Hello!

Say "howdy" and let everyone know who you are
Forum rules
MNGUNTALK is a real-life community, and as such, we'd love to hear who you are and learn what knowledge you have to offer. Post whatever details about yourself you feel comfortable with, and make sure to check out any events that are happening if you want to meet people in person.

Hello!

Postby GrettaMay on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:41 am

Hey Everyone!

I'm here to get some help and advice with my first AR build. I'd like to assemble most of it, and I'm not concerned about price or the amount of time it takes.
Any help or advice before I begin would be greatly appreciated. :D

Should I start with the lower receiver or upper?

- Gretta
GrettaMay

Postby PhilaBOR on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:48 am

Start with watching YouTube videos. Make sure you have good tools and fixtures including vise blocks for upper and lower. Not sure it matters whether you start with upper or lower. A good set of punches is important and I recommend pin starter punches too.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Re: Hello!

Postby usnret on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:57 am

MidwayUSA has a whole series on how to build an AR.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Ghost on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:48 am

usnret wrote:MidwayUSA has a whole series on how to build an AR.

Yes, Larry does a pretty good job and shows some nifty tools

Welcome GrettaMay, there's also a few build threads here where we have given our $0.02.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:51 pm

Welcome, many smart and experienced people on this forum. Internet videos are a great resource. Component recommendation are myriad. I think you have to define what you intend to use the rifle for. That will determine what you buy.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Uffdaphil on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:24 am

Welcome GM. I'd suggest reading a lot on http://www.m4carbine.net/forum.php about best procedures and who has good vs awful youtube how-tos. And research what specialty tools make the assembly easier. Here are some I consider indespensible:

Long bolt-catch pin starter punch
Magwell and upper receiver vise blocks
Geissele reaction rod
Magpul armorers wrench

Plus sets of roll pin and flat tip punches
Smaller (~1") ball peen hammer and rubber/plastic mallet
Lubes and grease. I like Slip2000 CLP, Weaponshield general grease and Aeroshell 33MS barrel nut grease.
Good torque wrench

I would definitely begin with building a lower receiver. A billet can be simpler to build with a screw-in bolt catch pin and integrated trigger guard. I prefer forged (Mega Gator) as they are light and cheaper. Just be careful not to break the ears pounding in trigger guard roll pin. A stock AR mil-spec trigger has a fairly heavy pull weight and are often gritty so I would buy a parts kit without trigger or pistol grip and add what you like. An ALG ACT trigger is smooth with mil-spec pull. A Geissele is fabulous with various single or two stage weights, but expensive - ~$200 on sale. I love the SD-C.

For uppers first decide if you want a rail with folding sights or A2 fixed front sight/gas block. I like both, but the fixed limits you to shorter rails and the gas block pins can be a bear to remove.The newer rails with low profile barrel nuts eliminate the need to time for the gas tube. Be aware of the inside diameter of rail to insure clearance of gas block.

I would get a barrel with a lo-profile gas block already installed. Lots of good options out there. Here is one:
http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-2 ... arrel.html

Theses dust covers are great. Easy on/off and no long pin that requires removing the rail to take off.
http://www.primaryarms.com/strike-indus ... -223-01-bk
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Hello!

Postby Prepared4Survival on Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Since you asked start with the Lower. It's the easy part and the tools are low cost. If you enjoy that order the vice and parts for the upper. If you didn't enjoy it order a complete upper and push the pins in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prepared4Survival

Postby Ghost on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:27 pm

Uffdaphil wrote: An ALG ACT trigger is smooth with mil-spec pull. A Geissele is fabulous with various single or two stage weights, but expensive - ~$200 on sale. I love the SD-C.

I'd wait for a $99 LaRue trigger before spending $200 on a Geissele, or just pay the normal "I can wait" $125 LaRue price.
Ghost

Return to Introductions