro both now have high prices. Cabelas used to be my go to place. Then Gander built stores near most every Cabelas. So to compete with Gander, Cabelas razed there prices and got as stupid as Gander on new and used firearm prices. I don't have a cabelas card or points. If I need all that to get something for $15.00 less, I can generally find it at around the same price at one of our home town gun shops. If I'm near a Cabelas I'll go in for the entertainment value to see the price I shouldn't be paying.
Sorcerer

Postby Snakeman721 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:02 pm

Ageed. Cabela's gun prices are high now. Their ammo prices aren't much better. Have to wait for a sale to see anything resembling normal pricing. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby Ghost on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:36 pm

Snakeman721 wrote:Ageed. Cabela's gun prices are high now. Their ammo prices aren't much better. Have to wait for a sale to see anything resembling normal pricing. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Cabelas does price match. I bought an XDm right when they came out and price matched against sportmans warehouse to save $100 but I also had a spend $500 get a $100 gift card. Was a good day.

I don't like bass pro because I like name brand stuff and not Red Head everything.
Ghost

Postby shooter115 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:09 pm

$5.5B.....Wow. Thirty some years ago they were just a little mail order outfit in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. I remember going to the first Cabelas store when I was a little kid. Dad was driving truck at the time and had me with as a passenger. I also remember him disconnecting the speedometer so nobody would know we drove the semi like 200 miles out of our way to go there. Sssshhhh.
shooter115

Postby ranger on Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:57 pm

From Cabela's website regarding the merge with Bass Pro.
http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custser ... ommyLetter
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:10 pm

shooter115 wrote:$5.5B.....Wow.

Google news said 4.5 billion. But its a merger or sale? News said sale, cabelas news letter said merger. Both sell over priced everything. I miss sportsmans warehouse!
Bearcatrp

Postby BigBlue on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:17 am

shooter115 wrote:$5.5B.....Wow. Thirty some years ago they were just a little mail order outfit in the middle of nowhere Nebraska. I remember going to the first Cabelas store when I was a little kid. Dad was driving truck at the time and had me with as a passenger. I also remember him disconnecting the speedometer so nobody would know we drove the semi like 200 miles out of our way to go there. Sssshhhh.

$4.5B, I believe.

But I remember ordering from them when they were just a catalog business in the mid-80's. Always loved looking through those catalogs with all that stuff I couldn't find anywhere else locally.

BB
BigBlue

Postby igofast on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:58 am

Bearcatrp wrote:
shooter115 wrote:$5.5B.....Wow.

Google news said 4.5 billion. But its a merger or sale? News said sale, cabelas news letter said merger. Both sell over priced everything. I miss sportsmans warehouse!

If your buying it's a sale, if you're being bought it's a merger, regardless of what the actual details(sale as I understand it) are. It will be interesting to see whether all the Cabela's stores flip to Bass Pro or if they let Cabela's keep their 'identity'.

I think Cabela's has great prices, but not if you walk in off the street. If you have one of their credit cards they regularly send out coupons for 10-20% off, sometimes doing sales on guns. Online they regularly have 10% off, and if you combine with gift cards and reference websites(I put instructions on another post) you can get 30% off or so. In store I usually head over to the used guns(some are great deals, some are near retail) and back to the bargain cave(almost never a deal unless you happen to get a tag color that is the discount of the month). I have a significant amount of their branded clothing that I feel is a great value when they clearance it out. Also anything Cabela's branded has(had?) a lifetime warranty.

I'm attracted to Bass Pro the same way I'm attracted to Gander - not at all. But they still have around a year to close the deal and iron out the specifics.

I miss Sportsman's Warehouse as well, they definitely had the best prices on new firearms for a 'major retailer' and were always well stocked on reloading components - but that was a long time ago. I still occasionally order online from them.
igofast

Postby MJY65 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:00 am

BigBlue wrote:But I remember ordering from them when they were just a catalog business in the mid-80's. Always loved looking through those catalogs with all that stuff I couldn't find anywhere else locally.
BB

When the retail stores first opened, it was really fun going there. They had every type of bulk lure component in every color, etc. Stuff you wouldn't find at FF. Now, half of the square footage is the boat show room and casual clothes.
MJY65

Postby 2in2out on Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:40 pm

igofast wrote:If your buying it's a sale, if you're being bought it's a merger, regardless of what the actual details(sale as I understand it) are.

+1

I've heard $5.5 Billion from several sources. Cabela's also appears to have sold off their credit card (which I assumed was already managed by someone else). Sounds like that was a money-maker. I get the impression (from news and chatter online) that Cabela's has either been unofficially for sale for a while, or there were big-time investors making waves about a hostile takeover, forcing a sale to someone far more friendly to the business.

BassPro - in my option - is one of the few compatible suitors for Cabela's. Anyone else would probably not be as able to keep Cabela's prosperous, even if they did keep the Sydney HQ in full operation (it would eventually close when Cabela's was forced into bankruptcy through mismanagement, which is what I think would happen). Instead, the poor people of Sydney now have to wonder - and for a very good reason - whether any of them will have a job for much longer. But, the alternative would be eventual bankruptcy and dissolution of the entire company, and that's worse.

I don't buy much from BassPro, because there's very little (okay, it's actually NOTHING) that I can't get somewhere else cheaper - in many cases, much cheaper. So, I don't like the idea that Cabela's is joining forces with the sparkly-painted bass boats and high-priced stuff for guys who think they're KVD or Mike Iaconelli. But, I believe it's the only good option, and only time will tell if this is good for us as consumers.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby EAJuggalo on Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:56 pm

I like Bass Pro and have found their prices to be comparable to what I can find locally if I can find it locally at all. This past July I was in a Bass Pro in Indiana and had no problems picking up Mini Mags for the same price I paid for them three years ago when I couldn't even find them anywhere around here.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby Ghost on Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:26 pm

EAJuggalo wrote:I like Bass Pro and have found their prices to be comparable to what I can find locally if I can find it locally at all. This past July I was in a Bass Pro in Indiana and had no problems picking up Mini Mags for the same price I paid for them three years ago when I couldn't even find them anywhere around here.

So they are still panic prices?
Ghost

Return to In The News